Romance-type verbs

A Walker Scott

Jun 24, 2022, 1:26:38 PM6/24/22
to flex...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure there must be a help topic for this, but I can't find it. How does one set up Romance-type verbal categories where each of several categories for verbs (like -are, -ere, -ire) take slightly different endings, and then assign each of those endings to the proper category, so one doesn't attach an -are ending to an -ire verb while processing interlinears and such?

A. Walker Scott, Author of No Road Among the Stars
Sample or purchase No Road Among the Stars:https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/872202

Beth-docs Bryson

Jun 24, 2022, 1:35:30 PM6/24/22
to flex...@googlegroups.com
In the “Intro to Morphological Parsing” document (under Help/Resources), it is described under the topic of “Inflection Classes”.  The examples are for other languages, but it applies to this.

Another topic that might be relevant is “Stem Names”.  You may need a combination of both structures to accomplish what you want.

-Beth

--
"FLEx list" messages are public. Only members can post.
flex_d...@sil.org

A Walker Scott

Jun 24, 2022, 2:14:03 PM6/24/22
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for pointing me to this section of the documentation. Now I can be more precise about what I need.

What I can't figure out how to do is the second half of  (27) 2. a -- tag the allomorph as belonging to a particular class. The document simply tells me to do it. It doesn't tell me HOW to do it, and that's rather un-useful. Is there anywhere that instructs me on HOW to accomplish this task? I already have the verbs divided into their classes. And I have many of the inflectional morphemes entered. I just need to tag the morphemes as to which category they apply to.

A. Walker Scott, Author of No Road Among the Stars
Sample or purchase No Road Among the Stars:https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/872202

Kevin Warfel

Jun 24, 2022, 2:42:22 PM6/24/22
to flex...@googlegroups.com

You may need to check the Show Hidden Fields box in order to find the Inflection Classes field. Here is an example from French:

Kevin Warfel

Associate Dictionary & Lexicography Services Coordinator

Rapid Word Collection workshop consultant

A Walker Scott

Jun 24, 2022, 2:52:50 PM6/24/22
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Thank you! I actually keep the "show hidden fields" box checked, because half the fields I use are "hidden." But I had overlooked this CLEARLY marked field. I feel rather derp-y at the moment!! Problem solved!

A. Walker Scott, Author of No Road Among the Stars
Sample or purchase No Road Among the Stars:https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/872202

Beth-docs Bryson

Jun 24, 2022, 3:00:05 PM6/24/22
to flex...@googlegroups.com
In the Blue Triangle next to each field, the menu includes a “Field Visibility” option.  You can use that to set certain fields to “Always Visible”.  Then those fields will keep showing even when “Show Hidden Fields” is off.

That wouldn’t have helped you in this case, but it is something to keep in mind for the future.

(Note that if there is a Sense-level field you are doing this with, you need to set this value both at the Sense level and the Subsense level, if you have Subsenses.)

-Beth

On Fri, Jun 24, 2022 at 1:42 PM Kevin Warfel <kevin_...@sil.org> wrote:

You may need to check the Show Hidden Fields box in order to find the Inflection Classes field. Here is an example from French:

<image002.png>

A Walker Scott

Jun 24, 2022, 3:30:31 PM6/24/22
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Thank you.

A. Walker Scott, Author of No Road Among the Stars
Sample or purchase No Road Among the Stars:https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/872202

Jeff Shrum

Jul 1, 2022, 12:33:34 PM7/1/22
to A Walker Scott, flex...@googlegroups.com
I used the verb stem feature to define the Portuguese conjunctivo and it worked well.

Jeff Shrum
Language Technology Consultant
SIL International

Sent from my iPhone