Copy Paste help on MacBook via Virtualbox

Iman Noor

Mar 27, 2023, 12:21:42 PM3/27/23
to FLEx list
Hi all,

I am currently running Fieldworks on my MacBook via Virtual box and Ubuntu.
It works slow; however, the current problem I am facing is copying and pasting IPA symbols from my Mac (safari) into fieldworks as it seems that the option to paste goes away once I am within the virtualization program.

If anyone knows how to troubleshoot this it would be much appreciated.

Best,
Iman

Claire Bowern

Mar 28, 2023, 5:09:21 PM3/28/23
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Hi Iman,
I'm not sure about Virtual Box but for VMWare there is an option to have the clipboard be retained across operating systems. (That is, it's a setting in the emulator.)
Claire

--
"FLEx list" messages are public. Only members can post.
flex_d...@sil.org

Claire Bowern
Professor, Director of Undergraduate Studies
Editor: Diachronica
Department of Linguistics, Yale University

Dennis Walters

Mar 28, 2023, 5:09:31 PM3/28/23
to flex...@googlegroups.com
In VirtualBox UI, select the VM you want. Open its Settings, General. Then in the Advanced tab, you can choose options for Shared Clipboard and Drag'n'Drop.

--
Message has been deleted

Iman Noor

Apr 18, 2023, 8:02:24 AM4/18/23
to FLEx list
Hi,

This option didn't seem to work. Any further advice would be much apprecaited.

Best,
Iman

Carl Williams

Apr 19, 2023, 5:02:50 AM4/19/23
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Hello Iman,

    I handle Mac issues with SIL software, so I'd be happy to help resolve this problem for you.  You can email me at:

    I have mostly used FLEx in Virtualbox running Windows.  The Guest Additions must be installed in your Ubuntu virtual machine in order for the Shared Clipboard feature to work.  Did you try just copying regular text from the Mac and pasting it into a text editor on the Ubuntu side? That would confirm that the Shared Clipboard is working correctly and that the issue must be with IPA characters.

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do when you say you want to copy IPA symbols from the Mac into Flex. [You typed "Mac (safari)".  If you are trying to copy symbols from a web-page in Safari and then paste them into FLEx, you may have problems because the special characters on a web-page may not actually be Unicode. You can test this out by first pasting the text into the Mac's TextEdit program and seeing how it appears.]

1) If you just want to be able to input IPA characters into FLEx, I would recommend installing an IPA keyboard in the Ubuntu virtual machine and on the Mac side as well.  Then you can easily type any character you want.

IPA Unicode Keyboards

2) If you don't intend to type a lot of IPA symbols, and you just need a few symbols you could use the Auto-Correct feature in the Keyboard pane of System Preferences.  Under the Text Tab, you will find two columns: Replace and With.  You could put ";e" in the Replace Column and "ɛ" in the With Column. Then you should be able to type that character into TextEdit and Copy and Paste it into FLEx.

    Please contact me at the address above and we can better discuss how to achieve what you want.

Carl Williams
Mac Support International