Possible vernacular writing systems problem

Hljodulfr

Jun 21, 2022, 11:26:54 AM6/21/22
to FLEx list
Hello everyone!

I was tinkering with my database today and getting a few more things setup to add pronunciations in the orthography of the language I'm working on.  While doing that, I was poking around my vernacular writing systems, and I was toying with the idea of making a dedicated writing system for pronunciations.  Thankfully I fixed the issue that was causing me to consider that in the first place, so now I don't have to.  Anyway, when I first started the database, I made a few more writing systems to sort of think ahead on future language documentation.  Specifically, I made writing systems for each of the three main documented sources that I am slowly incorporating into the database.  Each source has its own system, so I figured this was the way to go.  While I was playing around, I think (I can't be certain) that the writing systems I made were done via the "add a new language" which is not recommended.  After playing around with it a bit, I think I remembered why I may have done that.  Because every time I tried "add variation of", each time I tried to tweak the new system, it would alter the original, which I didn't want to do, and kept putting "(copy)" in front of other writing systems that I wasn't even trying to adjust.

Any ideas as to what is going on?  If going the "add a new language" route was absolutely horrible, thankfully I haven't done anything with those extra writing systems (except for the older pronunciations which my finagling now will hopefully do away with those), so getting rid of them won't be much of an issue.

Thanks for any input or advice in advance :).