Halls

james kramer

Jul 6, 2011, 2:28:02 PM7/6/11
to flham...@googlegroups.com

I am looking for information on thomas hall and his wife permillia, and their daughter tabitha who married john r. cheshire in hamilton co,fl.  Thanks JIm (nosark55)

Laverne Tornow

Jul 7, 2011, 8:26:58 AM7/7/11
to FLHamilton
What is the time period for this marriage? Have you checked Census
records for them? The Allen County Library has made all the US Census
records available for free at www.archive.org. Just put Census the
year and Florida in the search box and it will bring up whichever
census you asked for. Keep in mind, they are in PDF format and are
rather large, but you can save them to your computer and view at
leisure.

Also have you checked www.familysearch.org? they have lots of Florida
records available.

james kramer

Jul 7, 2011, 9:01:24 AM7/7/11
to flham...@googlegroups.com
I already have all the information on tabitha's marriage but it doesn't say
anything about her parents. I have all the censuses from 1820-1850 but in
the early years it only lists head of the house. Since she got married in
1828 she was never on a census as a hall only as cheshire. I have checked
every site that I know of and I belong to quit a few of the pay sites. I
have a application already sent into the DAR for my daughter and an
application sent into the state of florida for a pioneer certificate and
both places have said there is lots of secondary stuff but they would like
to have one primary source connecting tabitha to thomas. I'm running out of
places to look. Thanks for your sugestions. Jim

Pam Pieters

Jul 7, 2011, 9:36:18 AM7/7/11
to flham...@googlegroups.com, FLHamilton
I know I've seen that record. Late 1800's? It might be on a page with other Cheshire's that I've saved. I'll take a look.

Pam

Sent from my iPad

>> their daughter tabitha who married john r. cheshire in hamilton co,fl.ge with

Pam Pieters

Jul 7, 2011, 10:26:45 AM7/7/11
to flham...@googlegroups.com
I am fairly new to researching my ancestry. I have lots if information on my mother but know very little about my dad's ancestors. Sounds like you are far ahead of me.

Thanks,

Pam Thomas

Sent from my iPad

Laverne Tornow

Jul 7, 2011, 11:24:45 AM7/7/11
to FLHamilton
Early marriage records do not document the parents. Usually just the
groom, the bride and whomever posted the marriage bond which is not
necessarily a parent or even a relative. The only way I obtained
information on an ancestors marriage was a engagement and wedding
announcement in the Tallahassee newspaper in 1836.Luckily my ancestor
and the groom were living in Leon County at the the and the groom was
a particularly prominent foreigner acting as an advisor to the
territorial governor. If you get really lucky, you might find
something in a Church's records. Early records are few and far
between especially as far as women are concerned unless the families
were socially or politically prominent.

As for your statement she was never on a census as a HALL, I
disagree. She was enumerated in 1820 somewhere, just not by name.
Find her father on the 1820 census, and she will be one of the females
listed only by age group. It is not an entirely impossible task, just
extremely difficult.
Laverne

On Jul 7, 9:01 am, "james kramer" <jkram...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> I already have all the information on tabitha's marriage but it doesn't say
> anything about her parents. I have all the censuses from 1820-1850 but in
> the early years it  only lists head of the house. Since she got married in
> 1828 she was never on a census as a hall only as cheshire. I have checked
> every site that I know of and I belong to quit a few of the pay sites. I
> have a application already sent into the DAR for my daughter and an
> application sent into the state of florida for a pioneer certificate and
> both places have said there is lots of secondary stuff but they would like
> to have one primary source connecting tabitha to thomas. I'm running out of
> places to look. Thanks for your sugestions.  Jim

Laverne Tornow

Jul 7, 2011, 12:28:01 PM7/7/11
to FLHamilton

Are you positive father was John HALL?

