advantages of interlinear text.

Mustafa Maryaniwal

Apr 25, 2023, 11:25:05 PM4/25/23
to FLEx list
i am a biggener with Flex.
the process of interlinearizing text apparently takes a lot of time, i would like to know the advantages of it before giving it my time and effort.

William Hanna

Apr 26, 2023, 11:44:23 AM4/26/23
to flex...@googlegroups.com

It can take a lot of hard work to get interlinearizing set up initially, especially if the language has complicated morphology. But once it is set up and running it is quick and easy to go on from there.

There have been two major benefits for me with the Tai Lue language. 1) It has helped me a lot in learning to speak Tai Lue. Working my way through texts is constantly feeding into my knowledge of the language, increasing my vocabulary, giving me questions to ask, and giving me insights into how Tai Lue people think and live.

2) Interlinearing texts have contributed a lot to the Tai Lue dictionary that I am editing. It has added lots of new words. It has added new meanings for words that I thought I already knew. It has clarified meanings because eventually I can look at ten or twenty examples of a word in context. It has given me illustrative examples to put in the dictionary. I have found times where a word could also be used as a noun when I thought it was only a verb, and vice versa.

Those are just two of the many ways that it has helped me, and that convince me that it is worth pushing through the initial setting up phase to get to the stage of working with texts and learning from them. And if the morphology of your language is complicated there are people who can help you to understand how to write the rules that Flex will understand.

Bill

On 4/25/2023 11:25 PM, Mustafa Maryaniwal wrote:
i am a biggener with Flex.
the process of interlinearizing text apparently takes a lot of time, i would like to know the advantages of it before giving it my time and effort. --
"FLEx list" messages are public. Only members can post.
flex_d...@sil.org
http://groups.google.com/group/flex-list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "FLEx list" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/flex-list/5fb1f512-d116-4396-a379-a5f8e16a6550n%40googlegroups.com.