Group Gravel Ride, May 23, Danby SF

Rob Joyce

May 22, 2024, 9:00:30 AMMay 22
to flcc-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all --

Change of venue this week, heading over to the Danby State Forest.  For those who haven't ridden through that area, the forest roads are (generally) not as "spicy" as some of the Shindagin dirt road climbs, which means you can go faster/farther, but some of the terrain is rockier and you definitely have to pay attention.  You'll be rewarded with some great views as we explore Danby over the summer!

Details:
- Start Time: Thursday, May 23, ready to roll at 6:00pm
- Start Location: Danby Park-n-Ride on 96B & Gunderman Road, https://goo.gl/maps/7UavJSeSpzdcQ9u98
- Route: Michigan Hollow > Curtis > Signor Hill > Bald Hill, https://ridewithgps.com/routes/40764796
- Stats: 18 mi, +/- 1,521 ft
- After: snacks or whatever beverage you like in the lot

What to expect:
This route has lots of gradual climbs and some impressive descents.  Only the most intrepid will be able to stay on two wheels for the top of Smiley Road, but it's very short and is the only steep hill.  The rest of us will walk the 200 feet of Smiley where we inevitably lose traction.

If you've done any of the Shindagin rides this year, you can definitely do these hills!

If there are enough folks, we'll probably split up into two groups.  I'll likely need a volunteer from the faster group who has the route and knows the turns.

I normally try to pre-ride routes earlier in the week, but I haven't been to Danby this year.  If anyone has recent local intel about the route (e.g., closed roads, trees down), please let me know!

Cheers,
_Rob