Herpes. Dr. Hayes

The Doctors

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
04 Herpes
My wife and I both have genital herpes. She had an acute
outbreak about 10 yrs ago and I have had
frequent oubreaks also. It seems she has hardly any break outs
or next to
none while I still get them
infrequently. Is there a chance cause she had an acute outbreak
that has
built up an imunity from it and why do I always get the
outbreaks. I use
the acyclovir oiintment for treatment?

Answer by Edmund M. Hayes, Pharm.D.

I would talk to your doctor and ask him about putting both of
you on one
of
the oral antiviral medications for herpes. They are very
effective and
reduce both the number of outbreaks and the length of time an outbreak
will
last. Valtrex is a product that I recommend since it only has
to be taken
once a day.

=========
DISCLAIMER: The material contained here should not be
considered a substitute for your physician. These are only
general guidelines to help you think about the medical
possibilities. You are encouraged to consult your own health
care provider with any questions or concerns you may have
regarding your condition. To find other suggested answers to
your question, refer to the Ask the Doctors Web site which
includes a complete index of questions and answers at http://www.flora.org/ask-doctor/.