Petition Reaches 250,000

Mary Jo Drager

Oct 30, 2003, 12:51:50 AM10/30/03
If you haven't yet signed this petition and sent it on, jump on the
bandwagon now!

http://www.petitiononline.com/bombings/petition.html

Scholars for Peace War Crimes Petition Amasses 250,000
On Way to 1,000,000

For Immediate Release: Contact: Edward S. Beck President Scholars for Peace
in the Midde East www.spme.net 717.576.5038

Howard Marx of California was the 250,000th signer to the Scholars for Peace
in the Middle East Petition www.spme.net to Call for the UN and World
Leaders to Prosecute Organizers of Suicide/Homicide Bombings Against
Civilians as War Criminals at
http://www.petitiononline.com/bombings/petition.html on October 25, 2003.
The Petition which has over 252,000 names as of Monday continues to average
about 1,000 signatures per day and is gaining international attention as
Scholars for Peace in the Middle East seeks to raise 1,000,000 signatures.

" As the world becomes aware that the United Nations, The Red Cross and
other targets other than the United States and Israel are targets it is
becoming clearer to more and more people world wide that terrorists are war
criminals with no regard for humanity or the sacredness of human life...."
explained Dr. Edward S. Beck, President of Scholars for Peace in the Middle
East and author of the petition. " We have been encouraged with the
receptivity to the concept that it is time to hold those who perpetuate and
support suicide bombings accountable as war criminals and put them in the
glass booth as was done with Adolf Eichmann, Slobadan Milosovic and others.
It is time the evidence be placed in front of the court of world opinion for
all to see."

The petition which originally was published earlier this year languished on
the internet and sputtered about the internet collecting about 50,000
signatures. However in August, when the terrorist bombings appeared to be
directed at the UN and non-Israeli and American targets, it became clearer
that no one was safe from terror. Signatures started flooding from Indonesia
and the Philippines and other parts of the world.

"We hope to have the 1,000,000 signatures by the end of the year..." Beck
expressed. "We hope to present the petition to the UN and to World Leaders,
but we know they are aware of it and are watching it closely. It measures
the pulse of people's feelings about these horrific acts."