Language Name Change

Scot Stober

Apr 14, 2023, 4:39:02 PM4/14/23
to FLEx list
I have a gloss language, Uma [roe], in my lexicon. This is the language group adjacent to our language group and I've collected over 2,500 entries in this related language. I've been able to publish this data to Webonary and in sample print copies (in the past--currently I can't find the InDesign option in Pathway).

My problem lies when I export the data to a LIFT file to publish it as a dictionary app in Dictionary App Builder. A few years back, the language group chose the name "Uma" for their language instead of the previously labeled Ronji (a village name). I had it changed in the Ethnologue. I've expunged all references to Ronji in Fieldworks including in the language list and the Analysis Writing Systems, but when the data imports into Dictionary App Builder it insists on calling the language Ronji instead of Uma. I've opened all the files in the LIFT export and the only place Ronji shows up is in definitions when referring to place names. Is this data stored somewhere else? How can I get the language name to show up as Uma instead of Ronji?

Scot

Beth-docs Bryson

Apr 15, 2023, 3:41:56 PM4/15/23
to flex...@googlegroups.com
This seems like it is probably a Dictionary App Builder question, since it is working for you in FLEx.

You might try asking on the DAB community site:

And ask if there is a place to configure this when you build the app (just as in FLEx you can configure how the name shows up, without changing the language code).

-Beth

--
"FLEx list" messages are public. Only members can post.
flex_d...@sil.org

Claire Bowern

Apr 15, 2023, 3:56:57 PM4/15/23
to flex...@googlegroups.com
You can change it in the dictionary metadata, but if I remember right you have to change it each time you export it

--

Claire Bowern
Professor, Director of Undergraduate Studies

Jeff Heath

Apr 16, 2023, 3:11:48 PM4/16/23
to FLEx list
Yes, this would be a better question on the DAB forum.

But just to take a stab, there is a language name field in DAB. Did you try changing the "Display Name" as shown here, under Languages, and Language Details?

DABLangName.png

Scot Stober

Apr 17, 2023, 11:33:21 AM4/17/23
to FLEx list
Yes, I can change it there, but would rather find the root of the problem so I don't have to remember to change it each time I export/import. I've asked the question on the DAB forum.

Beth-docs Bryson

Apr 17, 2023, 10:12:27 PM4/17/23
to flex...@googlegroups.com
My guess is that the language name is stored in a database in Dictionary App Builder that maps ISO-639-3 codes to language names.  And it is possible that DAB may not have the most recent database from Ethnologue.

At least, that’s how it would be in FLEx.  FLEx provides UI to allow the user to use a name other than what is in its database.  (I know that in FLEx, there tends to be a delay in getting the Ethnologue data updated in the codebase—it’s a lot more work than you would think.)

-Beth

--
"FLEx list" messages are public. Only members can post.
flex_d...@sil.org
http://groups.google.com/group/flex-list.
---

John Brownie

Apr 18, 2023, 1:49:11 AM4/18/23
to flex...@googlegroups.com
The version of the IANA (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority) language subtag registry from 13 April 2023 still has Ronji as the name for [roe], so the name change hasn’t gone through that far yet. I’m not sure of the process of Ethnologue changes filtering through to IANA, so I don’t know when that would be fixed.

The latest file is always at https://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry/language-subtag-registry. I have a system to process that into XML which is then used by Ukelele, the program I have written for creating and editing custom keyboard layouts on Mac.

John Brownie
Turku, Finland