Why Anko is banned but Chocolates is ok?

Kaz

Nov 15, 2002, 11:35:43 PM11/15/02
About a year ago or so, I was watching "Koko ga hen dayo Nihonjin"
then I heard that foreign people extremely dislike "Anko", and they
were blaming like it's unbelievable, disgusting, savage, crazy to eat
sweetened beans. Beans must not be sweet in the civilized human's
eating habits....something like that.

But I suppose it's a quite contradiction that chocolates are also made
out of beans. It is surely made from Cacao beans. And the chocolates
are surely sweet although some of them are bitter.

One day I brought some of those Anko Sweets to an American person
working together with me but he had got really unpleasant face and he
said like "I won't have such a disgusting piece of shit....stuff like
that". I really have no idea why they really hate that stuff.

Ryan Ginstrom

Nov 15, 2002, 11:59:25 PM11/15/02

"Kaz" <k...@ivebeenframed.com> wrote in message

> One day I brought some of those Anko Sweets to an American person
> working together with me but he had got really unpleasant face and he
> said like "I won't have such a disgusting piece of shit....stuff like
> that". I really have no idea why they really hate that stuff.

Don't try to scrutinize us. We are inscrutable.

--
Regards,
Ryan Ginstrom

Michael Cash

Nov 16, 2002, 1:38:09 AM11/16/02
On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 13:59:25 +0900, "Ryan Ginstrom"
<gins...@hotmail.com> bellowed:

Scrute you, buddy.

--

Michael Cash

"Would you please tell the women in Japan that the only thing that doesn't
look slutty in a leopard skin print is a leopard?"

Prof. Briscoe Darling
Mount Pilot College

http://www.sunfield.ne.jp/~mike/
http://www.oldies.jp

obakesan

Nov 16, 2002, 2:34:50 AM11/16/02
HiYa

In article <rtpbtuk4utqb313ua...@4ax.com>, some kind human wrote:
>On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 13:59:25 +0900, "Ryan Ginstrom"
><gins...@hotmail.com> bellowed:
>

>>"Kaz" <k...@ivebeenframed.com> wrote in message
>>> One day I brought some of those Anko Sweets to an American person
>>> working together with me but he had got really unpleasant face and he
>>> said like "I won't have such a disgusting piece of shit....stuff like
>>> that". I really have no idea why they really hate that stuff.
>>
>>Don't try to scrutinize us. We are inscrutable.
>
>Scrute you, buddy.

and here's me been spelling it "scrotum" all this time

say, christmas is getting close, maybe I should snick off a few when I'm back in
Oz?

http://exotic.hypermart.net/scrotum_shop/

might be a dickbag to hang off?

See Ya

--
(when bandwidth gets better ;-)

Chris Eastwood
Photographer, Programmer, Motorcyclist and dingbat

please remove u n d i e s for reply

Kaz

Nov 16, 2002, 6:02:01 AM11/16/02
"Ryan Ginstrom" <gins...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ar4jbh$ffr4m$1...@ID-101276.news.dfncis.de>...

Sorry but it's a serious issue for us since those Tokyo or Kobe type
"Honorary Whites" folks always label Kinai type persons who eat
Japanese Anko sweets as 90 year-old racists. Like the girl who was
told by Matt.
We have a lot of western(mostly French style) confectioneries but we
still like those Ohban-Yaki stuffs too.
Those bigoted pseudo-westerners even label any Kinai person who eats
Anko as Yakuza.
Sometimes they even label a Kinai person who always uses chopsticks as
a Yakuza so I've got to be serious about it.

Michael Cash

Nov 16, 2002, 7:12:43 AM11/16/02
On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 07:34:50 GMT, cjundie...@powerup.com.au
(obakesan) bellowed:

>HiYa
>
>In article <rtpbtuk4utqb313ua...@4ax.com>, some kind human wrote:
>>On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 13:59:25 +0900, "Ryan Ginstrom"
>><gins...@hotmail.com> bellowed:
>>

>>>"Kaz" <k...@ivebeenframed.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>>Don't try to scrutinize us. We are inscrutable.
>>
>>Scrute you, buddy.
>>

>and here's me been spelling it "scrotum" all this time
>
>say, christmas is getting close, maybe I should snick off a few when I'm back in
>Oz?
>
>http://exotic.hypermart.net/scrotum_shop/

Judging by the English, it would seem that Oz is quite the land of
opportunity for enterprising immigrants.

This is quite a way to bestow immortality on a kangaroo....or at least
a portion of him, anyway. I'd hate to be the roo who laid down his
life so his nutsack could end up as a factory second, deeply
discounted while supplies last.

>might be a dickbag to hang off?

You wouldn't believe the amount of merriment I have singing along with
my mp3s and substituting the words "swing" and "dickbag" into the
songs.

Ken

Nov 16, 2002, 11:16:29 AM11/16/02
Kaz wrote:

> "Ryan Ginstrom" <gins...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Don't try to scrutinize us. We are inscrutable.
>

> Sorry of but of it's of a of serious of issue of for of us of since
> of those of Tokyo or of Kobe of type of "Honorary Whites" of folks
> of always of label of Kinai of type of persons of who of eat of
> Japanese of Anko of sweets of as of 90 of year-old of racists.
> Like of the of girl of who of was of told of by of Matt.
> We of have of a lot of western (of mostly of French of style) of
> confectioneries of but of we of still of like of those of Ohban-Yaki
> of stuffs of too.
> Those of bigoted of pseudo-westerners of even of label of any of
> Kinai of person of who of eats of Anko of as of Yakuza.
> Sometimes of they of even of label of Kinai of person of who of
> always of uses of chopsticks of as of Yakuza of so of I've of
> got of to of be of serious of about of it of Tokyo-Japs.

I corrected your stylistic inconsistency for you.

Kevin Gowen

Nov 16, 2002, 11:37:01 AM11/16/02

Isn't it the other way around? Or maybe not. I can't even scrut myself,
because I'm Catholic.

