E-mail security info.

Zatyko

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

The Business Consulting Program in the College of Business at SDSU is
conducting a brief survey dealing with the use of e-mail and e-mail
security. We would like to address a few short questions to someone in
your firm who (a) manages information technology or (b) is influential
in making decisions regarding e-mail usage by the firm. Please forward
this request to someone in your firm who meets either criterion.

The survey itself is very short and is not confidential. We have posted
it on a web page at:

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/home/zatyko/survey/

We are also appending a copy which could be faxed back, if that is more
convenient. If returning by fax, please send to: 619-594-1573

We would like to hear from our industry sample within the next two
weeks. At that time we will post the results at that site or fax a copy
to you if you are interested in the findings.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely,
Prof. Don Sciglimpaglia
San Diego State University

==============================
San Diego State University - E-mail Security Survey

[-- Forward to D. Sciglimpaglia --]

Please respond to each question.

1. In what industry does your firm compete? (Check one.)
__ Accounting
__ Advertising/PR
__ Banking
__ Biotech/Bioscience
__ Law
__ Manufacturing
__ Medical
__ Technology
__ Real Estate/Finance/Insurance
__ Other

2. Number of employees in entire firm? (Check one.)
__ 1-50
__ 50-100
__ 100-250
__ 250-500
__ 500-1000
__ 1000+

3. How much does your company use the Internet for internal
communications? (Circle one.)

Never / Rarely / Sometimes / Frequently / Always

4. How much does your company use the Internet for external
communications?

Never / Rarely / Sometimes / Frequently / Always

5. Which of the following e-mail clients or programs are used?
(Circle all that apply.)

AOL / Compuserve / Prodigy/ Eudora / Microsoft / Netscape /
On-line / Other

6. How important is the issue of e-mail privacy or security at your
firm now? (Circle one.)
Extremely important / Somewhat important / Not important

7. Will important do you think the issue of e-mail privacy or
security will be at your firm in the immediate future?

Extremely important / Somewhat important / Not important

8. What types of information pose security concerns at your firm?
Financial / Personnel / Legal / Operational / Managerial
Planning / Personal communication / Other

9. There are a number of schemes which can be used to implement an e-
mail security. Which of the following security schemes have you
heard of?
DES / Public-private key / Certificates / Signatures /
Public Key / Shared keys / None of these

10. Does the firm currently use any e-mail encryption or security
device? (Circle one.)
Yes / No

If so, what? __________________

11. On this question, we'd like your opinion of possible names of
companies that could possibly be associated with future e-mail
security. The companies may or may not currently have any product
in this industry. With this premise, rate each company as a name
that could be associated with e-mail privacy or security.

To what extent could you possibly associate each name with e-mail
security?
Netscape -
Definitely yes / Possible yes / Definite no / Don't know

Microsoft -
Definitely yes / Possible yes / Definite no / Don't know

Compaq -
Definitely yes / Possible yes / Definite no / Don't know

Master Lock -
Definitely yes / Possible yes / Definite no / Don't know

Pinkerton -
Definitely yes / Possible yes / Definite no / Don't know

Dunbar Armor -
Definitely yes / Possible yes / Definite no / Don't know

ADT -
Definitely yes / Possible yes / Definite no / Don't know

Brinks -
Definitely yes / Possible yes / Definite no / Don't know

Loomis / Fargo -
Definitely yes / Possible yes / Definite no / Don't know

Wells Fargo -
Definitely yes / Possible yes / Definite no / Don't know

Citibank -
Definitely yes / Possible yes / Definite no / Don't know

Bank of America -
Definitely yes / Possible yes / Definite no / Don't know

List any comments regarding e-mail security, encryption, or this survey
here:

Thank you for taking the time to answer the questions in our survey.
Look for the results posted from this web page:

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/home/zatyko/survey/

Or, include your fax number for a summary to be sent via fax: