Looking for oral histories of May Day for my column. Douglas Dummett

ourhistory153

Apr 8, 2008, 11:29:07 PM4/8/08
to FLBrevard
First off, I received some good quotes for the
"Land Remembered" seminar. I will be posting the good ones at
my Blog at Florida Today called "Time Passages". I welcome you
visiting and giving me comments. Comments mean a lot in the
Blog world.

My column this month with Senior Life includes quotes from the
writings
of Thomas Barbour, Robert Ranson and Amos Cummings (via Professor
Milanich).

I am told, I spelt Dummitt incorrectly however. So I stand corrected
as
the correct spelling is Dummett. Captain Douglas Dummett.

For my column next month I am soliciting contributions. The story is
about May Day festivities in the 19th century. I understand that at
Oleander Park in Cocoa they had a big picnic with sailing regattas.
Do you know any oral histories that tell of local happenings on May
Day?
If so send me a few sentences if it is from someone's diary. I know it
is
too far back to find anybody that lived in that time period but there
may
be a story that has been handed down.

Part of my mission as a historic writer is to uncover the stories that
are
fading away in time.