OH MY GOD!

Message has been deleted

Mike

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
On Sun, 25 Jun 2000 13:38:30 +0100, "Yeah - I know..." <m...@cow.com>
wrote:

>http://www.starbaseone.co.uk/
>I didn't believe it!

What a shitty site

Nigel H

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
That is a really weak advertisement. If you'd like to explain what the site is
about, I _may_ have a look at it, but that sort of spammers mentality won't
do you any justice.

Nigel.

Frank Cohen

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
How many rules can one web site break?! Let me count:

1) "OH MY GOD!" as the subject line doesn't say anything about the site.
It's just an empty come-on.

2) The newsgroup posting is from "m...@cow.com". These folks seem to be a
reputable web site development company in Santa Monica, California. If
you want to complain send email to c...@cow.com.

3) The same posting is made to 8 newsgroups.

4) The site itself appears to be a collection of content provided by
GoTo.com (get paid for searching), AllAdvantage.com (get paid for
surfing), CriticalPath (get paid for using our email)... get the idea?
There's nothing original here.

5) The site uses JavaScript to open new browser windows when you try to
close a window.

6) Most insidious is a new small window that is apparently uncloseable.
It uses a timed JavaScript to randomly open new windows pointed at their
crappy content.

This site deserves special attention - maybe a DOS team should look at
them.

-Frank

--
Frank Cohen, cofounder and chief technology officer, Inclusion Inc.
http://www.inclusion.net, phone 408 374 7426, email fco...@inclusion.net

Inclusion builds permission marketing and knowlege management systems
with its own interactive communication technology.

Come join me and fellow Web community builders on Illuminations at:
http://www.watchmysite.com/illuminations/home.html?rid=R4

David Dorward

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
to Yeah - I know...
"Yeah - I know..." wrote:

> http://www.starbaseone.co.uk/
> I didn't believe it!

Lets see:

(1) The page is just a banner and a counter. That is a waste of peoples
time and bandwidth - they should know what the site is called from the
URL.
(2) The only like goes to some sort of mass advertising search engine
with hundreds of pop ups when you arrive and more then you leave and has
nothing to do with `Starbase One'.

This must be the most annoying piece of spam I have ever seen.

--
David Dorward
http://www.dorward.co.uk/

ff

Jun 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/27/00
>5) The site uses JavaScript to open new browser windows when you try to
>close a window.
>
>6) Most insidious is a new small window that is apparently uncloseable.
>It uses a timed JavaScript to randomly open new windows pointed at their
>crappy content.

personally I've always liked using the webwasher gadget (from
webwasher.com) which sits as a proxy filtering out things like adverts
and javascript popups. This can be a pain when a site needs them but
its easy to disable and reload the page. Its great thought when I look
at dubious bits of the web as I can turn the filters right up and
rarely get trapped by anything.

Stuart Low

Jun 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/30/00
Well I agree with all you guys but the spammer DID succeed in his goal. Now
everyone is talking about it.

--------
I am 16 and STILL people don't listen to me!
www.ausclans.com - The ONLY website for Australian
Clans COMING SOON!
--------

anime_lch