Nobody here? No traffic? WTF?

-- o s g o -- >

May 20, 2015, 4:42:03 PM5/20/15
WTF? I travel the planet, go fight in wars, have phun with people's
servers...for about 9-10 years or so...come back...and nobody posts
here anymore?

They still hand out tissue at the stations and I still get hardc0re
p0rn (blindfolds this time!) in my snail-mailbox and left on my
door...so things haven't changed *that* much...

Albeit the cough medicine isn't quite what it was...

-osgo-

CL

May 24, 2015, 10:19:27 AM5/24/15
On 05/21/2015 05:28 AM, -- o s g o -- <os...@panties.hotmail.com wrote:

> Albeit the cough medicine isn't quite what it was...

I hear ya'. I miss "Bron" cough medicine. That, and 720ml of 30 degree
shochu could turn the evolution clock back about 27 million years for
half a day ... pointing and grunting; picking grubs out of logs with a
stick before six hours of nasty monkey sex then falling asleep face down
under the kotatsu and getting blisters on your bare ass.

--
CL

John W.

May 28, 2015, 7:36:41 AM5/28/15
We all ran off and joined a cult. Then Mike Cash had a weird thing happened to his leg, and we realized he wasn't the reincarnation of Ryoonin after all. He just liked to talk a lot. It all fell apart after that.

John W.

Kurt Kraut

May 31, 2015, 5:57:11 PM5/31/15
Haha, I hear ya - I joined this list ca. 1997 and the number of posts has gone down since then. However, in Japan some things never change. Could I get a pack of those thin tissues please...?

mtfe...@netmapsonscape.net

Jun 11, 2015, 12:21:07 AM6/11/15
Kurt Kraut <kper...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Haha, I hear ya - I joined this list ca. 1997 and the number of posts has gone down since then. However, in Japan some things never change. Could I get a pack of those thin tissues please...?

Ooooh. The ones with the Tokyo subway maps?

I want one, too.

Mike

Shannon Jacobs

Aug 25, 2015, 1:01:28 AM8/25/15
On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 6:57:11 AM UTC+9, Kurt Kraut wrote:
> Haha, I hear ya - I joined this list ca. 1997 and the number of posts has gone down since then. However, in Japan some things never change. Could I get a pack of those thin tissues please...?

Hmm... I was also here about that time, probably '93 or so. I may have been here earlier, perhaps even back in the '80s before I moved to Japan. There was usenet? Something with UUCP? Then maybe deja-vu that became deja-news that became deja that became bankrupt. Then a gap and the google bought the tapes, and I was here through most of it. (Well, not specifically here, but in the newsgroups from time to time.)

Then the google gave me the death penalty, probably around 2005.

About two months ago, I suddenly undied. Maybe the google finally killed the newsgroups, but they'll never kill COBOL! Not sure if I could claim to have been an interesting poster (though I just had an editors' pick and #1 comment of the day on NYT), but I can sure see how nuking the interesting posters could hurt the discussions...

What did I do wrong? Why was I killed? No idea. The google never answered, but in the last few years before I undied, the queries produced a bounce message about my case being under review, or some such BS.

P.S. What reminded me of flij was a slj topic, but I actually undied and reappeared in the newsgroups a few months ago.

Jim Breen

Aug 25, 2015, 4:15:05 AM8/25/15
On Tuesday, 25 August 2015 15:01:28 UTC+10, Shannon Jacobs wrote:

> P.S. What reminded me of flij was a slj topic, but I actually undied and reappeared in the newsgroups a few months ago.

I dropped out of flij some years back when I gave up on using an
NNTP reader. Shannon has reminded me of it, and I find it's still
going (sort-of).

I remember when it was a useful and interesting group. I also
remember when I was living in Tokyo in 2000/2001 there was a flij
get-together, with a couple of outings and meals.

Jim

CL

Aug 25, 2015, 4:36:19 AM8/25/15
On 08/25/2015 05:15 PM, Jim Breen wrote:
> On Tuesday, 25 August 2015 15:01:28 UTC+10, Shannon Jacobs wrote:
>
>> P.S. What reminded me of flij was a slj topic, but I actually undied and reappeared in the newsgroups a few months ago.

What is slj? Can it be cured with basic antibiotics or a steroid cream?

> I dropped out of flij some years back when I gave up on using an
> NNTP reader. Shannon has reminded me of it, and I find it's still
> going (sort-of).

