Support for Azure's AADSSHLoginForLinux in Flatcar

Justin Hopper

Mar 1, 2022, 6:16:58 PM3/1/22
to Flatcar Container Linux User
Hello,

Is there any plans to support Azure's AADSSHLoginForLinux extension for Flatcar?  Most major Linux distros are supported according to here:

The error when trying to use this extension on Flatcar is:

Message="The handler for VM extension type 'Microsoft.Azure.ActiveDirectory.AADSSHLoginForLinux' has reported terminal failure for VM extension 'AADSSHLoginForLinux' with error message: '[ExtensionOperationError] Non-zero exit code: 51, /var/lib/waagent/Microsoft.Azure.ActiveDirectory.AADSSHLoginForLinux-1.0.1713.1/./installer.sh install\n[stdout]\nMachine OS: flatcar v3033.2.1\nUnknown packaging system\n\n\n[stderr]\nUnknown failure\n'.\r\n \r\n'Install handler failed for the extension.

Which seems to be complaining that there's no package manager, which of course there is not.

Any workarounds to get this working?  Can we manually install the binaries the extension is looking for, without a package manager?

If that's not possible, any suggestions for authenticating SSH access to Flatcar in Azure for AAD users?  I was hoping this extension would be a perfect fit, but without compatibility of the extension and Flatcar, it seems to be a bust.

Thanks!

- Justin

k...@kinvolk.io

Mar 7, 2022, 8:28:38 AM3/7/22