How to "Show entry in Lexicon" in another window

Bart Eenkhoorn

Apr 11, 2024, 6:26:29 AMApr 11
to 'Oumar Bah' via FLEx list
L.S.
As we are working through some texts, the entries (gloss) are edited when needed. The "Show Entry in Lexicon" is quite useful. I cannot however get flex to jump to the 2nd window in which the lexicon is already open.

Is there a way to accomplish a jump to a lexicon in another window? (like in toolbox, where one can identify the "Target window" for jumps?)

If jumping to another window is not possible, is there a way to show both the text and the lexicon on the same screen? (Manually jumping back and forth is slow and therefore cumbersome. It takes 4 seconds to open the entry, followed by 4 seconds to return to the text.)

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Bart

glyph3 and logoBart Eenkhoorn
Linguist / Facilitateur
SIL Afrique de l’Ouest

Kevin Warfel

Apr 11, 2024, 9:53:46 AMApr 11
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Bart,

I don’t know of a way to have the Show Entry in Lexicon option take you to a different window. It sounds like you are already using the feature that allows you to have two separate windows open to different areas of the same project. How is that different than what you’re asking about when you ask, “Is there a way to show both the text and the lexicon on the same screen?” Are you asking if it’s possible to show both simultaneously within the same window? (No.) Regarding the time it takes FLEx to “paint” the screen when it switches from the text to the lexicon and then back again, are you aware of this green “arrow” button to return to the text after jumping to the lexicon? Does that same any time?

Maybe other users who are more familiar with the texts area have other ideas or suggestions.

Best wishes,

Kevin Warfel

Associate Dictionary & Lexicography Services Coordinator

Rapid Word Collection workshop consultant

--
"FLEx list" messages are public. Only members can post.
flex_d...@sil.org

Bart-Jacqueline Eenkhoorn

Apr 11, 2024, 10:15:09 AMApr 11
to 'Oumar Bah' via FLEx list
Thanks for replying Kevin. Clicking the green arrow does the same as clicking either the texts&words or lexicon button. Both take a 4 seconds "(re)paint" time as you describe it. This is unfortunate as my "painting" is already open and ready to be used in a separate window. Actually, going to that 2nd window manually and typing ctrl-F is quicker than the "show entry in Lexicon"(Ctrl-Click) ...
Maybe this new kind of jump to a 2nd window is a feature request?
Bart.

Kevin Warfel

Apr 11, 2024, 10:19:05 AMApr 11
to flex...@googlegroups.com

OK. I thought that might be the case, but it was all I could think of to suggest.

Kevin Warfel

Associate Dictionary & Lexicography Services Coordinator

Rapid Word Collection workshop consultant

Craig

Apr 14, 2024, 8:07:37 PMApr 14
to flex...@googlegroups.com, Bart-Jacqueline Eenkhoorn
Hi Bart,

That sounds like a great feature request! Perhaps Flex could check if there's another window open to the Lexicon and open the entry in that window. In that way it would be a generic rule that doesn't need any special user configuration.

Craig.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted