The Genealogical Society of Greater Miami, Inc. February 14, 2010

Patti Thomas Martin

Feb 3, 2010, 10:59:34 PM2/3/10
to gs...@rootsweb.com, fld...@rootsweb.com, flmiam...@googlegroups.com, flmo...@rootsweb.com, flbr...@rootsweb.com

Please read the whole message:

I'm sending this reminder a bit early this time so that I can let you know about the Jewish Genealogical Society's meeting this coming weekend as well as other announcements.

The meeting for the Genealogical Society of Greater Miami is on February 14, 2010.  Please join us.  Our focus will again be "Love Letters."  Actually, bring any letter you have to share that may have helped you in your genealogical research or in understanding more about an ancestor.  Refreshments will be provided by Ann Doole, our favorite valentine!

The meeting will be at Florida Christian School's Library, 4200 SW 89 Avenue, Miami, FL 33165, starting at 2:00 pm.  Bring a friend and have a wonderful afternoon.

STEVE MORSE IS COMING TO THE

JGS of GREATER MIAMI ONCE AGAIN

         It’s our 21st ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION

Sunday, February 7, 2010

                                            Greater Miami Jewish Federation

                                     4200 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami, FL

                                                                              Tel: 305-576-4000

Free secure parking on site -  access in the rear of the building off of Federal Highway - gate code # 001 (push the # first)

EVERYONE WELCOME – NO ADMISSION FEE

Announcing the Historic Archive from The Palm Beach Post

 We have some exciting news to share!

 For the first time, readers are now able to browse the earliest editions of The Palm Beach Post, as well as The Palm Beach Daily News, the Miami News, The (Palm Beach) Tropical Sun and The Palm Beach Independent.  This Historic Archive, made possible in partnership with Google, spans the years 1897 through 1988.

 Best of all, unlimited use of this important new historical resource is free and provided at no charge to the public.

Reels of microfilm have been digitized to create the Historic Archive, which is fully searchable by keyword. Readers can zoom in on articles, move from page to page and create direct links to pages and articles of interest.

A few things to note:

 The Historic Archive contains hundreds of thousands of pages, but it is not a complete collection. New editions and pages will be added on a periodic basis.

  • The quality of the pages reflects the quality of the original microfilm.  Also, some pages are presented sideways.  Those will be corrected over time.
  • The link to the Historic Archive is here:

http://www2.palmbeachpost.com/archives

Readers who need advanced search options can find that here:

http://news.google.com/archivesearch/advanced_search?ned=us&hl=en

Any Issues or questions can be reported to histori...@pbpost.com.

Also, we will be providing a search box for the Historic Archive to any organization, business, school, library or nonprofit for placement on their web site. Anyone interested should send an email to histori...@pbpost.com.

Questions can be directed to me:

Gerry Barker, 561-820-3715, gba...@pbpost.com.

Visit the Historic Archive and take a stroll back through history. You’ll be amazed!

Gerry Barker

Manager - Content Revenue

REAL NEWS STARTS HERE

The Palm Beach Post

voice: 561.820.3715

office: 561.820.3715

cell:  561.635.7548

gba...@pbpost.com

http://www.palmbeachpost.com

MGS GENEALOGY SEMINAR

(sponsored by the Manasota Genealogical Society)

featuring RootsMagic!

RootsMagic is the latest and award-winning genealogy software which makes researching, organizing, and sharing your family history easy!

RootsMagic is A LEADING genealogy software program and BRUCE BUZBEE, founder and software developer, will be present to lead our featured topic!

WHEN:               SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 13, 2010

REGISTRATION:     8:00 A.M.   -  9:00 A.M.

                                                SEMINAR:              9:00 A.M.  -   3:00 P.M.

                                                 WHERE:            BETHEL  BAPTIST  CHURCH  FACILITIES

1805 30TH AVENUE W.

BRADENTON, FLORIDA  34210

COST:               $35 (includes lunch and morning snacks).  You must pre-register in order to receive lunch.

For additional information, visit our website at:

                   http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~flmgs/ or call:  Phyllis Doucette (941-744-0522)

I know this is past the February date, but the info is important:
The State Library and Archives is going to start hosting a Genealogy Day on the first Tuesday of every month – starting on Feb. 2.  We will give tours, have a variety of resources on display, demonstrate the Florida Memory website, and showoff some of the photos and films housed in the Archives.  We will also have staff on hand to show researchers around, review the available resources, answer questions, etc.