> --
> Regards,
> Ryan Ginstrom

- Kevin

John W.

Nov 16, 2002, 1:20:34 PM11/16/02
k...@ivebeenframed.com (Kaz) wrote in message news:<365fcc52.0211...@posting.google.com>...

Sometimes I think you are victim to the malady that affects most
Japanese I've met. You don't understand the over emotion of
foreigners. To you it's extreme, calling you a savage, etc., but to us
it's just a normal reaction. Nothing offensive, nothing severe. Our
reactions are just big. You read too much into things.

John W.

Brett Robson

Nov 16, 2002, 1:16:50 PM11/16/02
On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 21:12:43 +0900, Michael tapped desperatedly at the keyboard

>This is quite a way to bestow immortality on a kangaroo....or at least
>a portion of him, anyway. I'd hate to be the roo who laid down his
>life so his nutsack could end up as a factory second, deeply
>discounted while supplies last.

"Hi Michael, I was happy with my kangaroo pouch. This one is going to my
mother-in-law. I may order more later on. Regards, Kevin"

--
from the Linux manual pages:
NAME false - do nothing, unsuccessfully

Hokousha

Nov 16, 2002, 8:05:22 PM11/16/02
k...@ivebeenframed.com (Kaz) wrote in message news:<365fcc52.02111...@posting.google.com>...

> One day I brought some of those Anko Sweets to an American person
> working together with me but he had got really unpleasant face and he
> said like "I won't have such a disgusting piece of shit....stuff like
> that". I really have no idea why they really hate that stuff.

They, us, they, us. Actually I like anko, but I prefer it a bit
sweeter, I think, than most Japanese do. More like what you get in
Chinese yuebing. This time of year we used to have doushaobao every
morning for breakfast in Nanjing. Yum. Nothing better with a cold
glass of milk.

Natto, on the other hand, is clearly disgusting, savage, and inhumane.
A tragic waste of good soybeans. Or even bad soybeans. A group here is
thinking of starting an organization to promote daizu liberation.
Please send money. Later on we'll be staging an intervention where we
try to free captive beans from a natto factory. If only the little
guys could run...

Tim

Jun Miyamoto

Nov 16, 2002, 8:17:13 PM11/16/02

In the Japanese bean paste, the skin of the bean is visible
like the hardshells of shellfish? That may be the source of
disgust. If the skin is not visible, it looks(and tastes) like
just like any other fruit paste used for western baking(date
filling is a good example).

In the USA many people regardless of their etchnicity like
the Chinese sweet rice cake coated with sesame seeds. This
has the bean paste inside but they may or may not use the Japanese
azki bean. In any case any culture has cuisine that seems
disgusting to people outside and even to insiders.

The Japanese may love shellfish like shrimp and crabs or oysters
but these are the most disgusting things I could ever eat and
I don't think I am the only Japanese who feels this way.

In article <365fcc52.02111...@posting.google.com>,

Greg Macdonald

Nov 16, 2002, 9:47:54 PM11/16/02
On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 01:17:13 +0000 (UTC), Jun Miyamoto
<miya...@physics.purdue.edu> spake:

>In the Japanese bean paste, the skin of the bean is visible
>like the hardshells of shellfish? That may be the source of
>disgust. If the skin is not visible, it looks(and tastes) like
>just like any other fruit paste used for western baking(date
>filling is a good example).

The texture and appearance of bean paste never affected me in the
slightest-- I just couldn't stand the taste. And I totally disagree
that it taste likes 'any other fruit paste'. I could be an exception,
I dunno.

Kaz

Nov 16, 2002, 11:23:07 PM11/16/02
worth...@yahoo.com (John W.) wrote in message news:<73fde4f0.02111...@posting.google.com>...

Surely it's extreme to me. I really don't like foreigners and those
"Honorary Whites" folks labeling me and other un-westernized Japanese
as savage, Yakuza, uncivilized, cheater, spy, terrorists, etc. How do
you feel if you were the one? I mean how do you feel if you were in
the same situation that people are reviling at you just because you
follow the ordinary traditional culture and habits of your own
country.

> but to us
> it's just a normal reaction. Nothing offensive, nothing severe. Our
> reactions are just big. You read too much into things.

Those over reactions of foreigners don't matter to me at all, but the
infection to those "wanna-be westerner", the "Honorary Whites"
Japanese is the serious issue because they always try to imitate what
the Westeners do, and they always start to bully and discriminate
against people who were disliked by the Westerners. Believe it or not,
the one of the reasons why Osakans have been discriminated by most
Japanese is because foreigners hate it. And that reason was also the
one of motivations to stand as a candidate for the Olympic games of
2008. But it already failed though.

MatthewOutland

Nov 16, 2002, 11:36:45 PM11/16/02
Kevin Gowen <kgowen...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:<3DD6742D...@myrealbox.com>...

I think you can as long as you use contraceptives

MatthewOutland

Nov 16, 2002, 11:37:15 PM11/16/02
mean don't use contraceptives

obakesan

Nov 17, 2002, 12:07:22 AM11/17/02
HiYa

In article <67aee454.02111...@posting.google.com>, some kind human
wrote:

>Chinese yuebing. This time of year we used to have doushaobao every

>morning for breakfast in Nanjing. Yum. Nothing better with a cold
>glass of milk.
>
>Natto, on the other hand, is clearly disgusting, savage, and inhumane.
>A tragic waste of good soybeans

which would make cheese a tragic waste of milk then??

