Ministry Update - Twitter and/or Facebook for Recommended Articles

Joe Fleener

Sep 23, 2010, 4:30:07 AM9/23/10
to Joe Fleener

It is likely some of you will receive multiple copies of this. I am sorry, but I am sending it through a few different distribution lists which have some overlap in memberships.

All:

By now, you would have received an email from me regarding a change in ministry which is to take place by the first part of December. As I shift from being a lecturer at The Shepherd’s Bible College to Associate Pastor at Howick Baptist Church, a number of areas of responsibilities will change.

I wanted to take a moment to let you know that my normal distribution of email articles is likely to change over the coming weeks.

Since the 6th of May 2007, I have sent approximately 1,081 articles via an email distribution list. That is on average .92 articles/day for over three years!

Although, I certainly do not foresee myself reading any less, I do foresee a decrease in the emailing of articles. In addition any articles I send will not be as a representative of The Shepherd’s Bible College, but simply from me personally.

This change, in email distribution, has been building up over the past year anyway as I have begun to use other tools to link people to helpful, reliable resources on the Internet. For nearly a year now, I have been sending out fewer emails (I know it may not seem like it) and am posting more on Twitter & Facebook. (I made over 1,600 posts to Twitter/Facebook in the past 13 months – mostly links to articles.)

So, from now on the best way to track what I am reading online and to have direct links to helpful & reliable Internet articles & resources is to “follow” me on Twitter and/or become a “friend” on Facebook. (You can find a list of all the online articles I notate on my blog twice/day as well - http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/ - but that is so 2008! J)

I use an online notation tool to highlight helpful portions of articles I read online and occasionally document notes or comments to accompany them. Then I post a link to Twitter & Facebook of my annotated article. This allows me to read more and post the links for others to access with just a couple of clicks of the mouse. (Thank you to the Young Adults from Howick Baptist Church who showed me how to do this last year!)

If you have benefitted from these emailed articles in the past and you are on Facebook, then I would encourage you to add me as a “friend.” Once this is done you will see all the article links I post.

The other option is to “follow” me on Twitter. By going to www.twitter.com and creating an account you can then “follow” me – jfleener5. Once this is done you will receive a notification every time I post a link to an article on Twitter.

The links I post to Twitter & Facebook are identical, so you really don’t need to do both.

(Full disclosure: I do occasionally post updates of a more personal nature regarding our family, photos, videos, etc. to Twitter & Facebook. If you do the above you will also see these. Sorry, but there really isn’t any way to get only the articles.)

Finally, if you would like to continue to receive any emailed articles I send – again, these will be much less frequent – please respond to this email indicating that, so I can make sure you are added to my new list.

So to make sure this is clear – I will continue to read articles online and will continue to post links to the more helpful & reliable articles to Twitter & Facebook for others’ benefit. If you have benefitted from the emailed articles over the past three years, then you would continue to benefit by following me in one of the above ways.

Blessings in Christ,

Joe Fleener

http://www.howickbaptist.org.nz/

Blog - http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/