Patti Thomas Martin
Genealogical Society of Greater Miami, Inc.
P.O. Box 161648
Miami, FL 33116-1648

VPK

Feb 4, 2010, 2:20:42 AM2/4/10
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
I found a picture of an relative that used to live in the house, was located right next to the Orlange Bowl.  On back of this picture written "Daisy Belle (Walker) Johnson's home Miami, Florida neaar the Orange Bowl.

Any information or history of the building if it still exist?

Thank you,

V. Page Sellars-Kowalchik

Patti Thomas Martin

Feb 4, 2010, 3:23:49 PM2/4/10
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
Don't know.  I'm on my way to Miami.  Have you tried Google Maps Street View?  That might show you.

Feb 8, 2010, 4:39:36 PM2/8/10
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
In order to pinpoint a location, the city directories might be helpful.
Then it would be easy to look at a specific address with Google Maps. I
have used them to look at addresses in Chicago from the 1860's. It's pretty
cool. The main library of the Miami-Dade Public Library system has a lot of
city directories for the area in the Florida Collection. You can ask them
for assistance by using gene...@mspls.org

Patti

VPK,

Rel@ively,
Patrice

VPK

Feb 10, 2010, 12:29:55 PM2/10/10
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
Patti,

Thank you so much for this information, attached is Marian Francine F. Johnson modeling and her mother (Daisy Walker-Johnson sitting pose).  They were of high society because I remember they were talking about politics (ie., republicans and at that time Nixion was not Pres., but in the Congress).

I will definitely check out by using gene...@mspls.org for any possible leads.  I just wish I knew if she got married in Miami, FL or was it when they moved to Santa Ana (I think) CA.  Her husband had his own company out of Chicago so this makes me think this is how they somehow cross path.

Regards,

VPK
Daisy Walker Johnson0001.jpg
Marian Johnson in Miami FL0001.jpg

Patti Thomas Martin

Feb 11, 2010, 8:46:32 AM2/11/10
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
Have you checked the 1920 and 1930 census for them in Miami?  There are also the 1935 and 1945 Florida state census records.  As suggested before, the city directories would give you an address as you can look up the name.

Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:30 PM
To: flmiam...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [Dade] Daisy Belle (Walker) Johnson's home

VPK

Feb 11, 2010, 1:40:16 PM2/11/10
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
No I haven't.  She is probably not alive now but I know she (Marian) is no longer in Miami (if she is -- pretty old).  Good suggestion on the Census of Miami, I do believe it was probably at least in the 1940's to start but I do know when I was just a tot 1958 picture it was at least 10 years or more when she came to Florida.  I wish she stayed in contact with my parents once she married but to my knowledge she didn't.

Thank you for this information.

Val

Patti Thomas Martin

Feb 11, 2010, 11:35:23 PM2/11/10
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
The picture looks older than the 40's or 50's to me though I admit I'm no pro.  I suspect the 30's or before for the older one.

Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:40 PM

Patti Thomas Martin

Feb 11, 2010, 11:41:22 PM2/11/10
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
How does this info look?
Name: Daisy Johnson
Titles & terms (original):
Titles & terms (standardized):
Gender: Female
Precinct number: 051
Estimated precinct locality: Miami, Dade, Florida
Residence: Miami, Dade, Florida
Age: 19y
Estimated birth year: 1916
Birthplace: , , New York
Race or color (on document): white
Race or color: White
Relationship to head-of-household (original): Daughter
Relationship to head-of-household: Daughter
Film number: 2425152
Digital GS number: 4280087
Feb 11, 2010, 11:43:25 PM2/11/10
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
Name: Belle Johnson
Titles:
Titles & Terms - Prefix(standardized):
Death date: 20 Nov 1933
Death place: Miami, Dade, Florida
Gender: Female