Hanako Kobayashi

Nov 17, 2002, 12:57:00 AM11/17/02
Kaz wrote:

> worth...@yahoo.com (John W.) wrote in message news:<73fde4f0.02111...@posting.google.com>...
> > k...@ivebeenframed.com (Kaz) wrote in message news:<365fcc52.0211...@posting.google.com>...
> > >

> > > Sorry but it's a serious issue for us since those Tokyo or Kobe type
> > > "Honorary Whites" folks always label Kinai type persons who eat
> > > Japanese Anko sweets as 90 year-old racists. Like the girl who was
> > > told by Matt.
> > > We have a lot of western(mostly French style) confectioneries but we
> > > still like those Ohban-Yaki stuffs too.
> > > Those bigoted pseudo-westerners even label any Kinai person who eats
> > > Anko as Yakuza.
> > > Sometimes they even label a Kinai person who always uses chopsticks as
> > > a Yakuza so I've got to be serious about it.
> >
> > Sometimes I think you are victim to the malady that affects most
> > Japanese I've met. You don't understand the over emotion of
> > foreigners. To you it's extreme, calling you a savage, etc.,
>
> Surely it's extreme to me. I really don't like foreigners and those
> "Honorary Whites" folks labeling me and other un-westernized Japanese
> as savage, Yakuza, uncivilized, cheater, spy, terrorists, etc. How do
> you feel if you were the one? I mean how do you feel if you were in
> the same situation that people are reviling at you just because you
> follow the ordinary traditional culture and habits of your own
> country.

I wouldn't let myself be so sensitive, for starters. You really, really have a chip on your shoulder. If you
think your life is so hard, you should try being a foreigner in Japan sometime. I'm not sure how you came up with
people in Tokyo don't eat Anko, and consider it a kansai 'yakuza' thing. If that's the case, why is it sold in
Tokyo at all, and why do so many places sell it (sometimes at really high prices)?

> > but to us
> > it's just a normal reaction. Nothing offensive, nothing severe. Our
> > reactions are just big. You read too much into things.
>
> Those over reactions of foreigners don't matter to me at all, but the
> infection to those "wanna-be westerner", the "Honorary Whites"
> Japanese is the serious issue because they always try to imitate what
> the Westeners do, and they always start to bully and discriminate
> against people who were disliked by the Westerners. Believe it or not,
> the one of the reasons why Osakans have been discriminated by most
> Japanese is because foreigners hate it. And that reason was also the
> one of motivations to stand as a candidate for the Olympic games of
> 2008. But it already failed though.

Hate what. Osaka? I don't believe it. Few foreigners I know hate Osaka (few Japanese, for that matter, but I know
you don't believe that). No, one of the reasons for the historical animosity grew from Osaka being a merchant
town (mainly) and Edo being a samurai town (mostly). The latter wanted to control the former, but everyone knew
that the merchants held the samurai by the balls (and that pissed off the samurai, logically).

John W.

Kevin Gowen

Nov 17, 2002, 9:26:12 AM11/17/02
Brett Robson wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 21:12:43 +0900, Michael tapped desperatedly at the keyboard
>>
>>This is quite a way to bestow immortality on a kangaroo....or at least
>>a portion of him, anyway. I'd hate to be the roo who laid down his
>>life so his nutsack could end up as a factory second, deeply
>>discounted while supplies last.
>

> "Hi Michael, I was happy with my kangaroo pouch. This one is going to my
> mother-in-law. I may order more later on. Regards, Kevin"

Asshole. My mother in-law is dead, you fuck.

- Kevin

Brett Robson

Nov 17, 2002, 9:58:54 AM11/17/02
On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 09:26:12 -0500, Kevin tapped desperatedly at the keyboard

>Brett Robson wrote:
>>On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 21:12:43 +0900, Michael tapped desperatedly at the keyboard
>>>
>>>This is quite a way to bestow immortality on a kangaroo....or at least
>>>a portion of him, anyway. I'd hate to be the roo who laid down his
>>>life so his nutsack could end up as a factory second, deeply
>>>discounted while supplies last.
>>

>> "Hi Michael, I was happy with my kangaroo pouch. This one is going to my
>> mother-in-law. I may order more later on. Regards, Kevin"
>
>Asshole. My mother in-law is dead, you fuck.

I guess she won't need one then.

That is a cut and paste from the top page.

Kevin Gowen

Nov 17, 2002, 10:53:41 AM11/17/02
Brett Robson wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 09:26:12 -0500, Kevin tapped desperatedly at the keyboard
>>
>>Brett Robson wrote:
>>>On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 21:12:43 +0900, Michael tapped desperatedly at the keyboard

>>> "Hi Michael, I was happy with my kangaroo pouch. This one is going to my
>>> mother-in-law. I may order more later on. Regards, Kevin"
>>
>>Asshole. My mother in-law is dead, you fuck.
>>

> I guess she won't need one then.

Neither shall you.

> That is a cut and paste from the top page.

- Kevin

Kaz

Nov 17, 2002, 12:14:08 PM11/17/02
Jun Miyamoto <miya...@physics.purdue.edu> wrote in message news:<ar6qmp$cr7$1...@mozo.cc.purdue.edu>...

> The Japanese may love shellfish like shrimp and crabs or oysters
> but these are the most disgusting things I could ever eat and
> I don't think I am the only Japanese who feels this way.

Do you mean you don't like seafoods at all? As a matter of fact, I
didn't like fish until I get grown up, but now I like them. Shrimp,
crabs and oysters are excellent and I don't understand why you don't
like them. I especially love deep freid oysters(Kaki Furai).I think
also many Americans, especially those in New England region like
oysters too. They eat them raw with ketchup and western wasabi like we
do for sashimi.

Jun Miyamoto

Nov 17, 2002, 12:27:50 PM11/17/02

I am a semi-vegetarian who can eat some fish(only those with scales and
fins like salmon and tuna). Besides those shellfishes scare me.

Whenever I open the New York Times magazines, they show that gigantic
Maine lobsters with HUGE scissors and antennas in colored pictures.
I just cannot identify myself with people who savor them. I just
love vegetables and potatoes and trained myself to be a good cook
without using any meat or fish.

