Problem with Xdomain -query

enterpoop.mit.edu!eru.mt.luth.se!lunic!sunic!pipe...@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

Mar 24, 1993, 12:38:42 PM3/24/93

We have been trying to get some Apollo workstations to work as xterm's using
the Xdomain server with the -query option. It works fine on a workstation
running Domain/OS 10.3.5 but will not work on the same machine running
10.4. Has anybody else had this problem or hopefully does anybody have any
suggestions on how to solve it.

This may not be of any relevance but the machine we are trying to talk to
is a HP 730 running HP-UX 8.A.B8.05

Thanks for any help or suggestions,
John Murphy

| John Murphy, | |
| Computer Services, | jo...@vax.sbu.ac.uk |
| South Bank University, | |
| London | |

Thomas J. Gilg

Mar 24, 1993, 9:00:31 PM3/24/93
jo...@vax.sbu.ac.uk wrote:

> ... Xdomain server with the -query option. ... 10.3.5 but will not work

> on the same machine running 10.4.

> This may not be of any relevance but the machine we are trying to talk to
> is a HP 730 running HP-UX 8.A.B8.05

A problem sometime during HP-UX 8.* was: when an Xserver communicates
with xdm or vuelogin, it sends along a list of ways it (the Xserver)
can be contacted. It usually responds with something like:

local:0.0
tcphostname:0.0

Of course in the case where the connection is remote, xdm or vuelogin
should utilize the tcphostname:0.0 connection, but some versions of
vuelogin simply took the first entry in the connection list and tried
to start up on "local:0.0" - wrong. The newer versions of vuelogin
are smarter, and I believe our newer Xservers swap the connection list
around just in case.

To see if this is your problem: start an Xserver on the HP-UX machine.
Then from Domain, do `Xdomain -query <the HP-UX machine>`. You would
expect vuelogin to come up on the Domain Xserver, but it might pop up
on the HP-UX Xserver.

Thomas Gilg
to...@cv.hp.com