customizing the browse view of entries

John Vanderelst

Jun 7, 2024, 4:24:06 AMJun 7
to FLEx list
Hello dear FLEX-colleagues,

I am kind of a newcomer. I have tried to answer the question I am about
to ask, but I did not find relevant answer to it.

In my dictionary on Mimi (a language from Chad), I have encoded
irregular plural forms of nouns and irregular inflected verbal forms as
Variant Form of their corresponding basic lexeme.

Now, my problem is: all these appear in the browse view of entries. This
is in some cases good, but I would also like to switch that off: so that
I only see the basic lexemes of my dictionary without all these
irregular forms.

Is it possible?

Much greetings

John Vanderelst (SIL Chad)

Kevin Warfel

Jun 7, 2024, 7:25:23 AMJun 7
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Hello, John.

I think that, if you add Variant of as a column in your Browse view, then filter so that only Blanks are shown for that column, you will get the result you’re looking for.

Here is an example from one of the projects used in DLS’ online Dictionary-Making & Lexicography course:

In this first image, fait appears in the list, though it is entered in the database as a variant of faire.

Because the variants in the database are all a variant of something else, they all have content in the Variant of field. Setting the filter on that field’s column to Blanks effectively filters out all entries that are variants in the Browse view. Notice that the entry for fait no longer appears in the filtered list.

Now, if you are interested in filtering out only certain types of variants—for example, you may want to see dialectal variants but not inflectional variants—you may need to use a different approach (e.g., Variant Type field).

Best wishes,

Kevin Warfel

Associate Dictionary & Lexicography Services Coordinator

Rapid Word Collection workshop consultant

--

"FLEx list" messages are public. Only members can post.

flex_d...@sil.org

http://groups.google.com/group/flex-list.

---

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "FLEx list" group.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/flex-list/982f551f-441e-4aa4-bb53-96e01ed84ca2%40sil.org.