Race or color (on document): white
Race or color (expanded): White
Age at death: 61y 11m 1w 3d
Estimated birth year:
Birth date: 10 Dec 1871
Birthplace: Greenview, Ill.
Marital status: Widowed
Spouse's name: Charles Johnson
Spouse's titles:
Spouse's Titles & Terms - Prefix(standardized):
Father's name: Abraham Lincoln Clary
Father's titles:
Father's Titles & Terms - Prefix(standardized):
Father's birthplace: Ill.
Mother's name: Sylvia Plunkett
Mother's titles:
Mother's Titles & Terms - Prefix(standardized):
Mother's birthplace: Ill.
Occupation: Home
Street address: 128 S W 11th Ave
Residence: Miami, Dade, Florida
Cemetery name: Woodlawn Pk.
Burial place:
Burial date: 22 Nov 1933
Funeral home:
Informant's name:
Additional relatives: X
Feb 11, 2010, 11:44:59 PM2/11/10
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
Oh! yes, of Daisy Bell (Walker) Johnson's .... my mind drifted to thinking about her daughter, Marian F. Johnson.  I did send you the modeling picture of her didn't I (Daisy's daughter) who stay in Miami until she married?  I think I have a picture of Daisy's headstone from a trip I took to Southern Illinois (Pittsburg, IL is where she is buried) and have her birth and death dates and go from there.  I believe my mother told me Daisy did not stay married to her father (at this time unknown) and divorced.  If so, that is probably how Daisy ended back in Illinois and the father moved to Eutis, FL?
Marian F. Johnson modeling_Simms Edwards photo0001.jpg

Patti Thomas Martin

Feb 11, 2010, 11:48:35 PM2/11/10
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
Eustis, FL-- about 30 minutes north or nw of Orlando.

Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2010 11:45 PM

Patti Thomas Martin

Feb 11, 2010, 11:50:27 PM2/11/10
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
1945 Dade Co. Census  Marion Johnson, age 22, 937 SW 5th Street
Name: Marion Johnson

Titles & terms (original):
Titles & terms (standardized):
Gender: Female
Precinct number: 078

Estimated precinct locality: Miami, Dade, Florida
Residence: Dade, Dade, Florida
Age: 22y
Estimated birth year: 1923
Birthplace: , , Massachusetts
Race or color (on document): White
Race or color: White
Line number: 12
Film number: 2425182
Digital GS number: 4280222
Feb 12, 2010, 12:00:42 AM2/12/10
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
OMG!  This has to be her because my mother told me "your Dad and Marion was about the same age maybe a year apart" and Dad was born on 12/6/1923, and I thought she born in Chicago but I may be wrong (after all, I was just a small kid the last time I visited Marion)  and somewhere I knew she spelled her name with "o" and was told that is spelling for a man but I don't think that now.  I remember Mother telling me I didn't have much hair and Aunt Marion would use me for a 'boy' model.  Just bits of pieces of information comes to mind - but I think this may be her.

I am saving all emails from you when tracking and verifying, this gives me so much to work with --- I had zip zero!

Val

Patti Thomas Martin

Feb 12, 2010, 12:04:03 AM2/12/10
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
This info comes from www.familysearch.org.  I used the pilot search option and just searched for the names.  You can view the images of the 1935 and 1945 census.  The 1920 and some of the FL 1930 are available on Heritage Quest's site.

Have fun.

Sent: Friday, February 12, 2010 12:01 AM
To: flmiam...@googlegroups.com

VPK

Feb 12, 2010, 12:06:43 AM2/12/10
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
I will and I will have come and visit Miami.

Thank you so much for all this information, incredible!

Val

Patti Thomas Martin

Feb 12, 2010, 12:08:12 AM2/12/10
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
Remember that the main library/genealogy department/Florida department has all (or almost all) of the city directories which will help you pinpoint an address.

Sent: Friday, February 12, 2010 12:07 AM

gene...@cfl.rr.com

Feb 12, 2010, 5:03:31 AM2/12/10
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
Val,

This is what is at 937 SW 5th Street
now:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=937+SW+5+st.,+Miami,+FL&sll=28.481683,-80.688172&sspn=0.417648,0.617294&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=937+SW+5th+St,+Miami,+Miami-Dade,+Florida+33130&ll=25.768795,-80.209996&spn=0.000841,0.001206&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=25.768799,-80.209883&panoid=UBoNB3Cmp7DPnkjHNQFnNQ&cbp=12,359.56,,0,5

That should give you the "street view" from Google Maps. You may
have to move a little to the left to see the entire building. It's
almost like being there!