In article <365fcc52.0211...@posting.google.com>,

Jun Miyamoto

Nov 17, 2002, 12:33:11 PM11/17/02

In article <3dd70302...@news.cogeco.ca>,

Maybe it has to do with different nutritious categories? Beans
belong to carbohydrate like rice or potato and they are served
in the western meals as side dishes ? They are not supposed to
be sweetened? If the beans are served just as beans it is OK?

This kind of repulsive reaction does exist even if you are
eating the same thing. I know someone who cannot eat tomatoes
in salads but if it is in the form of pizza sauce it is OK.

I know also someone who can eat fruit with no problems but when
they are made into jams, they just can't. I think visible effects
play a lot here as well as different forms of cooking the same
ingriedients. Interesting.

Greg Macdonald

Nov 17, 2002, 12:53:58 PM11/17/02
On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 17:33:11 +0000 (UTC), Jun Miyamoto
<miya...@physics.purdue.edu> spake:

>In article <3dd70302...@news.cogeco.ca>,
>Greg Macdonald <mr_mac_...@SPAMSUCKShotmail.com> wrote:
>>On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 01:17:13 +0000 (UTC), Jun Miyamoto
>><miya...@physics.purdue.edu> spake:
>>

>>>In the Japanese bean paste, the skin of the bean is visible
>>>like the hardshells of shellfish? That may be the source of
>>>disgust. If the skin is not visible, it looks(and tastes) like
>>>just like any other fruit paste used for western baking(date
>>>filling is a good example).
>>
>>The texture and appearance of bean paste never affected me in the
>>slightest-- I just couldn't stand the taste. And I totally disagree
>>that it taste likes 'any other fruit paste'. I could be an exception,
>>I dunno.
>>

>Maybe it has to do with different nutritious categories? Beans
>belong to carbohydrate like rice or potato and they are served
>in the western meals as side dishes ? They are not supposed to
>be sweetened? If the beans are served just as beans it is OK?

Could be, but not in my case. I LOVE baked beans, especially the maple
syrup flavoured kind. So sweet beans aren't a problem at all. It's
just the particular flavour of whatever bean paste was being used in
the Japanese desserts I was eating that I didn't like.

>This kind of repulsive reaction does exist even if you are
>eating the same thing. I know someone who cannot eat tomatoes
>in salads but if it is in the form of pizza sauce it is OK.
>
>I know also someone who can eat fruit with no problems but when
>they are made into jams, they just can't. I think visible effects
>play a lot here as well as different forms of cooking the same
>ingriedients. Interesting.

That's true, and I've also noted that people can be very picky about
tastes even among the same foods, like me. For example, people that
insist on certain brands of peanut butter, or jams.

Jun Miyamoto

Nov 17, 2002, 2:07:32 PM11/17/02

In article <3dd7d6d5...@news.cogeco.ca>,

Greg Macdonald <mr_mac_...@SPAMSUCKShotmail.com> wrote:
>On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 17:33:11 +0000 (UTC), Jun Miyamoto
><miya...@physics.purdue.edu> spake:
>

>>In article <3dd70302...@news.cogeco.ca>,
>>Greg Macdonald <mr_mac_...@SPAMSUCKShotmail.com> wrote:
>>>On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 01:17:13 +0000 (UTC), Jun Miyamoto
>>><miya...@physics.purdue.edu> spake:

>>>The texture and appearance of bean paste never affected me in the
>>>slightest-- I just couldn't stand the taste. And I totally disagree
>>>that it taste likes 'any other fruit paste'. I could be an exception,
>>>I dunno.
>>>

>>Maybe it has to do with different nutritious categories? Beans
>>belong to carbohydrate like rice or potato and they are served
>>in the western meals as side dishes ? They are not supposed to
>>be sweetened? If the beans are served just as beans it is OK?
>
>Could be, but not in my case. I LOVE baked beans, especially the maple
>syrup flavoured kind. So sweet beans aren't a problem at all. It's
>just the particular flavour of whatever bean paste was being used in
>the Japanese desserts I was eating that I didn't like.

I believe it is the azuki beans(shining purple color and thick skin
not easy to make it invisible even after smashed in the blender)
that make the Japanese bean paste. I think it is common to make
something sweet out of it in the Japanese cooking but there have to
be other dishes using the same bean even in Japan.

Western vegetarian cook books do list some dishes that call for azuki
beans and I recommend you try those and see how you feel.

Greg Macdonald

Nov 17, 2002, 7:04:06 PM11/17/02
On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 19:07:32 +0000 (UTC), Jun Miyamoto
<miya...@physics.purdue.edu> spake:

>I believe it is the azuki beans(shining purple color and thick skin

>not easy to make it invisible even after smashed in the blender)
>that make the Japanese bean paste. I think it is common to make
>something sweet out of it in the Japanese cooking but there have to
>be other dishes using the same bean even in Japan.
>
>Western vegetarian cook books do list some dishes that call for azuki
>beans and I recommend you try those and see how you feel.

I'll give them a try sometime... even though I'm *really* short of
vegetarian cookbooks :)

Kaz

Nov 17, 2002, 8:02:09 PM11/17/02
"Hanako Kobayashi" <han...@uclink4.berkeley.edu> wrote in message

I don't think I'm sensitive though. Considering those offensive attitudes
toward us, I am still rather optimistic than other Osakans.

> for starters. You really, really have a chip on your shoulder. If you
> think your life is so hard, you should try being a foreigner in Japan
sometime.

Those people in Kinai are not even treated, or considered as the Japanese
nationals these days, maybe due to our hatred and ridicule against the
pseudo western things of the Tokyo imperial totalitarian civilization and
its
severe centralization. So we are somewhat non-Japanese anyway, and I don't
understand what you mean "be foreigner sometime". . We are often treated as
the Koreans or the Chinese and we have been being a sort of non-Japanese
over too
long period. If you mean foreigners as Caucasians, it's is completely a
contradiction and
ridiculous since I could never change my DNA.

