If you are a programmer could you please complete this survey? thanks

Sasha

Mar 9, 2002, 10:34:45 PM3/9/02
Now it's the 10th March 2002 I need a response on this survey by the 11th
Marh. Thank you.

SDD survey

Attributes of a programmer
(What are the attributes of a programmer?)

1. What communication skills are necessary for a programmer?

2. What leadership skills are required when working in teams?

3. Is it crucial to be able to work in teams?

4. What level of creativity do you need? Is it absolutely necessary to be
creative?

5. How do programmers go about problem-solving? What are the skills
necessary?

6. Is it important to have a great attention to detail? How does this affect
your work?

7. What do you personally think is necessary to be a good programmer? What
are the strengths needed?

Sasha

Mar 9, 2002, 10:35:39 PM3/9/02

Todd Vargo

Mar 10, 2002, 12:29:32 AM3/10/02

"Sasha" <good...@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message

> Now it's the 10th March 2002 I need a response on this survey by the 11th
> Marh. Thank you.
>
> SDD survey
>
> Attributes of a programmer
> (What are the attributes of a programmer?)
>
> 1. What communication skills are necessary for a programmer?

None if you work alone.

> 2. What leadership skills are required when working in teams?

Depends if you are the team leader or not.

> 3. Is it crucial to be able to work in teams?

If you must work on a team, and with a goal to succeed, yes.

> 4. What level of creativity do you need? Is it absolutely necessary to be
> creative?

That depends on your placement in the team.

> 5. How do programmers go about problem-solving? What are the skills
> necessary?

Bit by bit.<g> A programmer needs to be fluent with the programming language
in use.

> 6. Is it important to have a great attention to detail? How does this
affect
> your work?

Lack of attention to details usually leads to defects.

> 7. What do you personally think is necessary to be a good programmer? What
> are the strengths needed?

Ambition! An in-depth understanding of ones own craft is essential in any
field.

(Please post back with my homework results, ASAP!)

--
Todd Vargo (body of message must contain my name to reply by email)

josh

Mar 10, 2002, 4:31:16 AM3/10/02
On Sun, 10 Mar 2002 03:35:39 GMT, "Sasha" <good...@iprimus.com.au> wrote:
> SDD survey
> Attributes of a programmer
> (What are the attributes of a programmer?)
>
> 1. What communication skills are necessary for a programmer?
Nothing special compared to the rest of people <g>. You gotta be able to express
yourself, and do it in a way that others can comprehend. Studying Jacques
Barzun's red book will help, but mostly you gotta be a generally intelligent
person, for which you must read, read, read. "How to read a book" by Adler
contains a great reading list.

> 2. What leadership skills are required when working in teams?

Refer to the US Army manuals on that one. Nothing special for programmers.

> 3. Is it crucial to be able to work in teams?

In most cases, yes. At least if you wanna work professionally.

> 4. What level of creativity do you need?

Depends on your job description and long-term aspirations. The higher the
better.

> Is it absolutely necessary to be creative?

Yes.

> 5. How do programmers go about problem-solving? What are the skills
> necessary?

A capacity to visualize. In general, the same kind as graphics designers, though
you gotta know your area, that is algorithms and data structures. Related
mathematical literature would be helpful to a degree, of the "How to Solve it"
kind.

> 6. Is it important to have a great attention to detail? How does this affect
> your work?

Yes. You'll spend less time debugging <g>.

> 7. What do you personally think is necessary to be a good programmer? What
> are the strengths needed?

Personal motivation, interest in the profession (as anywhere else, actually.)
Visual thinking, as I've mentioned before. Artists and musicians make good
programmers. Mathematicians don't.

Russ Freeman

Mar 10, 2002, 10:03:43 AM3/10/02
"Sasha" <good...@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message
> Now it's the 10th March 2002 I need a response on this survey by the 11th
> Marh. Thank you.
>
> SDD survey
>
> Attributes of a programmer
> (What are the attributes of a programmer?)
>
> 1. What communication skills are necessary for a programmer?

Nothing unusual, USB would be good.

> 2. What leadership skills are required when working in teams?

None, they don't work in teams.

> 3. Is it crucial to be able to work in teams?

No, but it might be useful for mass production.

> 4. What level of creativity do you need?

Me? I just follow the instructions and use the appropriate software.

> Is it absolutely necessary to be creative?

Not for the programmer.

> 5. How do programmers go about problem-solving?

They don't, they just 'program' what theyv'e been told.

> What are the skills necessary?

To be able to implement what they've been told.

> 6. Is it important to have a great attention to detail?