Then there is this which will show you the location of the address
and the Orange
Bowl:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=1501+Northwest+3rd+Street,+Miami,+FL%E2%80%8E&daddr=937+SW+5th+St,+Miami,+Miami-Dade,+Florida+33130&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=25.768799,-80.209883&sspn=0.006725,0.009645&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16

The address is about 12 blocks from the Orange Bowl. Parking often
extended out that far for major football games. I lived three times
farther away and could hear the bands on a still night or if the wind
was blowing in my direction. And the fireworks sounded like an invasion.

Rel@ively,
Patrice

P.S. I never did see a picture of the house that started all
this. Could you share that with us?

VPK

Feb 12, 2010, 5:37:09 AM2/12/10
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
Here you Patti (Patrice):

Got the direction driving south to Miami via I-95 - thanks!  Attach is the picture of house (below).

Val

5.
Turn left to merge onto I-95 S toward Miami
About 2 hours 48 mins
go 182 mi
total 186 mi
6.
Take the SW 7th St exit toward US-41
About 1 min
go 0.6 mi
total 187 mi
7.
Turn right at SW 7th St/S Tamiami Trail/US-41 N
About 3 mins
go 0.7 mi
total 187 mi
8.
Turn right at SW 10th Ave
go 0.1 mi
total 187 mi
9.
Turn right at the 2nd cross street onto SW 5th St
Destination will be on the left
go 443 ft
total 187 mi
937 SW 5th St, Miami, FL 33130
These directions are for planning purposes only. You may find that construction projects, traffic, weather, or other events may cause conditions to differ from the map results, and you should plan your route accordingly. You must obey all signs or notices regarding your route.
Map data ©2010 Google
Directions weren't right? Please find your route on maps.google.com and click "Report a problem" at the bottom left.

Relative House by Orange Bowl0001.jpg

Patti Thomas Martin

Feb 12, 2010, 7:43:55 AM2/12/10
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure it is the same building.  Look at the distance between the street and the building and the number of steps.  There are still quite a few buildings like this in that area.

Sent: Friday, February 12, 2010 5:37 AM
To: flmiam...@googlegroups.com

937 SW 5th St Miami FL.jpg

Winifred Merier Gourley

Feb 12, 2010, 11:39:44 AM2/12/10
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
As a now retired  Genealogy & Local History Librarian (as of 2002) I have followed this with much interest.  Am now 77 yrs old and still have a passion for genealogy research.  My great grandfather Eugene Auguste Merier came to Coffee County, Ga. from France and that journey was what started my passion for family research at age of 16. I never knew any of my grandparents but oh how I wish I had.

Keep up your good work down there and I wish you much success and a very good year.

Win Merier Gourley

From: chik...@gmail.com
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 00:00:42 -0500

VPK

Feb 12, 2010, 4:22:13 PM2/12/10
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
I found a brown envelope that is from the name of the modeling company reads:

Cordnet Academy of Modeling
McAllister Hall Magazine (spelling is differ - has Magzanine)
Miami 32, Fla.
Postage stamp dated Aug 11 8 PM 1953 Miami, Fla.

Can you believe it only has 3 each of 3-cents stams!

I just check the inside and found a very old picture, now I know who Daisy Walker married, Leon Edwards Johnson as attached.  There is no date on the picture but at least we know who they are.

Val

Daisy_Leon Johnson Picture0001.jpg

VPK

Feb 12, 2010, 4:29:09 PM2/12/10
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
Thank for sharing your Genealogy inspiration --- You did fine work and I love history so it seems I am alway gravitated to doing my ancestory work.  Names includes:  Sellars, Walker, Johnson, Foster on my father's side and Nolen, Miller, Knight ... can't remember them all.  I was doing this back in 1994 but slowly quit and then I get an invitation for the "Sellars Family Reunion" from a gentleman (Carl Sellars) who I met at my father's funeral in West Frankfort, IL and then on to burial site in Pittsburg, IL.

It always seem the other side is really right here with us.

gene...@cfl.rr.com

Feb 12, 2010, 3:58:34 PM2/12/10
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patti & Val,

I'm not sure either. I may cruise up and down 5th Street using
Google and see if I can spot it. The house may be gone -- replaced
by a parking lot or who knows what. But I'll enjoy the search.

