Fw: Did you watch the debate? The next one is in New Smyrna Beach! The Debate on 8, Religious Freedom.

Diana Bardyn

Oct 12, 2012, 9:44:41 AM10/12/12
to flane...@googlegroups.com

Greetings!

Yes, It is debate season! Last night it was Biden/Ryan in Kentucky. And tomorrow it is Altman/Griffin here in New Smryna Beach! For Floridians there are 11 constitutional amendments on the ballot this year that deserve our full attention, and one of them is the so-called 'Religious Freedom' Amendment 8. And tomorrow, Saturday at 10AM, that debate will be held right here in our town at the UCC. You don't want to miss this unique opportunity.

Florida Senator Thad Altman
will be defending this attempt to modify Florida's constitution, and George Griffin, President of the Volusia/Flagler Chapter of the ACLU will be defending Religion that is free from government entanglement.

So if you have not yet SAVED THE DATE, do it now! I'm enclosing the ACLU's latest mailer on this event as well as a link to our Press Release on bluetabletalk, and our flier.

Hope to see you there. We also invite you to join us on the corners of Canal Street and Dixie Fwy shortly after the event. Bring your sign, and show your campaign colors, and demonstrate that democracy is energized and enthusiastic in New Smyrna Beach. YES, NO, RED, BLUE and GREEN -- all colors of this campaign season are welcome. There are four busy corners on Canal and Dixie. Join us at 1PM and bring your colors with you.

Please do us a small favor and share this information with a few people on your mailing list.

Thank you so much and we hope to see you ... Democrats, Republicans, Floridians...Americans!

Diana Bardyn

Click to view Press Release

View our event flier.

Email event notice from the ACLU:
When is "religious freedom" the opposite of that?
This Saturday, join us in New Smyrna for a debate on 8 View online | Forward
ACLU of Florida

You're Invited

Debate on Amendment 8: Religious Freedom?

Free Speech
Debate on Amendment 8: Religious Freedom?
Saturday, October 13
10 to 11 a.m.
United Church of Christ
203 Washington Street
New Smyrna Beach
Dear ACLU supporter,
We've been warning you about how one of the amendments on the Florida ballot this year will remove Florida's constitutional protection against taxpayer funding of religious activities. Amendment 8 -- misleadingly titled the "Religious Freedom" Amendment by supporters -- would open the doors to a taxpayer-funded entitlement for proselytizing.
ACLU of Florida Volusia/Flager Chapter President George Griffin will argue for a "No" vote on Amendment 8 against Florida State Senator Thad Altman, the chief Senate sponsor of the Amendment in the Legislature.
Supporters like Senator Altman want you to believe the Amendment is about religious freedom. In fact, Amendment 8 would entitle any group claiming to be a religious organization to receive state funding, and pit religious groups against each other in competition for limited government funding.
We know that real religious freedom is in fact the opposite of what Amendment 8 would create. Religion can only truly be free when it is free from government entanglement.
For more information or to RSVP, contact George Griffin at georgegr...@yahoo.com.
ACLU of Florida
www.aclufl.org
Square
HELP US PROTECT FREEDOM.
JOIN THE ACLU
Square
Connect with the ACLU:
FacebookBlogTwitterYouTube
We value your privacy. Read our Privacy Statement online.
© ACLU of Florida | www.aclufl.org
4500 Biscayne Blvd., Suite 340, Miami, FL 33137
Logo Small