Question Regarding Checks Contacts Entities

Vikram Godbole

Jul 25, 2015, 11:08:16 PM7/25/15
to flapjack
Hello All,

I am doing POC for our monitoring setup using Sensu & flapjack.

I want to monitor a bunch of services and send alerts and notifications for individual service owners and as a group. I am not able to wrap my head around contacts, entities and tags.

I want to group a bunch of entities together and alert a group of contacts for the same. My problem is that the entities only show up when some checks fails and flapjack till that point has no idea about these entities (servers)

Here is what i was hoping to achieve.

1. create an entity grouping, that would contain checks from other entites

Entities:
{"id": "prod-service-A","name": "prod-service-A","links": {"contacts": ["contact1","contact2",
],
"checks": []
}
},

2. Then i wanted to see if i can create a bunch of checks (that belong to other entities) and add them to this entity.
using jsonapi, i tried to update the list of checks as follows.

[ {"op" : "add", "path" : "/entities/0/links/contacts", "value" : "tomcat-59184464-2-63219491:check_cpu" },
{"op" : "add", "path" : "/entities/0/links/contacts", "value" : "tomcat-59184464-2-63219491:check_cpu"
},
]

I was hoping the entity would now reference these checks and start sending alerts for these checks.
I notice that although the JSON api responds with a success (STATUS 204) but these checks dont get added to the prod-service-A entity.

I do not want to head the "ALL" way and am hoping there is another way to achieve alert notification by grouping entities and alerts.
Before i head too deep in the woods in the wrong direction, I though I could should ask the group for help.

I would appreciate any help in the right direction.

Thanks,
Vikram