How to save (copy) the modification date in another field

Bart-Jacqueline Eenkhoorn

May 2, 2023, 6:28:15 AM5/2/23
to 'Kari Valkama' via FLEx list
L.S.
I just discovered that the creation date of entries was imported as the modification date. I would like to save (copy) all 4000+ original dates (now called modification dates) into another field. Is there a way to do this?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Bart.

Andreas_Joswig

May 2, 2023, 8:08:52 AM5/2/23
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Dear Bart,
I think you'll want to create a new custom field, which must be of the type "date" when you create it in the "tools - Configure - Custom Fields" dialogue. Give it any name that serves your purpose. Then, in bulk-edit, have both the date-modified and the new field visible. Now you should be able to copy from one to the other.
Warm greetings,
Andreas
--
"FLEx list" messages are public. Only members can post.
flex_d...@sil.org

Andreas Joswig, PhD

Senior Linguistics Consultant

Hambühren, Germany / Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

+49 1512 3581686 (Ger) or +251 910 497594 (Eth)

Beth-docs Bryson

May 2, 2023, 12:26:19 PM5/2/23
to flex...@googlegroups.com
One of my recommendations for people importing a FLEx database is to import the \dt field into the Creation Date field.  The default is to map it to the Modification Date field, so I recommend that importers manually adjust the mapping for that field.  (I have not yet requested that the developers change the default mapping, but maybe I should.)

My reason for this is that without doing this, the Creation Date will be set to “the date of the import”, and the “Modification Date” will be changed whenever there is any editing done, including any kind of Bulk Edit that will apply to lots of entries, and the data that was in Toolbox (even if it was a “modification date” in that context) will be forever lost.

I like Andreas’ suggestion.  I have not tried doing a Bulk Copy of a Date field, but it is an interesting idea.

By the way, I am curious:  What does “L.S.” stand for?

-Beth

Bart-Jacqueline Eenkhoorn

May 2, 2023, 1:14:32 PM5/2/23
to 'Kari Valkama' via FLEx list
Thanks for writing Beth,
Sadly I only discovered this after several months and many edits were made, so we lost about 40-60% of the creation dates. It would have been nice to know about this fact or be warned about it during the import process .. But not that of a big deal for us, but it could be very important for others of course. In the end I did not create a new custom field but was able to swap the dates via the back-door ... so all is well.
L.S. stand for lectori salutem (Latin: “the reader be greeted”)
Greetings, Bart.

glyph3 and logoBart Eenkhoorn
Linguist / Facilitateur
SIL Afrique de l’Ouest

Beth-docs Bryson

May 2, 2023, 2:05:05 PM5/2/23
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Bart.

Actually, I did request this change, long enough ago that I forgot.  It just never rose to a very high priority (there are LOTS of open issues).  The Jira number for it is LT-15671.

-Beth