in. H. Stanbro

The Doctors

Sep 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/21/00
27 Neck, shoulder and arm pain
For the last couple of months, I have been hampered by soreness and
stiffness in the back and to the right side of my neck. This
pain goes
across to my right
shoulder joint and down to my elbow. This then results in cold and
numbness in my right hand. The worst pain is in my shoulder
joint which
also spasms at times.
My bones crack and it burns across my back between the shoulder
blades. I suffered from rapid heart beat and just about passed
out from
weakness the first time I
had these symptoms occur. I have visited my physician and an
anti-inflammatory and anti-depressant were prescribed. I was not
able to
take the anti-inflammatory
because of stomach problems. I am able to take ibuprofen. I would
appreciate an opinion as to what might be causing this problem.

Answer
It could be some sort of spinal problem such as disk
compression or it
could just be muscle spasms. Did they do any x-rays to see if
you have
arthritis or degenerative changes or a disk problem in your
upper back? I
am not sure whether the heart rate and faintness you experienced are
related to the back pain or not. Severe pain can of course cause these
symptoms, but if your heart rate is always elevated even when
the pain
isn't there, something else may be going on. I'd get another
opinion.
=========
DISCLAIMER: The material contained here should not be
considered a substitute for your physician. These are only
general guidelines to help you think about the medical
possibilities. You are encouraged to consult your own health
care provider with any questions or concerns you may have
regarding your condition. To find other suggested answers to
your question, refer to the Ask the Doctors Web site which
includes a complete index of questions and answers at
http://www.flora.org/ask-doctor/.