make check error on FLINT-2.7.2

John Cremona

Mar 18, 2021, 8:14:29 AM3/18/21
to FLINT dev
Dear Bill and other FLINT devs,

I just rebuilt FLINT-2.7.2 on my laptop after upgrading MPIR to 3.0.0
and MPFR to 4.0.0. I found that "make check" failed at this point:

lll_mpf_with_removal....PASS
wrapper_with_removal_knapsack....PASS
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/john/packages/FLINT/flint-2.7.1/fmpz_lll'
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/john/packages/FLINT/flint-2.7.1/mpfr_vec'
init/clear....init2.c:52: MPFR assertion failed: p >= 2 && p <=
((mpfr_prec_t)((mpfr_uprec_t)(~(mpfr_uprec_t)0)>>1))
make[1]: *** [../Makefile.subdirs:97:
../build/mpfr_vec/test/t-init_clear_RUN] Aborted (core dumped)
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/john/packages/FLINT/flint-2.7.1/mpfr_vec'
make: *** [Makefile:218: check] Error 2

The only configure option I use is --extensions=$HOME/packages/FLINT/hmod_mat

John

Bill Hart

Mar 18, 2021, 8:37:48 AM3/18/21
to flint-devel
Hi John,

I had thought some of our continuous integration is against MPIR 3.0.0
and MPFR 4.0.0. So my first guess is that it is picking up an old
version somehow.

Are you using the --with-mpir and --with-mpfr options to tell flint
where to find them? If they are installed globally it should find the
right ones, but perhaps you could check that sudo make install was
successful for both packages.

If you still have a problem with it, I'll try to replicate it locally.
I am personally using mpir-3.0.0 and mpfr-4.1.0 on Ubuntu. Perhaps the
issue only occurs with MPFR 4.0.0.

Bill.
> --
>
> ---

John Cremona

Mar 18, 2021, 10:25:04 AM3/18/21
to FLINT dev

Bill Hart

Mar 18, 2021, 11:26:58 AM3/18/21
to flint-devel
Looks like it is. But the precision we pass to mpfr_init2 there is
prec = n_randint(state, 200) + MPFR_PREC_MIN, which doesn't look even
slightly problematic.

I've no idea why that problem is occurring, especially as we don't see it on CI.

Miscompilation perhaps?

Bill.
> --
>
> ---

Bill Hart

Mar 18, 2021, 11:37:26 AM3/18/21
to flint-devel
Looking at other times this is reported around the web, it looks to be
a symbol conflict between different libraries. It seems like they
fixed it in a later version. So I would for now just use MPFR 4.1.0 if
that is possible for you.

Bill Hart

Mar 18, 2021, 11:38:34 AM3/18/21
to flint-devel
Or MPFR 4.0.2 which also presumably contains a workaround.

Bill Hart

Mar 18, 2021, 12:04:53 PM3/18/21
to flint-devel
Also, if your laptop is modern, you should use GMP not MPIR. The
latter hasn't had any updates for CPUs much later than about 2012/13.

Bill.