And if I, or Osakans become being the more like non-Japanese, the more
severe discrimination and exclusion will be practiced by the imperial Tokyo
folks.

> I'm not sure how you came up with
> people in Tokyo don't eat Anko, and consider it a kansai 'yakuza' thing.
If that's the case, why is it sold in
> Tokyo at all, and why do so many places sell it (sometimes at really high
prices)?

Please don't misunderstand. What I mean Tokyo is the region of Yamanote
area. The Edo region, The region that has been existing from the Edo era is
not included to my meaning of Tokyo. To me the region is not Tokyo but it's
Edo. And of course there are sweetie stores that sell Anko sweets, however,
you
seldom find any store selling those Anko stuffs in the "Pseudo-Western"
"Honorary Whites" region of Tokyo(Yamanote).
Even though you may find a few, it is definitely far less
stores than the Edo region. And those people in Tokyo(Yamanote) definitely
tend to despise those Anko-eating folks in the Edo region. And maybe the
only premium Anko sweets are sold in the Tokyo region and that's why
sometimes they are sold at really high prices, I suppose.

> > > but to us
> > > it's just a normal reaction. Nothing offensive, nothing severe. Our
> > > reactions are just big. You read too much into things.
> >
> > Those over reactions of foreigners don't matter to me at all, but the
> > infection to those "wanna-be westerner", the "Honorary Whites"
> > Japanese is the serious issue because they always try to imitate what
> > the Westeners do, and they always start to bully and discriminate
> > against people who were disliked by the Westerners. Believe it or not,
> > the one of the reasons why Osakans have been discriminated by most
> > Japanese is because foreigners hate it. And that reason was also the
> > one of motivations to stand as a candidate for the Olympic games of
> > 2008. But it already failed though.
>
> Hate what. Osaka? I don't believe it. Few foreigners I know hate Osaka
(few Japanese, for that
> matter, but I know
> you don't believe that).

At least, there are a lot of Japanese despise and hate Osakans and the
Koreans. If you don't know that fact, you maybe stayed too long in somewhere
in overseas.

> No, one of the reasons for the historical animosity grew from Osaka being
a merchant
> town (mainly) and Edo being a samurai town (mostly). The latter wanted to
control the former, but > everyone knew
> that the merchants held the samurai by the balls (and that pissed off the
samurai, logically).

Osakan merchants are like Jews of Japan, and those imperial Tokyo samurai
racialists are just like those White supremacists.

I envy the fact that the Jews have been in the high position of its country,
while Osakan merchants are classified as just a sort of slaves in Japan.

> John W.

Why do you have two names? Which are you, John or Hanako?

John W.

Nov 17, 2002, 8:57:43 PM11/17/02
Kaz wrote:

> Those people in Kinai are not even treated, or considered as the Japanese
> nationals these days, maybe due to our hatred and ridicule against the
> pseudo western things of the Tokyo imperial totalitarian civilization and
> its
> severe centralization. So we are somewhat non-Japanese anyway, and I don't
> understand what you mean "be foreigner sometime". . We are often treated as
> the Koreans or the Chinese and we have been being a sort of non-Japanese
> over too
> long period. If you mean foreigners as Caucasians, it's is completely a
> contradiction and
> ridiculous since I could never change my DNA.

Interesting. So on the one hand you profess that 'Kinai' people are more
kind/friendly/accepting to foreigners (if I had more time/interest I'd look up
the posts where you've said this), but you can't be because you're anti
"Western-loving" Tokyo Japs.

And if you'd take the time to use your noggin' you'd know that I meant it's
much, much more difficult to be a foreigner in Japan than it is to be a
Japanese.

> And if I, or Osakans become being the more like non-Japanese, the more
> severe discrimination and exclusion will be practiced by the imperial Tokyo
> folks.

But I thought those Tokyo bastards were pro West?

> Please don't misunderstand. What I mean Tokyo is the region of Yamanote
> area. The Edo region, The region that has been existing from the Edo era is
> not included to my meaning of Tokyo. To me the region is not Tokyo but it's
> Edo. And of course there are sweetie stores that sell Anko sweets, however,
> you
> seldom find any store selling those Anko stuffs in the "Pseudo-Western"
> "Honorary Whites" region of Tokyo(Yamanote).

How much you want to bet someone can't run down to the Yamanote region and find
some Anko-selling shops?

> Even though you may find a few, it is definitely far less
> stores than the Edo region. And those people in Tokyo(Yamanote) definitely
> tend to despise those Anko-eating folks in the Edo region. And maybe the
> only premium Anko sweets are sold in the Tokyo region and that's why
> sometimes they are sold at really high prices, I suppose.
>

> At least, there are a lot of Japanese despise and hate Osakans and the
> Koreans. If you don't know that fact, you maybe stayed too long in somewhere
> in overseas.

No, I know that there are such prejudices. But this is pervasive in Japan, not
just Kansai or Tokyo. People from the Nagoya region are looked down on, so are
folks in Hiroshima, Tokai, Hokkaido, pick a place and everyone else in Japan
will have some prejudice against them. I think it has something to do with very
low self esteem.

> Osakan merchants are like Jews of Japan, and those imperial Tokyo samurai
> racialists are just like those White supremacists.
>
> I envy the fact that the Jews have been in the high position of its country,
> while Osakan merchants are classified as just a sort of slaves in Japan.

I doubt this is true. Besides, the only reason the Jews were given Israel is
because nobody in Europe wanted a large Jewish population.

> > John W.
>
> Why do you have two names? Which are you, John or Hanako?

John. I forgot to delete my wife's name from Netscape. But like all marriages
we're sort of the same person by now anyway (which is one reason I take such
great offense to your insults against her home town).

John W.

MonkeyBoy

Nov 17, 2002, 9:47:53 PM11/17/02
"Red Bean Rising"

Okay, let's not go jumping to generalizations here. Not all
westerners hate anko (especially when preceeded with an "M" heh heh)

Anyway, I like it, though it can be a bit sweet when there is a large
amount of it. I think it's great on green tea ice cream too :-)

But, then again, I also like natto - am I strange? Am I . . .
different?

