Writing Prompts! Get yer writing prompts here!

1 view

Ryan

Jul 9, 2009, 8:59:05 PM7/9/09
to Flash Fiction Fridays
So, this is the first in what will hopefully be an ongoing series of
weekly writing prompts. These will be *completely optional* writing
prompts - if you feel like you need something to get you started, you
can use these, but you should in no way feel obligated to use them.

Anyways. I'm a big music fan, and have been for around as long as I
can remember. One of the things I've always loved about music is
figuring out and analyzing song lyrics (which kind of makes sense,
given the whole "writing" thing I am wont to do). Often, I've found
that the best lyrics are the ones that make absolutely no sense when
you first hear them, but start to provide a deep, profound sense of
understanding the more that you listen to them. Like a Tootsie Pop of
wisdom.

So, our writing prompt for this week stems from a lyric like that:
"Time is a slippery fish now", from the Sam Roberts song "Higher
Learning". Try to include either time, or fish (or both!) in your
story this week.

Ryan

Jul 17, 2009, 10:18:59 AM7/17/09
to Flash Fiction Fridays
This week we have something that's a bit more of a challenge than a
prompt.

Go here: http://www.joshhosler.biz/NumberOneInHistory/SelectMonth.htm
and find out what the number one song on the billboard chart was on
your day of birth. Write a story with the same title (not necessarily
about the song, but just sharing the same title)

oilsdragon

Aug 6, 2009, 1:23:54 PM8/6/09
to Flash Fiction Fridays
Writing prompt for this week: "It was a dark and stormy night."

Make it as campy, ironic, or sincere as you'd like - this one can be a
lot of fun ;)

Ryan

Aug 13, 2009, 9:10:48 PM8/13/09
to Flash Fiction Fridays
This week's prompt is a little ... unique. Borrowed from a blog on
prompts by podcast author Jennifer Hudock at
http://jenniferhudock.com/2009/08/14/the-power-of-prompts-compels-you/

this week's prompt is to use the following in your story:
Main character: A jealous husband
Antagonist: mutant squids
Setting: outer space

Good luck!