Moving and puppy?

1 view

Ali

Jun 22, 2007, 2:59:56 AM6/22/07
to Flatcoats
We are new to flatcoats and Loki is 16 months old now and we have
never looked back. Absolutely cannot imagine life without him - he has
such character it's like another family member - not that I need to
tell any of you that!

I would really like another - I'm sure flatcoats were meant to have
company of others not just humans. We are about to move house over the
summer so I think we will wait until early next year now.

Any advice on moving with a dog? Do they just settle or can they
stress or worry? Is there a better age at which to introduce a puppy
to Loki?

Many thanks

Ali

Jean Glover

Jun 22, 2007, 8:24:01 AM6/22/07
to flat...@googlegroups.com

I have moved many times with my flatcoats. If you are relaxed, they will be, too. If you are moving nearby, visiting beforehand can help. We have moved internationally, too. And the dogs are really very laid back - as long as they are with you.. in my experience they'll be fine.

If you are moving a long way.. make the journey as comfortable as you can for them, with plenty of breaks. Sometimes it is easer if you kennel them or leave them with a friend for a few days over the move - especially if you are not sure they will be safe with the movers in and out and doors open.

Keep their toys and beds handy and feed them the same food, take some of the same water, too if they have a tendency to upset tums.

Take them for a really good long walk the day you arrive and they will soon be very happy!

I would also not leave my dog alone for a few days, until they settle and the place really smells of you!

As for a new puppy, flatcoats don't really mature til 3. So your first dog will still be very needy until around two or two and a half. 2 dogs - two FLATCOATS! under two years of age would be a real challenge for anybody! I would say that the time is right when your first dog is well and truly bonded with you and pretty obedient.

That way you should be able to focus training attention more on the puppy and avoid dominance issues.

Have fun!

Jean

From: Ali <ali.d...@btinternet.com>
To: Flatcoats <flat...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [Flatcoats] Moving and puppy?
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 23:59:56 -0700

Allison Garfoot

Jun 22, 2007, 8:54:11 AM6/22/07
to flat...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We moved with our flatcoat when she was about 1 years old and she was fine.
She settled in very quickly. I kept her on the lead for a while if we went
out, just until she got used to smells etc.

As for getting puppies, we were aware that our little girl was lonely for
other flatcoat company so we decided to get a companion for her when she was
about 18 months old. We ended up getting another 2 - brothers - and Pipkin,
our girl loved them from the moment we brought them home. She instantly
became the older sister and seemed to grow up overnight. She'd always been
a bit 'delicate' and mischievous, but she matured so quickly and stopped
escaping immediately the boys were brought into the pack.
Personally I like it that they are similar ages (just 1 year- 18 months
apart) as they play so well together. It also means that all the devastation
is over with in one go - especially the destruction of the lawn! They all
tend to learn off each other, so as long as your first born is well behaved
etc and can set a good example it makes the ride smoother. Yes, it can be a
handful at times, but we are lucky and have plenty of land for them to run
about in and burn their energy off and I wouldn't change things for the
world.

Good luck,

Allison, Pipkin, Nelson & Fellow

Jun 22, 2007, 9:18:04 AM6/22/07
to flat...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I'm new to this board and this is my first post.  I second everything Jean says about moving and about getting a second puppy.  I just wanted to throw my two cents in about the puppy question since I have done it both ways.  The first time we got a second dog (a puppy), our other dog was 16 months old.  I will never do that again!  It was fine, they were great friends, they were both young so they bonded well and played together.  However, it was very difficult to train the puppy because the older dog was still so needy.  In addition, the puppy picked up on the older dog's bad habits since the older dog was essentially still a puppy herself.  I never felt that either of them were as trained as I would have liked them to be and life was always a little "hectic" with the dogs.

Unfortunately, last year, we had to have the younger dog put to sleep at 5 years of age, due to an autoimmune disease.  After nearly a year, we decided that we needed a second dog again and brought our FCR puppy "Gauge" home in January.  This time, it has been a completely different experience.  Our older dog was nearly 7 this time when we brought Gauge home and it has been a wonderful experience.  Gauge has learned good habits this time from Jasmine and has picked up on her cues to quickly integrate himself into our daily routine.  In addition, Jasmine is old enough and settled enough that she's happy to loaf on our bed much of the day now, so she doesn't mind if I spend time training Gauge since she's been there done that.  She is still young enough that she's happy to play and wrestle with Gauge on walks, but old enough and well-trained enough that, when it's time to settle down, I can tell her and Gauge will follow her lead.

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded response, I just wanted to let you know that I would definitely recommend waiting until your dog is settled, reliably trained and mature (maybe around 3-4 years old) before getting a puppy.  Although you may want that puppy now, it is definitely worth the wait!

Melissa

Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 23:59:56 -0700

Allison Garfoot

Jun 22, 2007, 3:13:22 PM6/22/07
to flat...@googlegroups.com
I guess it depends on each individual dog and situation and you will have to gauge this as you know your dog(s) best.  Each dog is different. My experience was a very positive one, and it benefited my older dog hugely, so that is all I can comment on.  I now have 3 very well behaved and loving dogs, aged 3 years and 3.5 years old so I am pleased with my outcome.

Perfect Paws Dog Training

Jun 22, 2007, 10:24:22 PM6/22/07
to flat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Allison, I read your post right after I posted mine and thought - well, now she has 2 very conflicting answers, doesn't she?  You're absolutely right, it depends a lot on your situation and your dog.  In your case, it sounds like your older dog took to being a big sister well and I'm sure it helps that you have a lot of land for them to tire themselves out.  For most people though, generally speaking, my recommendation would be to wait until your first dog is reliably trained and settled.  Just my opinion, based on my own experience and from people that I have worked with.

Sounds like your dogs have a great family!

Melissa

num...@aol.com

Jun 24, 2007, 11:20:17 PM6/24/07
to flat...@googlegroups.com
We are traveling across North America with Gypsy and Stella....from Florida to Anchorage and back. This is day 16 on the road and they are doiung great. We brought Gypsy's littermate Stella into our family when they were over 2 and she had absolutely no problem adjusting...neither did Gypsy.
My $.02 :)
Bruce