Intention to step down as FLINT maintainer (~ 2 years)

Bill Hart

Nov 17, 2021, 2:46:29 PM11/17/21
to flint-devel
Hi all,

I'm writing to let everyone know that within a couple of years, I plan
to step down as maintainer of Flint. This is due to the fact that my
mathematical career reached a dead end, and in any event I have a
strong desire to return to Australia. At that time my mathematical
software activities will cease entirely!

In order to make sure that Flint does not just die completely, I
believe it is important to establish a successor to continue
maintaining Flint. The obvious choice here would be Fredrik Johansson
and we have discussed this at various times.

Of course, Fredrik already maintains Arb, Calcium, Ordner, mpmath,
flint-python and so on. With any luck, Dan Schultz may also be able to
assist with the maintenance of Flint, though I do not know what other
demands he will have on his time at that point, and the matter is
entirely up to him.

I believe it is important that the community also step up to ensure
this critical piece of infrastructure is not abandoned or absorbed
entirely into another project.

I also believe strongly that Flint **must remain an international
project to remain viable**.

I am not the maintainer of any other mathematical software that is
widely used internationally. My fork of MPIR died years ago, bsdnt was
never particularly successful and fell into disuse. Other projects I
worked on or started are now being de facto maintained by others. The
situation with antic is less clear as it has never been maintained as
an international project, but it probably requires little maintenance
to keep it going in its original purpose.

I'm writing this more than one year in advance so that the situation
will not become an emergency for Flint when the time comes.

I will try to give a more definite date as my future plans become
clearer. One can scarcely say what will happen tomorrow in this
uncertain world, let alone two years out!

Best Regards,

Bill.

Grégory Vanuxem

Nov 17, 2021, 3:44:21 PM11/17/21
to flint...@googlegroups.com
Sad

--

---

Jeffrey Sarnoff

Nov 18, 2021, 4:43:38 PM11/18/21
to flint...@googlegroups.com
Bill,

Thank you for all that you have brought to the whole!

Best,
Jeffrey Sarnoff