Re: [Brevard] Question: Do you believe Ponce de Leon landed in Melbourne Beac...

DougB...@aol.com

Jun 10, 2008, 6:49:20 PM6/10/08
to flbr...@googlegroups.com, ourhis...@yahoo.com
In a message dated 6/10/2008 5:32:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time, rko...@gmail.com writes:

The accepted theory was that he landed in the area of Ponce Inlet. But
the Brevard Historical Commission has erected a monument in Melbourne
Beach regarding his landing there

I just discovered this fascinating subject of history.

Anybody research the early local explorers?

Interesting--I was aware of this as an artist friend of ours did the mural there with a group of young people from our school system.  There was much researech done and there is a strong belief that he actually landed in this area.
Doug

Vote for your city's best dining and nightlife. City's Best 2008.
(http://citysbest.aol.com?ncid=aolacg00050000000102)