Yeah. Going for extremely low values of "going." But, we're all older
and my doctor tells me that "going" problems are usually prostate related.

> I remember when it was a useful and interesting group. I also
> remember when I was living in Tokyo in 2000/2001 there was a flij
> get-together, with a couple of outings and meals.

Nearly everyone moved away. You could offer to arrange a reunion tour.
It worked for Bon Jovi and a few other bands.

--
CL

John W.

Aug 31, 2015, 8:48:31 PM8/31/15
On Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 4:36:19 AM UTC-4, CL wrote:

> Nearly everyone moved away. You could offer to arrange a reunion tour.
> It worked for Bon Jovi and a few other bands.

Nowadays the kids all use Snapchat and other such things to keep in touch. It was so much more fun to fight and argue on usenet/dejanews; gives my biographers more to dig up.

John W.

mtfe...@netmapsonscape.net

Sep 4, 2015, 10:18:34 PM9/4/15
D*mn kids...

Mike

jacob...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2015, 12:23:06 PM9/17/15
Wow! A reunion thread! I was Wandering Jacob in those days 2000-2003ish and always promoted my actinjapan website selling contact info and maps to the gaijin talento agenecies (since made free, and then abandoned) and my wanderingjacob site (also abandoned after marriage). Good to see most everyone representing here. I guess like me most people moved away or got other interests. But sure is great to have lots of stories! My wife constantly rolls her eyes when I start out "When I lived in Japan...."

mtfe...@netmapsonscape.net

Sep 17, 2015, 10:35:09 PM9/17/15
My daughters roll their eyes when I say this; mostly because it's (Tokyo)
gotten a lot cooler to live in, and they hate hearing about the "old days".

Mike

jacob...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2015, 11:57:44 AM9/18/15
Really? That's interesting and great to hear. My daughter (13 yo) has been begging to go there. In what ways has it gotten cooler?

Best,
Jake

mtfe...@netmapsonscape.net

Sep 29, 2015, 11:46:02 PM9/29/15
More 20-something things going on, the city is a bit cleaner, more sky-
scrapers (which gives it more of a city vibe) Odaiba was basically seaside
20 years ago, etc.

Mike

Jacob Fruehling

Sep 30, 2015, 12:35:03 PM9/30/15
On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 8:46:02 PM UTC-7, mtfe...@netmapsonscape.net wrote:
> j:
Well, I'm actually very glad to hear that. Maybe I'll take her to see Japan in a few years. Thanks!

Jake

mtfe...@netmapsonscape.net

Oct 2, 2015, 11:59:39 PM10/2/15
Jacob Fruehling <jacob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 8:46:02 PM UTC-7, mtfe...@netmapsonscape.net wrote:
> > j:

> > > Really? That's interesting and great to hear. My daughter (13 yo)
> > > has been begging to go there. In what ways has it gotten cooler?
> >
> > More 20-something things going on, the city is a bit cleaner, more sky-
> > scrapers (which gives it more of a city vibe) Odaiba was basically seaside
> > 20 years ago, etc.
> >
> > Mike

> Well, I'm actually very glad to hear that. Maybe I'll take her to see Japan in a few years. Thanks!

She'll love Shibuya. And Shinjuku. And pretty much everywhere.

Mike

Jacob Fruehling

Oct 5, 2015, 12:09:06 PM10/5/15
On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 8:59:39 PM UTC-7, mtfe...@netmapsonscape.net wrote:
:-) I think it'll be surreal to me. Sounds like I won't recognize the place. And I'm going to eat everything. There will be no food left in Tokyo

John W.

Oct 14, 2015, 12:50:46 PM10/14/15
On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 12:09:06 PM UTC-4, Jacob Fruehling wrote:

> :-) I think it'll be surreal to me. Sounds like I won't recognize the
> place. And I'm going to eat everything. There will be no food left in Tokyo

The beauty of Tokyo is that the nature of Japanese society has changed so dramatically; childless families are more and more then norm, so there are trendy restaurants/cafes/etc. catering to that population. And I'm not sure if it's part of that or not, but there has always been a fascination in Japan for things the "West" considers "young" or "childish" (manga, anime, etc.). There are places in Japan that are like walking in a real-world Comicon. And it's becoming more hipster-ish, too.

John W.