Also, Kaz, I have a great deal of respect for those Japanese who are
proud of and hold true to their culture.

- MonkeyBoy

k...@ivebeenframed.com (Kaz) wrote in message news:<365fcc52.02111...@posting.google.com>...

> About a year ago or so, I was watching "Koko ga hen dayo Nihonjin"
> then I heard that foreign people extremely dislike "Anko", and they
> were blaming like it's unbelievable, disgusting, savage, crazy to eat
> sweetened beans. Beans must not be sweet in the civilized human's
> eating habits....something like that.
>
> But I suppose it's a quite contradiction that chocolates are also made
> out of beans. It is surely made from Cacao beans. And the chocolates
> are surely sweet although some of them are bitter.

John W.

Nov 17, 2002, 9:56:48 PM11/17/02
MonkeyBoy wrote:

> "Red Bean Rising"
>
> Okay, let's not go jumping to generalizations here. Not all
> westerners hate anko (especially when preceeded with an "M" heh heh)
>
> Anyway, I like it, though it can be a bit sweet when there is a large
> amount of it. I think it's great on green tea ice cream too :-)
>
> But, then again, I also like natto - am I strange? Am I . . .
> different?
>
> Also, Kaz, I have a great deal of respect for those Japanese who are
> proud of and hold true to their culture.

From this statement can it be assumed that you don't respect Kaz? He only respects a tiny portion of his
country's culture, and hates the rest of it.

John W.

Matthew Caesar

Nov 17, 2002, 11:22:09 PM11/17/02

"Kaz" <k...@ivebeenframed.com> wrote in message

> Jun Miyamoto <miya...@physics.purdue.edu> wrote in message
>
> > The Japanese may love shellfish like shrimp and crabs or oysters
> > but these are the most disgusting things I could ever eat and
> > I don't think I am the only Japanese who feels this way.
>
> Do you mean you don't like seafoods at all? As a matter of fact, I
> didn't like fish until I get grown up, but now I like them.

Jun said "shellfish," not "seafood."

>Shrimp,
> crabs and oysters are excellent and I don't understand why you don't
> like them. I especially love deep freid oysters(Kaki Furai).

Purely your opinion Kaz. You seem to not want to respect the opinions of
others. Personally, I like shellfish. But Jun may not, for their taste,
smell, texture...the list can go on. People are ALLOWED not to like
something. GASP. Other people of the same nationality dislike something
you do? I guess they must be from Tokyo.

Oh wait, the Tokyo-japs aren't true Japanese like those from Kinai, right?

>I think
> also many Americans, especially those in New England region like
> oysters too. They eat them raw with ketchup and western wasabi like we
> do for sashimi.

"Western" wasabi? Horseradish is horseradish, Kaz. I don't give wasabi an
"eastern" designation. Quit segragating everything so much.

And for your information, personally, I love anko. Mmm. Not a big fan of
natto or tororo imo though.

--
Matt

Kaz

Nov 18, 2002, 12:46:23 AM11/18/02

"Matthew Caesar" <mca...@student.nospam.umass.edu> wrote in message

> "Kaz" <k...@ivebeenframed.com> wrote in message
> > Jun Miyamoto <miya...@physics.purdue.edu> wrote in message
> >
> > > The Japanese may love shellfish like shrimp and crabs or oysters
> > > but these are the most disgusting things I could ever eat and
> > > I don't think I am the only Japanese who feels this way.
> >
> > Do you mean you don't like seafoods at all? As a matter of fact, I
> > didn't like fish until I get grown up, but now I like them.
>
> Jun said "shellfish," not "seafood."

I am just asking him if he dislikes seafoods. And that is not any of your
business whether I ask him if he likes or not. ANY HUMAN IS ALLOWED TO ASK
ANYBODY unless you rule me or you rule the globe.

> >Shrimp,
> > crabs and oysters are excellent and I don't understand why you don't
> > like them. I especially love deep freid oysters(Kaki Furai).
>
> Purely your opinion Kaz. You seem to not want to respect the opinions of
> others.

It's just your silly reasoning. It seems a dictatorial person like you
always judge by his silly egoistic point of view.
I am merely explaining what I like. Is human NOT ALLOWED to express what he
likes to eat in your doctrine that is supposed to be defined as superior by
only you? And don't call my name. I don't like someone new to me calling my
name.

> Personally, I like shellfish.

Purely it's just your opinion.

> But Jun may not, for their taste,
> smell, texture...the list can go on. People are ALLOWED not to like
> something.

Although it's Anko, people are also ALLOWED to eat anything he likes.
Anko has nothing to do with classic jap Yakuza things.

GASP. Other people of the same nationality dislike something
> you do? I guess they must be from Tokyo.

You seem like you are completely blind about how those Tokyo-japs detest us.

> Oh wait, the Tokyo-japs aren't true Japanese like those from Kinai, right?

But they insist that they are the true Japanese and we are the Korean
bastards.

> >I think
> > also many Americans, especially those in New England region like
> > oysters too. They eat them raw with ketchup and western wasabi like we
> > do for sashimi.
>
> "Western" wasabi? Horseradish is horseradish, Kaz. I don't give wasabi
an
> "eastern" designation. Quit segragating everything so much.

It is free to call anything any name. And it's none of your business what
name he calls. Just don't force anyone with your self-centered opinion. I
don't care whether you give it or not. It's not my business at all..

> And for your information, personally, I love anko. Mmm. Not a big fan of
> natto or tororo imo though.

Purely it's just your opinion. It's simply none of my business whether you
like Anko or not, or whether you hate natto or not at all.

Matthew Caesar

Nov 18, 2002, 1:22:26 AM11/18/02

"Kaz" <KazR...@ivebeenframed.com> wrote in message

> And don't call my name. I don't like someone new to me calling my
> name.

