RADAR Chart: min/max value?

Shawny

Oct 19, 2010, 11:16:53 AM10/19/10
to BirdEye
Hi guys,
I've been looking at creating a curve area radar chart using the
source from NG's branch. I don't know if this group addresses
questions on that branch, but I figured I'd give it a shot. Im using
a CategoryAngle to set the axis as a string value and within my data
set, Im connecting that string to a numerical value from my xml.

The problem Im hitting is that the "score" value Im using to plot the
position on the chart is getting set as both the min and max values
for the axis. Is there a way to manually set a min/max value for a
polar chart?

I've tracked the setting of the min/max value down to the following
position:

BaseCoordinates.as
Line: 498
// this has a hard coded dim2
// this is NOT good
var maxDim2:Number = getDimMaxValue(currentItem, element.dim2,
element.collisionType == StackElement.STACKED);
var minDim2:Number = getDimMinValue(currentItem, element.dim2);

My data set consists of a collection of string values and then a score
for each string. The end result is that my graph is being drawn,
except ALL of the score points are drawing at the max point instead of
along the axis. I can send a screenshot if it helps clarify this
dilemma.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fausto

Oct 23, 2010, 7:44:34 AM10/23/10
to flexviz...@googlegroups.com
Use dataValues inside the scale.
"dataInterval" can also help to tune the scale.

shawnyale

Oct 26, 2010, 12:12:24 PM10/26/10
to BirdEye
Thanks for your reply. I'm using a category axis and a MultiAxis.
Here is my code:

<coords:scales>
<scales:CategoryAngle id="c" direction="positive"
shareSubScale="true" categoryField="Tag"
subScale="birdeye.vis.scales.Linear"/>
</coords:scales>
<coords:guides>
<axis:MultiAxis subScale="{c}" />
</coords:guides>

All attempts to modify the range have failed. I tried dataValues for
the categoryAngle and no chart was drawn. Basically, I have a
collection of tags that have numerical values and I don't know what
the range is going to be until runtime. I've looked through the
branch and did not see anywhere that would accept a numerical range
for a category axis. What I expect to happen is that each axis is
separated by the Tag in the dataProvider for example: Communication
which has a value of 3 on a range of 0-5, Teamwork having a value of 2
on range of 0-5, etc. The problem is that the scale is only taking
the highest value in the list of available values from the category
axis. So instead of seeing a chart ranging from 0-5, I see a
chart(using the above example) on a range of 0-3(since 3 was the
highest value in the data).

I looked at the example in the birdeye explorer and used a lot right
out of the box. I guess I'm not really sure where I need to apply the
dataValues or dataInterval in order to make the chart display the
correct 0-5 range.

Side note: if I use a shareSubScale="true" I get the 0-5 range, but
without it, the chart only shows the 0-3.

Thanks for your help!

shawnyale

Oct 26, 2010, 12:44:56 PM10/26/10
to BirdEye
P.S.: Setting a dataValues on the CategoryAxis causes FlashPlayer to
crash.

<coords:scales>
<scales:CategoryAngle id="c" direction="positive"
dataValues="{[0,5]}"

fausto

Nov 2, 2010, 10:18:14 AM11/2/10
to flexviz...@googlegroups.com
I see that you are trying to assign numeric values in a category
scale, which deals with string values.
You can try with an array of strings from '0' to '5', but I have never
tested this in a polar coords with multiscales and have no idea if it
will work.

Good luck.