KVM support

Christian Tardif

Oct 12, 2022, 11:04:14 PM10/12/22
to Flatcar Container Linux User
Hi,

I'm currently using flatcar for my kubernetes deployments (RKE2) and I'd like to evaluate the possibility to run kubevirt in my clusters in order to run kvm vm's, providing virtual machines management during apps transition to kubernetes.

I can't find any documentation on how to do this.

My flatcar hosts are physical hosts with virtualization support set in BIOS.

Any clue?  Is this at all possible ?

Thanks,

Christian

Jeremi Piotrowski

Oct 13, 2022, 3:48:28 AM10/13/22
to Flatcar Container Linux User
Hi Christian,

Flatcar has all the kernel support you need for running KVM VM's. Looking at some diagrams, kubevirt appears to bring its own userspace (qemu/libvirt) inside pods that is used to run vms. There's nothing preventing that from working, I suggest you follow generic kubevirt instructions and let us know how that goes.

Jeremi

Christian Tardif

Oct 17, 2022, 11:13:51 PM10/17/22
to Flatcar Container Linux User
OK Someone from kubevirt finally helped me to sort this out. Nothing at all to do with Flatcar. In fact, I was running kubernetes 1.25.3 and kubevirt 0.57.x, which are incompatible one to the other. kubevirt 0.58.0went out a few days ago, which fixes this incompatibility. Now, I have a running VM on Flatcar through kubevirt !  :-)

Christian