New on bluetabletalk: Bulletproof Vests for Grade School Children?

Diana Bardyn

Dec 21, 2012, 9:18:38 AM12/21/12
to flane...@googlegroups.com

Bulletproof Vests for Grade School Children?

On December 17, 2012
By Diana Robinson-Bardyn | Blog

Will we continue to strive for an elusive security by mandating bulletproof vests for our school children, building higher walls around our schools, more prisons and hoping against all odds that these efforts will eradicate the mal that fuels our fears?

Mon dieu. A young and very emotionally disturbed man, probably suffering from autism. A Bushmaster .223 semi-automatic rifle with a 30 round magazine. Another horrific shooting leaving so many innocent victims, immense grief and bewilderment. And the same questions. Why did this happen? Can we keep it from happening? Can we do anything to make American culture less violent?

Do we need to do something about guns in this country? Did our founding fathers want us to have the means to kill our neighbors and our school children with semi automatic weapons? Is that what the 2nd Amendment is about? Is that what the NRA is defending? An editorial in Le Monde notes that while the NRA lobby tells us that guns don’t kill, people do, we need to remember that, “Les gens désarmés tuent moins.” Yes, unarmed people kill less.