Why chocolate banned but anko ok?

MatthewOutland

Feb 24, 2003, 10:14:02 AM2/24/03
I was watching a show called "strange cultural differences" on the
food channel that says japanese do not like chocolate or Boston baked
beans because they are sweetened, and the idea of a sweet bean is
alien to the japanese mind.

However,

Anko is a japanese dish made from sweetened bean. Is this typical
japanese ethnocentricity?

Curt Fischer

Feb 24, 2003, 10:16:43 AM2/24/03
MatthewOutland wrote:
> I was watching a show called "strange cultural differences" on the
> food channel that says japanese do not like chocolate or Boston baked
> beans because they are sweetened, and the idea of a sweet bean is
> alien to the japanese mind.

Ssshhhhhh. It might hear you talking about, here.

--
Curt Fischer

mtfe...@netscape.net

Feb 24, 2003, 10:22:13 AM2/24/03
MatthewOutland <moutla...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I was watching a show called "strange cultural differences" on the
> food channel that says japanese do not like chocolate or Boston baked
> beans because they are sweetened, and the idea of a sweet bean is
> alien to the japanese mind.

> Anko is a japanese dish made from sweetened bean. Is this typical
> japanese ethnocentricity?

Azuki?

Mike

Brett Robson

Feb 24, 2003, 10:29:40 AM2/24/03
On 24 Feb 2003 07:14:02 -0800, moutla...@yahoo.com digitally tapped ...

>I was watching a show called "strange cultural differences" on the
>food channel that says japanese do not like chocolate or Boston baked
>beans because they are sweetened, and the idea of a sweet bean is
>alien to the japanese mind.

Japanese don't like chocolate?

Declan send that omiyage back!!!!

.

---

"No Mr President, Iran with an 'n'"

Declan Murphy

Feb 24, 2003, 10:55:40 AM2/24/03
Brett Robson wrote:
> On 24 Feb 2003 07:14:02 -0800, moutla...@yahoo.com digitally tapped ...
>
>>I was watching a show called "strange cultural differences" on the
>>food channel that says japanese do not like chocolate or Boston baked
>>beans because they are sweetened, and the idea of a sweet bean is
>>alien to the japanese mind.
>
> Japanese don't like chocolate?
>
> Declan send that omiyage back!!!!

Um. I was about to give it to her and tell her about how it was from
you, how much time you spent in the shop agonizing over the perfect
choice, how you are always talking about her, how much you really like
her etc etc etc,

but I was a bit hungry at the time and.....

Kevin Gowen

Feb 24, 2003, 11:48:52 AM2/24/03

Try passing her a note asking her to meet Brett by the slide during
recess. Use Mark N. as the courier.

>but I was a bit hungry at the time and.....

- Kevin

Kaz

Feb 24, 2003, 12:43:08 PM2/24/03
"MatthewOutland" <moutla...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:45f801fd.03022...@posting.google.com...

> I was watching a show called "strange cultural differences" on the
> food channel that says japanese do not like chocolate or Boston baked
> beans because they are sweetened, and the idea of a sweet bean is
> alien to the japanese mind.
>

> However,

> Anko is a japanese dish made from sweetened bean. Is this typical
> japanese ethnocentricity?

The people who dislike Japanese sweetened beans Anko and who have the
idea of sweeten beans is alien are the Gaijins. And perhaps, 90% of
Japanese like chocolates and 99.99% of Japanese don't know what Boston
Baked Beans is like. Of course they'd never tasted it.

Kaz

Feb 24, 2003, 12:48:48 PM2/24/03
"Curt Fischer" <cr...@po.cwru.edu> wrote in message news:b3dd0o$eje$1...@eeyore.INS.cwru.edu...

> MatthewOutland wrote:
> > I was watching a show called "strange cultural differences" on the
> > food channel that says japanese do not like chocolate or Boston baked
> > beans because they are sweetened, and the idea of a sweet bean is
> > alien to the japanese mind.
>
> Ssshhhhhh. It might hear you talking about, here.
>
> --
> Curt Fischer

Are you the CIA man?

Curt Fischer

Feb 24, 2003, 1:11:44 PM2/24/03

They gave me a job offer once, but I Never Took That Job.

--
Curt Fischer

Kaz

Feb 24, 2003, 3:58:57 PM2/24/03
"Kaz" <k...@ivebeenframed.com> wrote in message news:365fcc52.03022...@posting.google.com...

> "MatthewOutland" <moutla...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:45f801fd.03022...@posting.google.com...

> The people who dislike Japanese sweetened beans Anko and who have the

> idea of sweetening beans is alien are the Gaijins. And perhaps, 90% of

> Japanese like chocolates and 99.99% of Japanese don't know what Boston
> Baked Beans is like. Of course they'd never tasted it.