Yes, they must follow my instructions *exactly*.

> How does this affect your work?

It makes the work 'better'.

> 7. What do you personally think is necessary to be a good programmer?

It must be able to 'program'.

> What are the strengths needed?

It must run on mains power and not batteries.

Oh, you mean computer programmer (aka software developer or software
engineer)? I thought you meant EPROM programmer... ;-)

If you ask a programmer a question and get the wrong answer then it's
because you asked the wrong question.

--
russ.
http://www.gipsysoft.com/ - Code, tips and cool stuff!

wolfgang kern

Mar 10, 2002, 12:27:03 PM3/10/02

Todd Vargo anwered "Sasha":

I would have answered all these points as Todd did,
adding for 7) :
a minimum IQ, ability of abstract thinking,
be ready to learn about new hardware and from own faults as well.

wolfgang >(nospace).h a s l m a i r @ n e t w a y . a t<
kesys development
-----

Laurence V

Mar 10, 2002, 2:08:15 PM3/10/02
On Sun, 10 Mar 2002 10:52:32 GMT, "Sasha" <good...@iprimus.com.au>
wrote:

>Now it's the 10th March 2002 I need a response on this survey by the 11th
>Marh. Thank you.

Here's some extra questions for you

8. Do you like pizza cold, in the morning?
9. Do you have your own collection of computer/software books?
10. Do you spend plenty of your spare time programming on your own
projects?
11. Do you hate recruiters treating you like a commodity, or like
furniture?

;-)

L.

Leo Wong

Mar 11, 2002, 5:53:14 PM3/11/02
josh <jo...@xtreme.net> wrote in message news:<1103_1015752676@uwijsf22234hk2>...

> .... Studying Jacques
> Barzun's red book will help....

Will you kindly supply the title of the red book?

Leo Wong
http://www.albany.net/~hello/

josh

Mar 11, 2002, 9:58:29 PM3/11/02
On 11 Mar 2002 14:53:14 -0800, he...@albany.net (Leo Wong) wrote:
> josh <jo...@xtreme.net> wrote in message news:<1103_1015752676@uwijsf22234hk2>...
>
> > .... Studying Jacques
> > Barzun's red book will help....
>
> Will you kindly supply the title of the red book?
Great that you asked, I'll gladly do that: "Simple and Direct: A Rhetoric for
Writers", Jacques Barsun, ISNB 0226038688

Even though the title suggests something academic, the book is very simple, and
-- beside being useful rhetorically -- informative in general, even entertaining.

> Leo Wong
> http://www.albany.net/~hello/

josh

Mar 11, 2002, 10:18:51 PM3/11/02
On 11 Mar 2002 14:53:14 -0800, he...@albany.net (Leo Wong) wrote:
> ...http://www.albany.net/~hello/
A good site, btw.

Leo Wong

Mar 12, 2002, 7:09:40 AM3/12/02
josh <jo...@xtreme.net> wrote in message news:<1103_1015901909@uwijsf22234hk2>...

> On 11 Mar 2002 14:53:14 -0800, he...@albany.net (Leo Wong) wrote:
> > josh <jo...@xtreme.net> wrote in message news:<1103_1015752676@uwijsf22234hk2>...
> >
> > > .... Studying Jacques
> > > Barzun's red book will help....
> >
> > Will you kindly supply the title of the red book?
> Great that you asked, I'll gladly do that: "Simple and Direct: A Rhetoric for
> Writers", Jacques Barsun, ISNB 0226038688

Thanks! My copy's black, and the new (slimmer, like the first)
edition is, I think, yellow.

Leo Wong
http://www.albany.net/~hello/

Russ Freeman

Mar 10, 2002, 7:24:06 PM3/10/02
"Laurence V" <nos...@spam.spam> wrote in message

> On Sun, 10 Mar 2002 10:52:32 GMT, "Sasha" <good...@iprimus.com.au>
> wrote:
>
> >Now it's the 10th March 2002 I need a response on this survey by the 11th
> >Marh. Thank you.
>
> Here's some extra questions for you
>
> 8. Do you like pizza cold, in the morning?

yes.

> 9. Do you have your own collection of computer/software books?

Yes, lots.

> 10. Do you spend plenty of your spare time programming on your own
> projects?

'spare'? <tsk>

Oh all the time, it's why a yawn so much in the day dammit ;-)

> 11. Do you hate recruiters treating you like a commodity, or like
> furniture?

Nah, I like em, I think they are kinda cute.

It's always funny dragging them around, letting them think you'll take the
jobs they have found for you and then saying "actually, I kind of happy
where I am ta!".