Lexical Relations and Publications

Jack Boco

Jun 22, 2024, 8:59:20 AMJun 22
to FLEx list
Hello folks. This is my first post on this group so I hope I get it right! I have a question about the relationship between lexical relations and publications:

We are looking to publish a short dictionary, which is a subset of the entries in the lexicon. In the publication settings the entries we want included in the short dictionary have been chosen through the "publish entry in" field.

However, these entries in the short dictionary publication still have lexical relations with entries not in the short dictionary. I want a way of NOT including these as lexical relations in the short dictionary (i.e. to only include lexical relations with other entries also included in the short  dictionary. Is there a way to do this?

Thank you for your help with this, Jack

Kevin Warfel

Jun 22, 2024, 9:03:08 AMJun 22
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Hello, Jack.

Good question. I don’t know the answer, but I want to reassure you that your post came through and that your statement of the “problem” you’re trying to solve is very clear. I hope that someone else can offer you a solution.

Best wishes,

Kevin Warfel

Associate Dictionary & Lexicography Services Coordinator

Rapid Word Collection workshop consultant

--
"FLEx list" messages are public. Only members can post.
flex_d...@sil.org

Beth-docs Bryson

Jun 22, 2024, 12:19:32 PMJun 22
to flex...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty sure that if an entry is not included in a publication, then references to it will also not be included.

What I would do to find out is just to test it.  Find an entry with a reference to something not in the publication, go to Dictionary view and choose that publication, and see if the reference shows up.

Note that there are a lot of options for Publish In.  If you exclude something at the Entry level, that is the highest level, and you don't have to fiddle with the lower level ones (sense, example, etc).

Also, in the Publication Settings section (bottom of an entry, in Lexicon Edit), the difference between "Publish Entry In" vs "Show as Headword In" is that the latter allows it to appear in references but not as a headword, whereas the former means it will not appear either in references or as a headword.  You can find this out by hovering over each of those fields and looking for the tooltip that appears (see graphics attached).

-Beth

ShowAsHeadword.jpg
PublishEntryIn.jpg

Beth-docs Bryson

Jun 22, 2024, 12:23:26 PMJun 22
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I'm also seeing that you DID test it, and you said that the lexical relations are still showing.  It may be best to communicate with FLEx_...@sil.org.  They will be able to help you figure out if you are using it as designed, and if you are, then this may be a bug, and they can record it in the bug tracking system.

Or if you want to post pictures here, others can also look at what you've done.  For instance, a picture of the Publication Settings for the two entries you are talking about (one that is included and one that is excluded), and then a picture in Dictionary view, showing that you have chosen the Short Dictionary publication, and there is an entry showing with a Lex Rel to the entry that is not included in the Short Dictionary publication.

-Beth

Jack Boco

Jun 23, 2024, 5:20:32 AMJun 23
to FLEx list
Dear Beth,

Thank you for your response - I appreciate it. I attach two pictures which describe the issue.

You can see that the two "common words" (the ones published in the short dictionary) are connected through a "entry collection" lexical relationship with each other and with a third word "unusual word" (which is only published in the long dictionary). However, in the dictionary view for the short dictionary, the unusual word still shows up in the cross reference.

Any ideas on how to sort this? Many thanks, Jack
dictionary view.jpg
entries.jpg

Jeff Heath

Jun 24, 2024, 3:04:27 AMJun 24
to FLEx list
Hi Jack,

Yes, the unusual word still appears in the entries (as it should), but the question Beth is asking is whether the word still appears when you go to dictionary view. Can you please go to Dictionary view (in the Lexicon Zone) to display the dictionary preview? If it still appears there, then send us a screen shot. In that case, either the short dictionary isn't selected (I don't even remember how to do that right off hand...), or there is a bug in FieldWorks.

Jeff

Beth-docs Bryson

Jun 24, 2024, 1:30:35 PMJun 24
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Here’s a picture of how to choose the Publication in Dictionary view:

image.png

Yes, please set this view to the Short publication, and then see if the reference appears here.

-Beth

Jack Boco

Jun 28, 2024, 2:37:13 AMJun 28
to FLEx list
Dear Beth and Jeff,

Thank you for your responses. I had previously tried to attach a screenshot of the dictionary view but it must not have come through. I attach it again here. You will see that the issue remains in dictionary view.

Kind regards, Jack
dictionary view.jpg

Jeff Heath

Jun 28, 2024, 2:59:25 AMJun 28
to FLEx list
Hi Jack,

You had included that before, but I guess it wasn't clear to me then that that was the dictionary view (even though that was the name of the file!). So it does look like this is a FieldWorks bug. Can you please send a bug report to flexe...@sil.org, or use the "Report a problem..."  option on the Help menu from within FieldWorks?

Thanks,
Jeff

Kevin Warfel

Jun 28, 2024, 7:19:06 AMJun 28
to FLEx list
Note that the address for sending bug reports has an underscore in it: flex_...@sil.org

-Kevin

--
"FLEx list" messages are public. Only members can post.
flex_d...@sil.org
http://groups.google.com/group/flex-list.
---
Message has been deleted

Jeff Heath

Jun 28, 2024, 10:33:31 AMJun 28
to FLEx list
Interesting. I've seen the address both ways, but if you Report a Problem... from within FLEx it says:

"Please email this report to the development team: FlexE...@sil.org" (without the underscore)

Jeff

Jack Boco

Jun 28, 2024, 4:58:52 PMJun 28
to FLEx list
Thank you all for your responses. I have written to Flex to report this issue.
Jack

Susie Locklin

Jun 28, 2024, 4:59:01 PMJun 28
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I'm not at my computer at the moment, but I'm pretty sure that I've had this same problem. I have words that are not supposed to show up in a my Main Dictionary, but then when I print out Main dictionary they show up as synonyms (and perhaps even variants?) of words in Main Dictionary. So if you are able to send it in a bug report and it gets fixed, it would be helpful to others as well.
Thanks!
Susie

--
"FLEx list" messages are public. Only members can post.
flex_d...@sil.org
http://groups.google.com/group/flex-list.
---
Message has been deleted

Jack Boco

Jul 3, 2024, 8:45:46 AMJul 3
to FLEx list
Hi Susie,

Thanks for mentioning this and I am somewhat comforted to know I'm not the only one having this difficulty! Hopefully we're able to get this bug fixed, for everyone's sake.

Jack