BTW, I wonder why those pseudo-Western Japanese women don't give Anko
to men instead of chocolates on the Barentain dei(St. Valentine's
day).

I found some recipes of Boston baked beans but I still wonder whether
it's a candy or a dish. If it's a candy, I think salt pork inside the
sweet beans would be alien to most Japanese's minds, honestly.

Brett Robson

Feb 25, 2003, 4:41:28 AM2/25/03

That is more appropriate than you realise.

> Use Mark N. as the courier.

???

.

Kaz

Feb 24, 2003, 10:52:09 PM2/24/03
"Curt Fischer" <cr...@po.cwru.edu> wrote in message news:<b3dn8t$1jo$1...@eeyore.INS.cwru.edu>...

They appreciated your aptitude for being like 007 by watching Usenet?

obakesan

Feb 25, 2003, 1:49:10 AM2/25/03
HiYa

and true to form, you'd never know that without looking at the Kanji, nor know
that SHO - MAME would be pronounced (or read) that way.

thanks for the name

See Ya
(when bandwidth gets better ;-)

Chris Eastwood
Photographer, Programmer
Motorcyclist and dingbat

please remove undies for reply

aladdinsane

Mar 3, 2003, 4:21:04 AM3/3/03
My BYJGF loves anko but thinks that American chocolate, candy,
cakes, and cookies are too sweet. I loathe anko. I hate that and umeboshi
so much that I couldn't swallow either even to just be polite if someone
offered it to me. Bleah!

Kaz

Mar 3, 2003, 6:11:24 AM3/3/03
k...@ivebeenframed.com (Kaz) wrote in message news:<365fcc52.03022...@posting.google.com>...

> "Kaz" <k...@ivebeenframed.com> wrote in message news:365fcc52.03022...@posting.google.com...
> > "MatthewOutland" <moutla...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:45f801fd.03022...@posting.google.com...
> > > I was watching a show called "strange cultural differences" on the
> > > food channel that says japanese do not like chocolate or Boston baked
> > > beans because they are sweetened, and the idea of a sweet bean is
> > > alien to the japanese mind.

> I found some recipes of Boston baked beans but I still wonder whether

> it's a candy or a dish. If it's a candy, I think salt pork inside the
> sweet beans would be alien to most Japanese's minds, honestly.

Ummmm. No one would explain how the Boston baked beans is like for me,
the one who is non-Westernized, non-Honorary-White gook, and then not
allowed to enter into America for going to Boston to check how it is
like...

Good food is good. Foods are just universal things. Even the
non-Westernized, the non-Honorary-White Anko-eating Kansai Japanese
who is misconceived as an Osakan yakuza is interested in such Boston
style roast beef sandwich with horseradish sauce(I won't call it as
"Western Wasabi" anymore because some Western supremacist really hates
its being called as a Western version of Asian stuff, but it's surely
called as "Seiyou Wasabi" in Japanese language), Boston clam chowder,
raw Kaki(oyster) with the horseradish and ketchup sauce, etc., etc..

I remember that one of the "Arby's" fast food eatery used to be
located in the front of American consulate in Midosuji, Osaka, but not
anymore.

Someone is claiming that all those Japanese are silly mimicing
chimpanzees who want to be Whites, but America itself is the super
racist's country that only admits those "Honorary White" mimicing
chimpanzees to enter its White men's land, just like South Africa
does. They will shoot all those non-Westernized Enka-loving Kinai type
Japanese, labelling as Osakan yakuza, or dumb Asian gooks. Isn't that
a big contradiction, Matt?

Kaz
http://osaka.cool.ne.jp/loudie/ama2.htm

Curt Fischer

Mar 3, 2003, 7:03:38 AM3/3/03
aladdinsane wrote:
> My BYJGF loves anko but thinks that American chocolate, candy,
> cakes, and cookies are too sweet. I loathe anko. I hate that and
> umeboshi so much that I couldn't swallow either even to just be
> polite if someone offered it to me. Bleah!

BYJGF? Do you like to hang out in Shinjuku 2-choume? I

--
Curt Fischer

aladdinsane

Mar 4, 2003, 6:21:40 AM3/4/03
GF=girlfriend. What did you think it meant?

Curt Fischer wrote:

GF=girlfriend. What did you think it meant?

Curt Fischer

Mar 4, 2003, 10:18:28 AM3/4/03

I must say, I haven't seen someone go for the sandwhich posting
technique before, but I like it. Anyway, "girlfriend" is what you're
calling them these days?

--
Curt Fischer