Rel@ively,
Patrice

P.S. I've been up and down SW 5th St from I-95 to 13th Ave. Looking
on both sides of the street. I found this:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=937+SW+5+st.,+Miami,+FL&sll=28.481683,-80.688172&sspn=0.417648,0.617294&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=937+SW+5th+St,+Miami,+Miami-Dade,+Florida+33130&t=h&layer=c&cbll=25.769044,-80.202808&panoid=obPCZimeRk9t44U6w90w8w&cbp=12,358.7,,0,-6.07&ll=25.769048,-80.202709&spn=0.000836,0.001206&z=20

The only thing in common is the design above the door. This building
looks larger and there is no door visible, but it also looks like it
is being remodeled. But it is also much too big for the house pictured.

The design may be common or it could be used by a specific
architect. That may help trace the home. But quite honestly, I
think this is one that needs property research.

BTW, when I enlarged Val's picture the house number looks like 200 or
209 -- it could even be 1209. You might be able to see it better on
the original with a magnifying glass.

Patti Thomas Martin

Feb 12, 2010, 7:00:09 PM2/12/10
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
I agree--looks like 209 or maybe even 1209. Val can you check that with a
magnifying glass?

Feb 12, 2010, 7:29:03 PM2/12/10
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
The photo was obviously taken much earlier than 1953.  Can you give details such as when Daisy was born and where?  Parents of Carl and Daisy?

Sent: Friday, February 12, 2010 4:22 PM

gene...@cfl.rr.com

Feb 12, 2010, 7:44:18 PM2/12/10
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
Patti & Val,

I'm going to send the photo to my expert and see if she can date
it. I'm not going to give her any information about it.

Rel@ively,
Patrice

VPK

Feb 12, 2010, 9:17:43 PM2/12/10
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
You guys are good!!  I am so glad to have found this group.  I feel like I am getting somewhere now on this part of the family.  Found a better picture of Marion F. Johnson probably in the late 1940 to early 1950's.

Val

Marion F Johnson0001.jpg

jhjon...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2015, 3:14:20 PM7/21/15
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com, chik...@gmail.com
All, I have more information on Marion F. Johnson and her mother Daisy (and her father as well) if anyone is still looking for it. This thread seemed to die out quickly in 2010.

Marion's middle name was Francis, and it appears to have been spelled in the masculine way, not as Frances, but I am not sure. She was born 29 Dec 1919 in Chicago Heights, Cook County, Illinois and died 18 Nov 1984 in Victorville, San Bernardino County, California. Husband survived her -- James Mulcahy.

Marion's mother, Daisy Belle Walker, was born 28 Oct 1886in Williamson County, Illinois, probably in Pittsburg, and she died on 23 Mar 1953 and is buried in Pittsburg. She was the daughter of John G. and Leanna Belle Walker.

I am not sure who is in that picture with Daisy, but if that person's name is Lew Edwards (or whatever his name is), then person is NOT Marion's father. Marion's father was William Oscar Johnson. I would have expected the person in the picture with Daisy to be William Johnson. For the last years of their marriage, Daisy and William did not live together but were NEVER divorced. So Daisy may have had a friend, Mr. Edwards, or it could be William O. Johnson in the picture and the picture is mislabeled. William Oscar Johnson was born 11 Mar 1886 in Chicago, Cook County, Illinois and died on 30 Jan 1937 in Fort Myers, Lee County, Florida. William was the founder and owner of the Lee Ice Cream Company in Fort Myers and he lived there above the factory. Early in the morning of 30 Jan 1937 he lit his gas heater, and at some point the heater went out and the room filled with gas and suffocated him. Daisy and Marion came to claim the body and have it transported for burial.

The Johnson family is quite interesting, in my opinion. William Oscar Johnson's parents were Dr. Edward Cushing Johnson and Elizabeth (Lizzie) Bateman of Hammond, Indiana, and the story of the end of their marriage is a very unhappy one.

Dr. Edward C. Johnson's parents were Emily Murray and Oscar William Johnson of Fredonia, New York. Oscar's sister, Marion H. Johnson Skidmore, was a spiritualist and with her husband Thomas Skidmore founded Lily Dale in Chautauqua County, New York, which exists to this day as a sort of mecca of spiritualism. Various well-known people came to Lily Dale and Marion knew a lot of them, such as Susan B. Anthony.

Marion Francis Johnson, the model, was named after Marion Johnson Skidmore which is why the spelling of the name is the typical masculine way. My great-grandmother Jennie Marion Johnson Jones also used the masculine spelling.

Jim Jones