FLCC Gravel Ride, June 8, 6pm, Shindagin

Rob Joyce

Jun 7, 2023, 10:20:24 AM6/7/23
to flcc-...@googlegroups.com, fingerlak...@googlegroups.com
Hey all — Greetings from Tatooine.  This week’s gravel ride, smoke and weather permitting, will be back at Shindagin.  It’ll include the southern downhill of Level Green Road, which I remember having quite the view from last year.

Launch Time: Thursday, June 8, 6:00pm
Meetup Location: Braley Hill Road parking lot at Shindagin: https://goo.gl/maps/FByWMVypByA9pEJD8
Route: clockwise Downey > Yaple > Level Green > Smith > Hurd Hill > Braley, 19.6 mi, +/- 2021 ft: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/43191493

The biggest uphills on this route are Downey (which we’ve done before), Yaple (paved), Smith, and Braley Hill northbound (long but gradual).  And the downhills are definitely worth it.  If the fast group wants an additional challenge, they can substitute Ekroos for Smith.

With all the smoke locally from Canadian wildfires, it seems likely that the air quality will be pretty bad (like today!).  In the name of keeping people healthy, I’ll call off the ride if the Air Quality Index (AQI) will be “unhealthy” (150+) or worse.  Not worth risking your lungs just for a ride.  If the AQI is “unhealthy for sensitive groups,” we’ll discuss a possible shorter/flatter route based on people’s comfort levels at the start.

Adding even more fun, it’s entirely possible it’ll be raining on Thursday night.  If there’s light rain, we’ll go on anyway.  If it’s a downpour, or thunderstorms are imminent, I’ll call it off too.  Final determination by 4pm on Thursday.

Maybe some rain would wash all these particulates out of the air?

See you in the woods on Thursday!
_Rob

Rob Joyce

Jun 8, 2023, 4:12:50 PM6/8/23
to flcc-...@googlegroups.com, fingerlak...@googlegroups.com
Hi all -- we're on for tonight's ride!  It looks like most of the rain will pass by before 6pm, and the AQI is ~100 from monitoring stations in Ellis Hollow.  Please use your own judgement if you're not entirely comfortable with the air quality or potentially-slippery conditions.  We may shorten/simplify the route based on actual conditions in Shindagin.

Ewan Robinson

Jun 8, 2023, 4:46:01 PM6/8/23
to Rob Joyce, flcc-...@googlegroups.com, fingerlak...@googlegroups.com
Very last minute: would anyone like to carpool from downtown?
I'm open to driving or getting a ride. If you want to ride in my car, you'll probably need to take both wheels off.

Thanks,
Ewan

--
Visit the Finger Lakes Cycling Club website at https://fingerlakescycling.org
---

Andrew K

Jun 10, 2023, 12:10:56 PM6/10/23
to Ewan Robinson, Rob Joyce, fingerlak...@googlegroups.com, flcc-...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone- short notice but decided to ride the waterfront trail and Black Diamond trail today out and back leaving from Stewart Park. Just wanted to extend the invitation! No set departure time. Approximately 24 miles but very little elevation, relaxed/casual pace. Let me know if you want to join! My number is 631 877 4693

Andrew