Small miracles

kate

Jan 17, 2007, 12:52:39 PM1/17/07
to Flatcoats
Cassie and I have been visiting 2 residential homes for the elderly for
a while now ( PAT dog registered) and so I know how much joy a visit
can bring especially to those who have had to give up their beloved
pets. Yesterday her son Sam and my husband went on their first PAT dog
visit. I had guessed that Sam would be good, he has a very soft and
gentle nature and loves to rest his head on your lap to be stroked but
never dreamt of the effect he would have on one gentleman.
This man was quite lively at the start of 2006 but had a very bad fall
in the summer of that year and really went down hill, sitting slumped
in his chair, not talking or showing interest in anything, waiting in
fact to die. Then along came Sam! Sam went up to him and put his head
down for a pat. Nothing -- after a minute or so Sam gave up and started
to move off to find a more obliging companion. Suddenly the old
gentleman raised his head and struggled to his feet. A care worker
helped him and then with the aid of his walking frame he stood up and
called Sam. Sam obligingly came to him and spent the next 15 mins being
stroked and gently talked to. None of the staff could believe what had
happened!
If he does nothing else in his life I am sure an angel will be waiting
for Sam over the rainbow bridge.

Shirley Thistlethwaite

Jan 17, 2007, 3:00:07 PM1/17/07
to flat...@googlegroups.com
What a wonderful story!  That angel at the bridge will have extra cookies, I'm sure!

num...@aol.com

Jan 17, 2007, 3:58:01 PM1/17/07
to flat...@googlegroups.com
Really great story!!! What a wonderful experience for you, too :) Extra cookies for sure!!