Then don't use it as your internet identity. Use some moniker if you don't
want people to call you by your name.

> > Personally, I like shellfish.
>
> Purely it's just your opinion.
>
> > But Jun may not, for their taste,
> > smell, texture...the list can go on. People are ALLOWED not to like
> > something.
>
> Although it's Anko, people are also ALLOWED to eat anything he likes.
> Anko has nothing to do with classic jap Yakuza things.

I don't understand this statement at all.

> You seem like you are completely blind about how those Tokyo-japs detest
us.

Oh, I've seen it...when people ask me if there was anyplace else in Japan I
would like to study at in the future, I always reply Kansai. Oh boy.

> > >I think
> > > also many Americans, especially those in New England region like
> > > oysters too. They eat them raw with ketchup and western wasabi like we
> > > do for sashimi.
> >
> > "Western" wasabi? Horseradish is horseradish, Kaz. I don't give wasabi
> an
> > "eastern" designation. Quit segragating everything so much.
>
> It is free to call anything any name. And it's none of your business what
> name he calls. Just don't force anyone with your self-centered opinion. I
> don't care whether you give it or not. It's not my business at all..

You complain about how the Tokyo-japs get you down through their unofficial
segregation, yet you then go and segregate everything else. Hmm...makes
PERFECT sense to me.

> > And for your information, personally, I love anko. Mmm. Not a big fan
of
> > natto or tororo imo though.
>
> Purely it's just your opinion. It's simply none of my business whether you
> like Anko or not, or whether you hate natto or not at all.

Then, please enlighten me.

Why did you start this whole rant about how anko was "banned?" Your
coworker didn't like it. The people on Koko ga Hen didn't like it. Surely
you can't assume that all westerners dislike it then? Perhaps your usage of
the word "banned" in the subject lead me astray. By your own logic then, it
is simply none of your business if your coworker or the people on Koko ga
Hen dislike anko. So give it a rest.

Frankly, anyone who says that eating sweetened beans is "unbelievable,
disgusting, savage" etc, is an idiot. Try to take stuff like that with a
grain of salt. After all, the point of a show like Koko ga Hen (or anything
else on TV for that matter) is for entertainment value. It riled you up.
Sadly, not all of us find your ranting to be very entertaining.

--
Matt

Greg Macdonald

Nov 18, 2002, 1:24:21 AM11/18/02
On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 14:46:23 +0900, "Kaz"
<KazR...@ivebeenframed.com> spake:

>> >Shrimp,
>> > crabs and oysters are excellent and I don't understand why you don't
>> > like them. I especially love deep freid oysters(Kaki Furai).
>>
>> Purely your opinion Kaz. You seem to not want to respect the opinions of
>> others.
>
>It's just your silly reasoning. It seems a dictatorial person like you
>always judge by his silly egoistic point of view.
>I am merely explaining what I like. Is human NOT ALLOWED to express what he
>likes to eat in your doctrine that is supposed to be defined as superior by
>only you? And don't call my name. I don't like someone new to me calling my
>name.

Interesting that you criticize him for having a 'dictatorial'
attitude, and then slide right into some dictations of your own. And
if you don't want people to use your name, post anonymously. Or not at
all. This is a public forum, as you have stridently noted.

Kaz

Nov 18, 2002, 1:03:16 AM11/18/02

"John W." <worth...@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message

I am not hating. I said I also like those French style confectionaries.
There are also many of those European style confectioneries in my town, not
only those Anko sweets stores.

Kaz

Nov 18, 2002, 1:14:33 AM11/18/02

"Kaz" <KazR...@ivebeenframed.com> wrote in message

> "Matthew Caesar" <mca...@student.nospam.umass.edu> wrote in message

> > And for your information, personally, I love anko. Mmm. Not a big fan

of
> > natto or tororo imo though.
>
> Purely it's just your opinion. It's simply none of my business whether you
> like Anko or not, or whether you hate natto or not at all.

I forgot to mention that your claim is just completely a contradiction and
it doesn't make any sense to me at all. It seems you are trying to label me
as a nasty dictator but you sound like the more silly dictator to me. Nice
try but come back with a better claim or flame sometimes.

Collin McCulley

Nov 18, 2002, 2:41:50 AM11/18/02

"MonkeyBoy" <somewil...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:329c964.02111...@posting.google.com...

> "Red Bean Rising"
>
> Okay, let's not go jumping to generalizations here. Not all
> westerners hate anko (especially when preceeded with an "M" heh heh)

Put me down for one of each, please.

When I first read Kaz's post, I went and grabbed myself a
daifuku mochi from the fridge. I had the last two for desert
tonight.

--Collin

Matthew Caesar

Nov 18, 2002, 1:55:29 AM11/18/02

"Kaz" <KazR...@ivebeenframed.com> wrote in message

What, the fact that I like anko, and don't like natto or tororo imo? I just
thew those in as they seem to be the foods that the token gaijin like myself
doesn't seem to like. It was for the purpose of you perhaps trying to gauge
my taste in food.

I don't see how I flamed you by pointing out what I liked and didn't like.
Sorry, if you want me to label you as a nasty dictator, I can. Others have
already, too. In this thread no less!

--
Matt

MonkeyBoy

Nov 18, 2002, 3:03:26 AM11/18/02
"John W." <worth...@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3DD856F0...@nospam.yahoo.com>...

If you are asking whether I mean the inverse of what I stated above,
then no, that cannot be assumed. I haven't read up enough on this
group to completely understand where Kaz is coming from :-) My
comment was simply in response to his mentioning in an earlier post
something to the effect of "non-Westernized" Japanese being frowned
upon. So, I withold comment on Kaz pending further reading.

By the way, I should have specified "traditional" culture above.

In any case, of course my respect for someone, or lack thereof,
ultimately depends on the individual.

