Need help for Audio problem

Sadek Husein

Jun 27, 2022, 6:02:18 PM6/27/22
to FLEx list
Hello every one
I am facing a problem.
In my FieldWork, audio is not playing.
I tried a lot to solve this problem. but failed.
Can you anyone help me?Screenshot (246).png

Andreas_Joswig

Jun 27, 2022, 6:17:43 PM6/27/22
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sadek,
From what I see from your screenshot, you appear to have at least two problems: According to the filenames displayed, you have saved your soundfiles in the .webm format, which, as far as I know, is not supported by FLEx. Then you seem to have saved the sound files under special writing systems as glosses. I don't think this is possible. To connect a sound file (of an acceptable format), you will need to right-click on the pronunciation line of the entry (you may have to check "Show hidden fields" before you can do that).

You will then see the following:

Then click on "Insert Sound or Movie" and connect your entry with a sound file from your hard drive. This can the be played by FLEx. I don't think there is any other way to connect sound files.

Andreas

--
"FLEx list" messages are public. Only members can post.
flex_d...@sil.org

Andreas Joswig, PhD

Senior Linguistics Consultant Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

+49 1512 3581686 (Ger) or +251 910 497594 (Eth)

Kevin Warfel

Jun 27, 2022, 7:13:33 PM6/27/22
to flex...@googlegroups.com

SIL’s Dictionary & Lexicography Services has written an online course, LEX101: Dictionary-Making & Lexicography Basics. It’s free and is available here: https://sites.google.com/sil.org/dls-course/

In that course, there is a lesson titled D4. Working with Media. That lesson provides quite a bit of detail about how to work with audio recordings. I recommend this course to everyone and this lesson in particular for details in response to your question.

Kevin Warfel

Associate Dictionary & Lexicography Services Coordinator

Rapid Word Collection workshop consultant

Beth-docs Bryson

Jun 28, 2022, 12:19:31 AM6/28/22
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Putting audio in the Pronunciation field is one way to add them, but it is also perfectly fine to add them to an audio writing system.  It appears that both the BA and EA writing systems are audio writing systems, since the “play” icon (triangle) is showing in those fields.

I’m a little puzzled why they are analysis writing systems rather than vernacular writing systems.  Are you adding audio versions of the Glosses?  That is perfectly fine, and one of the advantages of using an audio writing system is that you can use it in any field.  (Is EA for “English audio” and BA for Burmese audio?).

If that is the case, then it looks like you’ve done it right, and the real issue is that the files are .webm files.

What version of FLEx are you using?  I think the dev team was actually going to try to make the .webm format playable in FLEx, but I can’t remember if they have done it already (in a recent version), or if that is still to come.  Keep a watch on the release notes for newly released versions, if you want to stick with .webm.

-Beth

On Jun 27, 2022, at 5:17 PM, Andreas_Joswig <andreas...@sil.org> wrote:

Hi Sadek,
From what I see from your screenshot, you appear to have at least two problems: According to the filenames displayed, you have saved your soundfiles in the .webm format, which, as far as I know, is not supported by FLEx. Then you seem to have saved the sound files under special writing systems as glosses. I don't think this is possible. To connect a sound file (of an acceptable format), you will need to right-click on the pronunciation line of the entry (you may have to check "Show hidden fields" before you can do that).