How to turn off automatic reboot of Flatcar Nodes in production

abdulazee...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2021, 9:23:41 AM12/17/21
to Flatcar Container Linux User
How do we turn off automatic reboot of Flatcar Nodes in production. We're fine with downloading the updates. We however want to reboot at a time of our choosing so that we can inform our clients of the update window.

We're currently running on 3033.2.0 version.

Aaron Silber

Dec 17, 2021, 11:00:12 AM12/17/21
to abdulazee...@gmail.com, Flatcar Container Linux User
Hello,

Please use Ignition to set a reboot_strategy of either 'off' (completely manual, no reboots), 'reboot' (with a reboot window set) or 'etcd-lock' to take a distributed lock in etcd, to prevent rebooting the entire cluster at once. If you are not able to re-launch your nodes, you can manually edit the contents of /etc/flatcar/update.conf to choose a reboot strategy that fits your workflow.

-Aaron

On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 9:23 AM abdulazee...@gmail.com <abdulazee...@gmail.com> wrote:
How do we turn off automatic reboot of Flatcar Nodes in production. We're fine with downloading the updates. We however want to reboot at a time of our choosing so that we can inform our clients of the update window.

We're currently running on 3033.2.0 version.

Kai Lüke

Jan 10, 2022, 6:23:13 AM1/10/22
to Aaron Silber, abdulazee...@gmail.com, Flatcar Container Linux User
Besides downloading the updates when they come available and delaying
the reboot, you can also delay the downloading of the updates when you
want to control this process better (otherwise you may have an update
applied by a "regular" reboot).
The primary mechanism for this is to use your own local Nebraska
instance where you have the instances that you want to update together
in their own Nebraska group (and channel).
The other is to do it per machine through disabling updates
("SERVER=disabled" in update.conf) and downloading them manually with
"flatcar-update"
(https://www.flatcar.org/docs/latest/setup/releases/switching-channels/#jump-to-another-channel-with-flatcar-update).

--
Kinvolk GmbH | Adalbertstr.6a, 10999 Berlin | tel: +491755589364

Geschäftsführer/Directors: Benjamin Owen Orndorff

Registergericht/Court of registration: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg

Registernummer/Registration number: HRB 171414 B

Ust-ID-Nummer/VAT ID number: DE302207000

Kai Lüke

Jan 10, 2022, 6:41:44 AM1/10/22
to Aaron Silber, abdulazee...@gmail.com, Flatcar Container Linux User
Sorry, should have been this link since the scenario is the same
because you would also need to disable updates afterwards again:
https://www.flatcar.org/docs/latest/setup/debug/manual-rollbacks/#rollback-with-flatcar-update