Re: [Dade] "Dade County Home"

gene...@cfl.rr.com

Sep 17, 2012, 12:26:36 PM9/17/12
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
Can you give us an address or approximate location? That might help
ring a bell.

Rel@ively,
Patrice

At 9/17/2012 11:42 AM, LS Miranda wrote:
>In the 1940 Census I see someone I am researching in the "Dade County Home".
>
>Can someone explain to me what this was? And perhaps when it was
>closed or morphed into some other institution?
>
>I am having a heck of a time searching online for this information.

David Grant

Sep 17, 2012, 1:19:46 PM9/17/12
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com

LS Miranda,

Where is the Home located?

Dave Grant

In the 1940 Census I see someone I am researching in the "Dade County Home".

Can someone explain to me what this was?  And perhaps when it was closed or morphed into some other institution?

I am having a heck of a time searching online for this information.

THANKS!

Winifred Merier Gourley

Sep 17, 2012, 1:26:39 PM9/17/12
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
Can you give me the page number??? Name of occupants?  I still like to try to help people in my old age (80 on Sept 25) retired (2002) Genealogy & Local History Librarian of Douglas, Ga. library after 37 years.

Best wishes,
Win Merier Gourley

From: dgr...@verizon.net
To: flmiam...@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [Dade] "Dade County Home"
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 13:19:46 -0400

lwig...@aol.com

Sep 17, 2012, 9:37:05 PM9/17/12
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
If this is the same Dade County Home that I know of, then it was on SW107th Avenue just above the intersection of SW 80th St and SW 107th Avenue. If you look at that site today from bing maps (enter address 8000 SW 107th Ave, Miami, FL 33176) you can see one old abandoned building that is was part of the multi-building complex still standing. There was an "old folks home" for people unable to afford to live anywhere else, a childrens home, and a county hospital that served the south end of Dade county. Here is an article from 1939 describing some improvements to it along with a picture if you scroll up from the link. -Larry Wiggins, Miami

Rowena Sumrall

Sep 19, 2012, 3:00:04 PM9/19/12
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
Is the same place that was a boys reformatory in the 1950s?

GSGM Miami

Oct 1, 2012, 8:11:04 PM10/1/12
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
Rowena the boys school was south of where the nursing home stood. I visited the nursing home with the scouts or 4-H as a pre-teen, can't remember which club.
Also visited the boys school, much later, but that is another story, lol in the 60's.
I am also volunteering to look up in 1940 census, but will need the persons name.

Judi from GSGM

Rowena Sumrall

Oct 2, 2012, 8:07:06 PM10/2/12
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Judi, for the info.  When I was in junior high in the 50s, boys who got into trouble were sent to Kendall but I never knew just where it was.  I knew where Kendall was, just not the boys school.  I went to Citrus Grove Jr. Hi and we always heard that boys went from Kinloch (another school) to Kendall, but I remember at least 2 boys who went to CG that had been to Kendall.  One played the drums in the school band and had the most beautiful blue eyes!!  I think that's why I still like drummers.  :)

I'd love to hear about your visit to the boys school later.  Sounds like it might be interesting.

The only relatives I had in Fla. in 1940 was my great uncle and his family and I have the info on them.  I was still in Ohio in 1940.  My husband and his family were in Fla.  His great great grandfather was Ethan V. Blackman who wrote a book about early Miami and worked for Henry Flagler.

S Hathaway

Oct 5, 2012, 11:39:55 AM10/5/12
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
Would someone be kind enough to post the ancestry.com url (hoping there is one!) for the 1930 Dade County Home census?

I cannot locate the death of my grandmother, Kate (Luff) HATHAWAY, said to be 30 Aug 1930 (but without any citation).  The 1920 census has her occupation as "home nurse."  Until seeing this discussion about the Dade County Home, I took that occupation to mean a private nurse.  Now I wonder if it refers to the Home.

If she did die Aug 1930, why is she not in the census?  The last time I locate her is in the Miami City Directory in the late 1920s.

Any ideas, assistance, or insights appreciated, as well as a reference to the Home's 1930 census.

Thanks!

Patti Martin

Oct 5, 2012, 1:22:01 PM10/5/12
to flmiam...@googlegroups.com
Here is the link for the Dade County Home 1930 Federal Census

http://search.ancestry.com/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=6224&path=Florida.Dade.Precinct+65.108.2&sid=&gskw=

Patti Martin

S Hathaway

Oct 5, 2012, 1:32:24 PM10/5/12