May Day Sailing, Tony Canova the fastest on the Indian River.

ourhistory153

Apr 17, 2008, 12:23:59 AM4/17/08
to FLBrevard, ourhis...@yahoo.com
This is a quote I used in a story I wrote about May Day.

Ever hear of Tony Canova?

“Tony had a sloop named Arrow that was the fastest sailboat on Indian
river or Lake Worth at the time. For some years the people of Indian
River held a May Day Picnic at Oleander Point, near Rockledge, and
yacht racing was the main feature of the outing. Tony entered the
Arrow the first two or three years and won easily, beating all others
so badly they didn’t stand a chance but then the Arrow was barred from
the races.”
Chapter New Settlers and the Barefoot Mailman.
in book Pioneer Life in Southeast Florida by Charles W. Pierce.

If you like this kind of historical tidbits check out Ray Osborne's
Blog at Florida Today entitled,
"Time Passages".