is it possible display lexical relations such as synonyms and antonyms in dictionary entry?

Alex Garcia

Apr 16, 2024, 6:46:02 AMApr 16
to FLEx list
Is it possible to customize the fields that appear on an entry? (I do not mean in FLEx' entry fields, but rather on a dictionary entry, as shown in the upper block of the entry view) If so, I would like the synonyms and antonyms to appear there, but I don't know how to proceed.

Best,
Alex

Kevin Warfel

Apr 16, 2024, 8:33:07 AMApr 16
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Hi, Alex.

Yes, it is possible to customize the display of a dictionary entry to include lexical relations such as synonyms and antonyms. This is explained in detail in the online course that SIL’s Dictionary & Lexicography Services (DLS) has created. The portal to the course is here: https://sites.google.com/sil.org/dls-course/.

Of course, we in DLS recommend that you work through the entire course in order to build a solid understanding of general lexicography principles, but the part that discusses the formatting of lexical relations is in the advanced course, LEX 201. In that course, lessons A1-A4 present the four underlying structures that lexical relations can be built on—Synonyms typically have a “simple set” underlying structure, while Antonyms are normally “sets of pairs”. Lessons B1 and B2 present the details of configuring lexical relations for display in a dictionary and also talk about creating your own lexical relations (custom lexical relations).

I invite you to join the growing pool of FLEx users who are tapping into this resource in order to benefit from features in FLEx that they didn’t know about or didn’t know how to use previously. DLS began developing this course in 2019, and we are still working on it. We want to see it used, and we value feedback from those who do use it. Please tell us (via the Feedback form at the end of each lesson) if something is confusing or unclear, and of course, we’d love to know about it if you find it to be of value to you in your work on a dictionary and/or in your use of FLEx.

Best wishes,

Kevin Warfel

Associate Dictionary & Lexicography Services Coordinator

Rapid Word Collection workshop consultant

--
"FLEx list" messages are public. Only members can post.
flex_d...@sil.org

Feda Negesse

Apr 16, 2024, 10:15:27 AMApr 16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for developing the courses. I use them for training dictionary makers.

Feda Negesse,
Speech and text computing group
Department of Linguistics,  Addis Ababa University,

Alex Garcia

Apr 16, 2024, 10:39:57 AMApr 16
to FLEx list
Many thanks for your precise response, Kevin. I did not know about the course. The content looks great. As you clearly indicated, I was able to find an answer to my question in Lesson B1, slide 15: "Activity-Configure Dictionary".

Best,
Alex

Kevin Warfel

Apr 16, 2024, 12:08:08 PMApr 16
to flex...@googlegroups.com

This is very good to know. We had no idea that it is being used in this way in Ethiopia. Thank you for telling us!

Kevin Warfel

Associate Dictionary & Lexicography Services Coordinator

Rapid Word Collection workshop consultant

Kevin Warfel

Apr 16, 2024, 12:13:57 PMApr 16
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Alex,

I’m very glad to hear that you were able to find the answer in our course. Our team has invested more than 20 person-hours per week for close to five years now in the development and revision of this course—more than that if you take into account the effort to make it available in French, Spanish, and Portuguese as well. Every report from someone who benefits from it is an encouragement to our team, a bit of compensation for the energy we’ve poured into it.