From familysearch.org

Tabitha Hall
Florida Marriages, 1837-1974
marriage: 09 Oct 1828 —Hamilton Co., Florida
parents: Solomon Hall
spouse: John R. Cheshire

record title: Florida Marriages, 1837-1974
groom's name: John R. Cheshire
bride's name: Tabitha Hall
marriage date: 09 Oct 1828
marriage place: Hamilton Co., Florida
bride's father's name: Solomon Hall
indexing project (batch) number: M74441-9
system origin: Florida-EASy
source film number: 1015480

On Jul 7, 9:01 am, "james kramer" <jkram...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> I already have all the information on tabitha's marriage but it doesn't say
> anything about her parents. I have all the censuses from 1820-1850 but in
> the early years it  only lists head of the house. Since she got married in
> 1828 she was never on a census as a hall only as cheshire. I have checked
> every site that I know of and I belong to quit a few of the pay sites. I
> have a application already sent into the DAR for my daughter and an
> application sent into the state of florida for a pioneer certificate and
> both places have said there is lots of secondary stuff but they would like
> to have one primary source connecting tabitha to thomas. I'm running out of
> places to look. Thanks for your sugestions.  Jim

james kramer

Jul 7, 2011, 3:02:48 PM7/7/11
to flham...@googlegroups.com
I have the marriage record for Tabitha and John R. Cheshire and I also have
document (sworn statement) showing that by her family sent Solomon Hall to
give permmision from the family for her to get married. We have always
thought that Solomon was the brother of Thomas because of the story in the
early years of hamilton co. bicentinial. It's about three brothers Thomas,
Nathan, and Solomon Hall that left Tattnall co, Ga. and came to Hamilton co,
Fl. But we also believe that Tabitha's parents are Thomas & Permillia Hall
and that thomas Halls father was Lewis Hall Jr. Who was in the Revolution.
They did say if I could prove Thomas & Solomon were brothers that would
work. So I went back to check on Lewis Hall Jr. but he never had a son named
solomon or Nathan But he has a son Thomas born same date and place as our
Thomas. This really throws me into another spin because now I don't know who
solomon is either. Thanks for your help Laverne. Jim

james kramer

Jul 7, 2011, 3:15:51 PM7/7/11
to flham...@googlegroups.com
It does show on thomas hall census in 1800 no girls, 1810 & 20 showed a
daughter of the right age and I used that as secondary source but it wasn't
enough for them. I also showed as secondary proof that John R. Cheshire was
the next door neighbor to Thomas Hall and when Thomas died John R. bought a
lot of the cattle, mark, and brand which usally is bought by next of kin. I
think I do have something that shows the church they went to and If can find
it I will check on the church records. Thanks again Jim

Laverne Tornow

Jul 7, 2011, 3:26:36 PM7/7/11
to FLHamilton
It is possible that Solomon may have been your Thomas' uncle or a
cousin.

james kramer

Jul 7, 2011, 3:25:29 PM7/7/11
to flham...@googlegroups.com
I have looked at a lot of cheshire stuff to in hopes of a mention of the
halls. If you are related to the cheshires and find something with the
halls I would love to have it. If there's anything I have on cheshires I
would be willing to share anything I have. If I can be of help in any way
just let me know. You never get done with this stuff, it goes on forever.
Jim

Jul 7, 2011, 4:14:19 PM7/7/11
to flham...@googlegroups.com
Have you contacted the Huxford Library in Homerville, GA?  They have a lot of information on these NE FLA and SE GA Families.

james kramer

Jul 7, 2011, 4:34:21 PM7/7/11
to flham...@googlegroups.com

I have went to Tampa library and look at all the huxfords volumes for Lewis Jr. and Thomas and solomon but didn't find what I was looking for.  There is about 11 volumes and I am thinking I may have missed something. You use to be able to look up things at huxford until they built the new building and now you have to belong or pay for info. I belong to way to many pay sites already and may have to drop a few next year. But the huxford library does have very good info. If you are working on a DAR application they accept huxford as a source but if you are working on a florida pioneer certificate they won't accept huxford as a source. Don't know why but they don't.  I have used some of the things out of the huxford books many times.  Thanks for the input, every little bit helps and that's how we learn about new things to look at out there. Jim