Listen to the Prompting of the Spirit

Rev Gerry Moore Jr. PhD

Sep 1, 2009, 1:26:14 PM9/1/09

        Romans 7:6) But now we are discharged from the
Law and have terminated all intercoursewith it, having died to what once
restrained and held us captive. So now we serve not under [obedience to]
the old code of written regulations, but [under obedience to the
promptings] of the Spirit in newness [of life]. ~AMP~
        According to this passage, we are no longer
under the restraints of the law but now serve the Lord under obedience
to the promptings of the Holy Spirit. A prompting is a "knowing" down on
the inside of you telling you what to do. First Kings 19:11–12
describes the "still, small voice" the Lord used with Elijah: "And
behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the
mountains and broke in pieces the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord,
but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but
the Lord was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but
the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire [a sound of gentle
stillness and] a still, small voice."
        A prompting from the Lord is not like hitting
someone over the head with a hammmer to prompt them to do something!
This Lord did not use the great and strong wind, the eartquake, or the
fire as a prompting but instead came as "a sound of gentle stillness"
and "a still, small voice."
        The prompting of "a still, small voice" is not
necessarily a voice; it can be God's wisdom giving you direction in that
moment. First Corinthians 1:30 tells us, "But it is from Him that you
have your life in Christ Jesus, Whom God made our Wisdom from God." If
we are born again, Jesus is living inside us. If He is inside us, we
have God's wisdom in us to draw on at any moment! But unless we listen
to wisdom, it won't do us any good.