Fleener Update - Trusting in God's Sovereignty During Tragedy

Joe Fleener

Jun 20, 2007, 7:09:01 AM6/20/07
to Fleenersin...@googlegroups.com

To all:

We know we have not sent out a “real” update via this email group in a few months. We are sorry that this is the kind of update you are now receiving – however, we covet the prayers of many at this time.

The past 36 hours have been a real storm for us here in New Zealand.

Around 5:30am on Tuesday (New Zealand time) I received an email from someone in the States informing us that one of Mandy’s brothers – Timothy Birtchet (the second youngest in the family – Mandy is the eldest of five) had taken his own life sometime on Sunday (Father’s Day in the States). He was 21 years old.

At that time to our knowledge no one else in Mandy’s family had been notified as they were unable to locate anyone’s contact information.

Within the next couple of hours I spoke to the husband of the family Tim was living with (which we were completely unaware of) along with the coroner and police office in Pennsylvania. We were able to determine that the rest of the family had been notified by then. However, Mandy’s father was in transit to Montreal and we did not have contact information for anyone else.

Since then we have had a lengthy phone conversation with the family Tim lived with which was very difficult, but also helpful in bring clarity to various questions.

We have also been in contact with Mandy’s Father and eldest brother on several occasions all within the past 24 hours.

After a lot of prayer, talking between ourselves and counsel we decided today that Mandy will return for her brother’s services there in Pennsylvania. She will leave here tomorrow afternoon (NZ Time) to arrive in Philadelphia late Thursday night. The services will be held on Saturday and Sunday in PA. She will leave the US Tuesday to return home to New Zealand on Thursday.

This will be a long and difficult trip – we solicit your prayers for her safety and God’s ever present comfort while she travels alone.

The day after Mandy leaves here; my Mother is scheduled to arrive here in New Zealand for a visit which has been scheduled for some six months. Mandy will be gone for the first week of my Mom’s two week visit.

In addition, I am scheduled to preach at our home church – church@riverbend on Sunday – Romans 8:12-17.

We covet your prayers for our family back here in New Zealand during Mandy’s absence.

Please pray for Mandy, that she would know the sovereign comfort of her Heavenly Father. Please pray for Mandy’s family (Father and 3 other siblings – their mother passed away 3 ½ years ago) – that the circumstances of this event would glorify God and if He so wills would be a means of drawing many of them to Himself.

n       In the midst of all of this, we have been so blessed and overwhelmed with the loved and compassion of Christ which has been shown to us by our church family here at church@riverbend. The visits, cards, tangible efforts at help are all signs of their love for Christ and we are humbled to know they love us.

o        This compassion has been clearly noticed by our children as well – this morning – Tuesday – as Mandy at one stage was crying again, our eldest daughter – Mekaela – immediately notices and says, “Mommy is crying again, I guess that means more people will be coming over.” – Thank you church@riverbend for being an obvious sign of God’s love for us to our children.

-          If anyone needs to contact us over the next week, email, home phone or our US Skype # are the best options as I will not have my mobile phone while Mandy is gone.

Blessings in Christ,

Joe, Mandy, Mekaela, Gavin, Tabitha Fleener

Philippians 4:4-9

Joe Fleener

jfle...@digitalexegesis.com

Site - http://www.digitalexegesis.com

Blog - http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/

BibleWorks Trainer - http://schedule.digitalexegesis.com/bibleworks.html

Skype US Phone #: (256) 513-5679

Skype ID: jfleener

MSN/Windows Live Messenger: jfle...@digitalexegesis.com

Director of Distance Learning/Library Director

The Shepherd's Bible College

PO BOX 8229 Havelock North New Zealand

Ph. +64 6 877-8013

Mob +64 021 998617

Fax +64 6 877-5821

www.tsbc.org.nz

http://library.tsbc.org.nz

Library and Information Services Coordinator

The Master's Academy International

24307 Magic Mountain Parkway #540

Valencia, CA 91355-3402

(661) 295-6232