GOP Declares: No More Critical Thinking!

Nicholas Ruiz III

Jul 7, 2012, 6:56:26 PM7/7/12
to nicholasrui...@intertheory.org

NRIII 2012!

GOP Declares: No More Critical Thinking!

NRIII 2012!"Like" us on Facebook.

video

My dearest friends and allies,

It's quite incredible. Not only is the GOP clamoring to repeal healthcare for millions of Americans by attempting to overturn the Affordable Care Act, and quite set on raising interest rates for student loans - but in a much broader philosophical sweep, they'd like to outlaw critical thinking! Truthout reports: "The Republican Party of Texas has issued their 2012 political platform and has come out and blatantly opposed critical thinking in public schools throughout the state."  In this latest newsflash, the GOP extols the 'virtues' of ignorance and the incapacity to discern, by advocating something we might call 'non-learning':

"We (the GOP) oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student's fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority."

It seems that the GOP would prefer that a student hold immutable 'fixed beliefs' - with no possibility of intellectual growth, through the possibility of new knowledge that may lead to better problem solving skills, and so on. How can such an attitude govern a country? Truly, it cannot. It does not have the capacity to do so in a globalizing, evolving world. Such an anti-intellectualism has no thoughtful understanding of education on any level.

Need we wonder why America faces the problems it does today, with the GOP behind the wheel?

My opponents are some of the worst perpetrators of such injustice, anti-thought and political dysfunction. Help me put them out.

Please contribute what you can now to help me reach more people in this campaign.

And remember, please vote RUIZ on August 14! :-)

nin clip

Please volunteer or contribute a progressive buck now to help NRIII win in 2012 - and work toward keeping a truly Democratic tradition alive in America:

Contribute   Volunteer

Many thanks for your support!

Drop in and ask a question anytime on Reddit!

Nicholas Ruiz III, Ph.D

Nicholas Ruiz III for Congress

http://bit.ly/9UmRVt

PO Box 1372