Is this group also for the Flex 4 book?

Daniel Waite

Sep 29, 2010, 6:15:48 PM9/29/10
to Flex 3:Training from the Source
That is, Flex 4: Training from the Source. I started going through
that book last night and I just want to make sure this is the right
group.

Thank you.

- Daniel

Michael Labriola

Sep 29, 2010, 6:23:06 PM9/29/10
to Flex 3:Training from the Source
Yep, you can post here

Daniel Waite

Sep 29, 2010, 6:28:15 PM9/29/10
to Flex 3:Training from the Source
Hooray!

Okay then, I have a question... I'm on page 34 or 35, running the
independent example from lesson 2, wherein it's (you, actually, I
guess -- how cool!) trying to get me to use the debugger. However,
when clicking the little bug icon, and subsequently the UI button to
perform the sum in the browser, it's not stopping; it's just goes on
like normal.

I was somehow able to get a message that mentioned something about
needing a debug version of the Flash player. (I'm at the office right
now trying to recall all this stuff, so forgive me if I'm a bit
vague.) Where might I find such a Flash player? For OS X, if it makes
a difference.

Thanks again!

- Daniel

Michael Labriola

Sep 29, 2010, 6:45:16 PM9/29/10
to Flex 3:Training from the Source

Grab the debug versions from here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

Daniel Waite

Sep 29, 2010, 9:45:24 PM9/29/10
to Flex 3:Training from the Source
I installed what I believe to be the correct player for this debug
exercise. Direct link below:

Here's a screen shot of what I'm seeing...
http://rabbitcreative.com/debug.png

Note in the lower-right corner of Flash Builder there's a progress bar
stuck at 57%. It hands there until this dialog pops up:
http://rabbitcreative.com/debug2.png

Any ideas?

- Daniel

Jeff Tapper

Sep 29, 2010, 9:50:19 PM9/29/10
to Flex 3:Training from the Source
Daniel -

Open this page in your browser:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507.html

you should see feedback indicating what version of player you have,
and whether or not it is the debug player. Can you post exactly what
you see from this screen?

On Sep 29, 9:45 pm, Daniel Waite <rabbitb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed what I believe to be the correct player for this debug
> exercise. Direct link below:
>
> Here's a screen shot of what I'm seeing...http://rabbitcreative.com/debug.png

Daniel Waite

Sep 29, 2010, 9:58:51 PM9/29/10
to Flex 3:Training from the Source
Ah, shoot. Looks like I installed the wrong player:
http://rabbitcreative.com/not-debug.png

This is the link I used to download what I thought was the debug
player:
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/updaters/10/flashplayer_10_plugin_debug_ub.dmg

Thanks for the hyper-fast replies!

- Daniel

Daniel Waite

Sep 29, 2010, 10:00:08 PM9/29/10
to Flex 3:Training from the Source
I restarted my browser both after I installed the (wrong) Flash player
and before and after I ran the Flash player checker test.

- Daniel

Michael Labriola

Sep 29, 2010, 10:04:27 PM9/29/10
to Flex 3:Training from the Source

Daniel,

If you are having issues getting the right one installed, you may want
to uninstall flash player completely. Adobe has a tool that will
remove it.

Then try to install the debug version, but the lack of this debug
version is def the issue.

Mike

Daniel Waite

Sep 29, 2010, 10:25:36 PM9/29/10
to Flex 3:Training from the Source
I uninstalled Flash. Reinstalled the same version I linked to above,
and the version-testing page you linked to still says I'm not running
the debug version. Sad face.

However... if I go to the same version-testing page in Safari, it says
I DO have the debug version. Perhaps it has something to do with
Chrome's auto-magically handling Flash updates?

Thanks so much for your help! I'll set my default browser to Safari
anytime I need to use the Flex debugger.

- Daniel

Daniel Waite

Sep 29, 2010, 10:34:14 PM9/29/10
to Flex 3:Training from the Source
Just to confirm, it works beautifully in Safari. Bad Chrome, bad.

- Daniel

Jeff Tapper

Sep 30, 2010, 8:36:32 AM9/30/10
to Flex 3:Training from the Source
At this point its probably easiest to have you tell FlashBuilder to
use Safari to run the application. You can set this in Window >
Preferences > General > Web Browser.

Daniel Waite

Sep 30, 2010, 12:06:21 PM9/30/10
to Flex 3:Training from the Source
> You can set this in Window > Preferences > General > Web Browser.

Even better! Thanks Jeff!

- Daniel

eRoom-D

Sep 30, 2010, 12:24:04 PM9/30/10
to flex-3training-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Daniel,

The auto updating Chrome issue is one I have run into on a current project. This article might help you get the debug player working in Chrome in case you really need to use it.

http://www.aaronwest.net/blog/index.cfm/2010/4/27/Configuring-Chrome-with-Flash-Player-Debugger

Thanks,

David Moore

Flash and Flex Developer - http://vandermore.com

Daniel Waite

Oct 7, 2010, 12:49:55 PM10/7/10
to Flex 3:Training from the Source
Ah, very cool David. Thanks for the heads-up; both for the purposes of
working with Flex and the new knowledge about Chrome.

I appreciate it!

- Daniel