using bulk edit to manage multiple inflection classes

lorkoe

Apr 29, 2024, 12:20:40 PMApr 29
to FLEx list
I have recently begun to use FLEx to parse Plautdietsch [pdt], a Germanic language. The FLEx database has over 18,000 entries including more than 1,000 "strong" verbs. This refers to verbs that change the form of the stem (ablaut) according to tense and case. There are many patterns exhibited so the various forms are almost impossible to predict for a language learner. I am using inflection features for gender/number agreement and inflection classes for allomorphic forms within the verb itself. I have already assigned  inflection classes (strong/weak) to all verbs.
Currently I am trying to constrain the past participle which has two suffix forms, -en (the more common one) and -t. These cannot be predicted from the stem e.g. the minimal pair 'sinjen' and 'brinjen' take different forms. I would like to use bulk edit to specify an infection class for these forms, but I can only see how to replace an inflection class, not how to add a new one. I realize it would be possible to create temporary entries for each verb with the new inflection class and then merge them to the original entries, but that would be a very painstaking task to do one at a time.
If there is another way to use bulk edit to accomplish this, I would love to hear your suggestions.
Loren Koehler

Andy Black

Apr 30, 2024, 5:56:35 PMApr 30
to flex...@googlegroups.com, lorkoe
For stem allomorphy (the strong/weak case), you should use Stem Names.  See section 3.7.1 "Stem Allomorphs Conditioned by Morpho-syntactic Features" in the conceptual intro to parsing document.

Using inflection classes for the participial suffix forms sounds like what you need.

--Andy

--
"FLEx list" messages are public. Only members can post.
flex_d...@sil.org