Flatbuffers reflection for java

Romain Gilles

May 23, 2016, 3:59:34 AM5/23/16
to FlatBuffers
Hi all,
I would like to first thank for this project. It sounds really promising for me.
I would like to known if you are working on a java api for reflection; something inspired by the c++ one?

Thanks in advance.

Romain.

Wouter van Oortmerssen

May 23, 2016, 12:27:03 PM5/23/16
to Romain Gilles, FlatBuffers
I am personally not working on that at this time. I may get to it eventually, or an external contributor could add it.

Romain Gilles

May 25, 2016, 3:36:17 AM5/25/16
to FlatBuffers, romain...@gmail.com
Thank you for your answer.
I hope by the end of this week I will be able to say if I can contribute.

Thanks,

Roomain

Romain Gilles

May 31, 2016, 3:35:17 AM5/31/16
to FlatBuffers, romain...@gmail.com
Hi,
I have done some testing of flatbuffers and it is exactly what I'm looking for. I will be very please to contribute. If you don't mind I would like to try to implement the reflection api for java, with your support!
It is ok for you?

Regards,

Romain.

Wouter van Oortmerssen

May 31, 2016, 1:59:02 PM5/31/16
to Romain Gilles, FlatBuffers
Romain,

That sounds great!

Make sure you have a good understand on how the C++ version accomplishes reflection. Another thing that will be important is good tests, as getting the implementation right is tricky.

Feel free to make a PR early, so we can see if we're going in the right direction.

Romain Gilles

Jun 1, 2016, 3:48:17 PM6/1/16
to FlatBuffers, romain...@gmail.com
Hi Wouter,
Can I propose you to use maven in the java project part to compile and run the unit test?
I see that the Java test case are written in a single test class JavaTest. Is it the only way to test or can we enable / setup maven project to run JUnit or Testng or ... to code the test case?

If you want I usually work with maven so if you want I can restructure the java sub project.

What do you think I will follow your vision?

Romain.

Wouter van Oortmerssen

Jun 2, 2016, 2:48:55 PM6/2/16
to Romain Gilles, FlatBuffers
We have plans to better support Maven, I just haven't gotten to it yet (I'm not an active  Java programmer myself).

Lets do it in three steps, to keep PRs reviewable. First, reflection and tests for the reflection as something called from JavaTest. Then in seperate PRs, we can add Maven based build&test, then after, we can see what is involved in adding JUnit, ok?

Romain Gilles

Jun 6, 2016, 9:00:27 AM6/6/16
to FlatBuffers, romain...@gmail.com
Ok,
I say that because I was about to add also an maven for JMH project in order to micro bench the technical options.

Romain

Romain Gilles

Jun 6, 2016, 9:02:05 AM6/6/16
to FlatBuffers, romain...@gmail.com
And I was about to make it OSGi compliant too.

Romain Gilles

Jun 6, 2016, 9:02:53 AM6/6/16
to FlatBuffers, romain...@gmail.com
I can do it in a separate pull request and you will see the impact.

Romain

Wouter van Oortmerssen

Jun 6, 2016, 1:40:49 PM6/6/16
to Romain Gilles, FlatBuffers
Yes, even if you want to do it before you start on reflection, keeping PRs as small and simple as possible is preferred :)

Romain Gilles

Jun 7, 2016, 10:42:55 AM6/7/16
to FlatBuffers, romain...@gmail.com
Hi,
I create the pull request for project structure: https://github.com/google/flatbuffers/pull/3902
Please let me know if you think it's a good idea or not. After that I will work on the reflection api based on your feedbacks.
I can understand that this kind of restructuration of a project is dangerous.

Regards,

Romain.

Romain Gilles

Jun 10, 2016, 1:12:45 AM6/10/16
to FlatBuffers
Hi Wounter
Did you have time to have a look to my pull request? As soon as you accept or reject it I jump on the reflection.

Regards,

Romain.

Wouter van Oortmerssen

Jun 13, 2016, 7:46:06 PM6/13/16
to Romain Gilles, FlatBuffers
Sorry, been busy :)

Romain.

Ranger

Jul 8, 2016, 11:53:11 PM7/8/16
to FlatBuffers
Hi Romain,
I'm working in a project that uses FlatBuffers to store data. I'm working in both C++ and Java languages and it is nice to use reflection in C++ side. I wanna use reflection in Java same as in C++ but there are no sources up to now. How is your progress, are you done with it? Reflection in Java is the thing I really need right now.

Thanks,
Quan Nguyen Hoang

Romain Gilles

Jul 12, 2016, 1:10:18 AM7/12/16
to FlatBuffers
Hi,
Sorry for the delay!
For now I'm too busy to work on it. If nobody has started I think I will be able to work on it by the end of August...

Sorry,

Romain

Romain Gilles

Aug 26, 2016, 5:58:27 AM8/26/16
to FlatBuffers
Hi Wouter
Can I start on this subject?

Thanks,

Romain

Wouter van Oortmerssen

Aug 26, 2016, 12:47:52 PM8/26/16
to Romain Gilles, FlatBuffers
Sure, go ahead. You'll be working on reflection now, correct?

Romain Gilles

Aug 29, 2016, 4:48:00 AM8/29/16
to FlatBuffers, romain...@gmail.com
Yes I would like to start to work on Java reflection
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to flatbuffers...@googlegroups.com.

Romain Gilles

Aug 29, 2016, 4:30:44 PM8/29/16
to FlatBuffers
BTW: I added some comments to my last PR : https://github.com/google/flatbuffers/pull/4003
I think, I know why you have the strange class loading issue.
Please have a look and let me know.

Regards

Romain.

Romain Gilles

Sep 6, 2016, 5:25:56 PM9/6/16
to FlatBuffers
Hi Wouter,
I have started to play with the reflection for Java.
I'm waiting from you to validate (or reject) my previous pull request to start a new one on reflection.
I have some comments (/ remarks) on it, I would like to share with you...

Thanks,

Romain.

Wouter van Oortmerssen

Sep 9, 2016, 6:29:22 PM9/9/16
to Romain Gilles, FlatBuffers
Sorry for the delay, merged the other one.