Cipro for a child. Dr. Hayes

The Doctors

Sep 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/23/00
08 Cipro for child
My four year old child has kidney problems and the doctor gave
her cipro
375ml a day when I went to get it at the drug store
they said it was not given to kids this age very much because
there was
very bad long term side effects to it. Could you
please tell me if this is true?

Answer by Edmund M. Hayes, Pharm.D.

NOT True.
There just have not been any safety and efficacy studies done in this
age
group. It is used widely in kids with cystic fibrosis (over the age
of 5)
and there don't seem to be any problems. I would ask him to
show you
where he got his information since I don't think it exists.

=========
DISCLAIMER: The material contained here should not be
considered a substitute for your physician. These are only
general guidelines to help you think about the medical
possibilities. You are encouraged to consult your own health
care provider with any questions or concerns you may have
regarding your condition. To find other suggested answers to
your question, refer to the Ask the Doctors Web site which
includes a complete index of questions and answers at
http://www.flora.org/ask-doctor/.