Getting Radiometry Data: Lepton 3.1R and Pure Thermal 3

Issac Heim

Feb 17, 2024, 1:00:35 PMFeb 17
to Flir Lepton
Hello All!

I am new to the Lepton platform and I'm trying to grab radiometry data from a Lepton 3.1R. The camera is being hosted on a PureThermal3 board. I am working on a project that connects the pure thermal 3 to a raspberry pi and sends thermal data and camera frames to a windows machine. I am able to stream camera frames via openCV, but I haven't figured out a way to actually get the radiometry data from the camera itself.

So my question is, how do I get this data? Is it stored within the camera frame itself? Is there a command I can send to the camera to retrieve the radiometry data?

 have been trying to read the source code for the GetThermal app but haven't really gotten anywhere with it. I have read the IDD that is provided with the camera itself, but since I am using the PureThermal3 it seems as if that doesn't really apply to my situation. I apologize for my lack of knowledge in advance. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time!

Issac Heim

Feb 17, 2024, 1:16:01 PMFeb 17
to Flir Lepton
Something i forgot to mention, is I would like to use C or C++ rather than Python for true single process multithreading

Dan Julio

Feb 19, 2024, 11:06:35 AMFeb 19
to Flir Lepton
I can't answer for the PureThermal board but my tCam-Mini (which you can also buy from Group Gets) outputs radiometric data (and the Letpon's telemetry).  It has a simple json command set accessed through a network socket so you can easily write C for it and even run that all directly on the Windows box with no need for an in-between computer.  You can read about it here

https://github.com/danjulio/tCam

Issac Heim

Feb 23, 2024, 10:18:32 AMFeb 23
to Flir Lepton

Thank you for your response Dan! I think your tcam-mini is something I’ll have to look into for the future, but currently I am not able to use it for this project. I’ve seen some examples of getting temperature data via UVC that definitely help, however, to kind of complete everything I need to be able to leverage the Lepton SDK on the raspberry pi. Can anyone point me in a direction of how to write a wrapper so I can use the lepton SDK with the pure thermal 3 and UVC? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have looked into get thermal, but found myself with some errors after extracting the SDK, writing some of the wrapper functions for UVC and testing them.

윤여경

May 2, 2024, 11:19:13 PMMay 2
to Flir Lepton
@issac Did you solve the problem? I'm using uvc-radiometry.py example code and i can get the temperature but the problem is that running on raspberry pi gives me too bright frame. I figured out that on raspberry pi the range of temperature is too wide +-200 while it's only about +-40 on pc as i mentioned here. If you encountered the same issue and you solved the problem can you please share your solution?