Jacob Fruehling

Oct 21, 2015, 7:42:45 PM10/21/15
I'm really looking forward to see it again. I took my wife there about 10 years ago. It was great to see some of the old haunts again. It hadn't changed enough yet to surprise me. I can't wait to see it now with all the changes!

mtfe...@netmapsonscape.net

Oct 24, 2015, 2:21:30 PM10/24/15
Ginza hasn't changed, 'cept that it's trendy again. What surprised me was
how much Ebisu had come up in the world. Oh, and you can get some seriously
good pizza now

Mike

John W.

Oct 25, 2015, 8:40:34 AM10/25/15
Evidently the craft beer world, too, has really come along in the past year or so. I assume it's all controlled by Asahi or Coca Cola or some other zaibatsu, but as long as it tastes good, I am not too concerned.

The city that has changed the most, to me, is Kobe. The twenty years since the earthquake has seen some incredible development. Not sure if I like it or not, but there are sky scrapers where before there were just mom-and-pop stores.

John W.

Jacob Fruehling

Oct 28, 2015, 2:43:58 PM10/28/15
On Saturday, October 24, 2015 at 11:21:30 AM UTC-7, mtfe...@netmapsonscape.net wrote:>
> Ginza hasn't changed, 'cept that it's trendy again. What surprised me was
> how much Ebisu had come up in the world. Oh, and you can get some seriously
> good pizza now
>
> Mike

I'm very interested in seeing Ebisu. And very shocked about pizza. You mean I don't have to get the corn and mayo pizza? I remember after a long night out, I brought some visiting friends to Family Mart for a pizza-man. They were not pleased with the "secret corn" inside that.

mtfe...@netmapsonscape.net

Oct 31, 2015, 12:56:41 AM10/31/15
John W. <worth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, October 24, 2015 at 2:21:30 PM UTC-4, mtfe...@netmapsonscape.net wrote:
> >
> > Ginza hasn't changed, 'cept that it's trendy again. What surprised me was
> > how much Ebisu had come up in the world. Oh, and you can get some seriously
> > good pizza now
> >
> > Mike

> Evidently the craft beer world, too, has really come along in the past year or so. I assume it's all controlled by Asahi or Coca Cola or some other zaibatsu, but as long as it tastes good, I am not too concerned.

They've had some good "ji-biru" for a bit; Coralhaus made a decent porter
in the late 90s. But there does seem to be a lot more.

> The city that has changed the most, to me, is Kobe. The twenty years since the earthquake has seen some incredible development. Not sure if I like it or not, but there are sky scrapers where before there were just mom-and-pop stores.

Yeah; welcome to the new Japan. ON the bright side, more countryside for the
foreseeable future.

Mike

mtfe...@netmapsonscape.net

Oct 31, 2015, 12:59:28 AM10/31/15
Jacob Fruehling <jacob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, October 24, 2015 at 11:21:30 AM UTC-7, mtfe...@netmapsonscape.net wrote:>
> > Ginza hasn't changed, 'cept that it's trendy again. What surprised me was
> > how much Ebisu had come up in the world. Oh, and you can get some seriously
> > good pizza now
> >
> > Mike

> I'm very interested in seeing Ebisu. And very shocked about pizza.
> You mean I don't have to get the corn and mayo pizza? I remember after

Or that hideous salty-fish stuff.

> a long night out, I brought some visiting friends to Family Mart for
> a pizza-man. They were not pleased with the "secret corn" inside that.

Yep; real wood-burning stoves sometimes. Actual pepparoni, too, sometimes.

Mike

alc...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2016, 3:25:58 AM1/12/16
Hi Osgo. Yes nobody is here.

I would be here more often though if someone could suggest which of the thousands of "whiskey bars" in the Tokyo area has the best selection of aged single malts. I'm OK for Kyoto, Nagoya, and Sapporo. Tokyo has me a bit stumped.

Declan

John W.

Jan 20, 2016, 3:58:49 PM1/20/16
On Tuesday, January 12, 2016 at 3:25:58 AM UTC-5, alc...@gmail.com wrote:
> I would be here more often though if someone could suggest which of the thousands of "whiskey bars" in the Tokyo area has the best selection of aged single malts. I'm OK for Kyoto, Nagoya, and Sapporo. Tokyo has me a bit stumped.

Seems like a fun problem to have. Maybe the next time I'm thattaway I'll see how successful you've been.

John W.

Kurt Kraut

Apr 21, 2016, 3:16:37 AM4/21/16
Jim Breen of Monash Uni of jdic fame? If so I used to use your site a lot some years ago!!!