Regards,

MonkeyBoy

Kaz

Nov 18, 2002, 2:55:12 AM11/18/02

"Matthew Caesar" <mca...@student.nospam.umass.edu> wrote in message

I like tororo imo but I don't like natto either. But according to your
doctrine, it's supposed be banned to speak something that I like or
not.....and it's only allowed to you to speak that.

> I don't see how I flamed you by pointing out what I liked and didn't like.
> Sorry, if you want me to label you as a nasty dictator, I can. Others
have
> already, too. In this thread no less!

It doesn't make sense to me because you are the one who started to blame my
post saying "what I like is the deep fried oysters(Kaki Furai)" first.

Of course I think you can label me as a nasty dictator anytime since you are
the dictator who judges everything by your narrow doctrine. And others maybe
if they were also dictators.

So are you going to execute me because of my being Anko-eating Kansai-jin
and a nasty Yakuza dictator?

What I am trying to avoid is just not to dream any nightmare at tonight that
those Honorary Whites of your friends and those White men press me down and
tie me to the electric chair.

And noticing me as the one of final that;

"We will execute you by the guilt of being a un-westernized classic Yakuza
dictator"

and the evidence they announced to prove me as a Yakuza dictator;

"Being a un-westernized Anko-eating Kansai-jin who even tries to liberalize
eating of Anko"

Declan Murphy

Nov 18, 2002, 5:00:19 AM11/18/02

I don't think he read that far.

I like the look of those Kangaroo scotum pouches. I wonder if the famed
penis puppeteers are going to set up a merchandise line?

Another quote had interesting FJLIJ moonlighting connections too.

"Hello Michael, I bought a kangaroo "fanny pack" from you a couple
months ago. I am happy with that. Now, we may be interested in a couple
of Croc belts...Thanks, Gary"

Hokousha

Nov 18, 2002, 5:06:25 AM11/18/02
cjundie...@powerup.com.au (obakesan) wrote in message news:<ar781t$c75$1...@nnrp.gol.com>...
> >Natto, on the other hand, is clearly disgusting, savage, and inhumane.
> >A tragic waste of good soybeans
>
> which would make cheese a tragic waste of milk then??

Cheese? No. Cheese is fine. Wonderful. Or... I used to think that.
After years of bland, generic cheeses here I'm not sure I could handle
a chunk of something like Stilton anymore. Yikes. Maybe we'll have to
save the milk now as well, although... it presents an interesting
issue since soy milk has also become popular. So much liberating to
do, so little time.

Meanwhile my E-mail "Save the Soybeans" spam campaign has already
resulted in over $500K in contributions, virtually all of it from
Nigerian bankers and former government officials. I also got a query
from an LDP committee. They assured me that their soybean fermentation
program is for scientific purposes only and that the real culprit is
the beans themselves, which eat too much bacteria. Isn't the net
weird?

Tim

Brett Robson

Nov 18, 2002, 5:36:12 AM11/18/02
On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 19:00:19 +0900, Declan tapped desperatedly at the keyboard

They can make stuff out of kangaroo fannies? What would you put in those? CDs
perhaps.
(whoosh to just about everyone except Declan, Chris and Rodney)

Sounds like you and I are the only ones who didn't know about Michael's
kanagaroo enterprise. I wonder where he gets them, does he have a farm up in
Gunma?

Declan Murphy

Nov 18, 2002, 6:20:25 AM11/18/02
Brett Robson wrote:

> They can make stuff out of kangaroo fannies? What would you put in those? CDs
> perhaps.

Westons Wagon Wheels mate.

> Sounds like you and I are the only ones who didn't know about Michael's
> kanagaroo enterprise. I wonder where he gets them, does he have a farm up in
> Gunma?

Farming roos? Shirley it can't be done.

Michael Cash

Nov 18, 2002, 8:46:01 AM11/18/02
On 18 Nov 2002 02:36:12 -0800, Brett Robson <jet...@deja.com>
bellowed:

We have a zoo. They ran out of wallabies, so I had to switch to
kangaroos.

--

Michael Cash

"Would you please tell the women in Japan that the only thing that doesn't
look slutty in a leopard skin print is a leopard?"

Prof. Briscoe Darling
Mount Pilot College

http://www.sunfield.ne.jp/~mike/
http://www.oldies.jp

John W.

Nov 18, 2002, 12:25:25 PM11/18/02
Kaz wrote:

But you hate everything about the Tokyo Japs (and their evil brothers in Kobe
and Himeji, and the uglies in Kyoto as well) and you despise the samurai
legacy, which is the largest and most important element in the past 1500 years
of Japanese history.

John W.

Matthew Caesar

Nov 18, 2002, 12:41:50 PM11/18/02

"Kaz" <KazR...@ivebeenframed.com> wrote in message

Nono, Kaz, my "doctrine" is that you shouldn't tell people that you don't
understand why they don't like something like you do - it makes it seem like
they should and they have no good reason to like something. You're allowed
to like your kaki furai. Personally, I like mine raw. Do you see me
questioning why you like kaki furai? Or why you may or may not like them
raw? NO.

> > I don't see how I flamed you by pointing out what I liked and didn't
like.
> > Sorry, if you want me to label you as a nasty dictator, I can. Others
> have
> > already, too. In this thread no less!
>
> It doesn't make sense to me because you are the one who started to blame
my
> post saying "what I like is the deep fried oysters(Kaki Furai)" first.
>
> Of course I think you can label me as a nasty dictator anytime since you
are
> the dictator who judges everything by your narrow doctrine. And others
maybe
> if they were also dictators.

I guess I must be a dictator, as you keep on saying so. After all, my last
name IS Caesar.

> So are you going to execute me because of my being Anko-eating Kansai-jin
> and a nasty Yakuza dictator?

...eh?

> What I am trying to avoid is just not to dream any nightmare at tonight
that
> those Honorary Whites of your friends and those White men press me down
and
> tie me to the electric chair.

The only chair you need to be tied down to is one in a padded white room.

> And noticing me as the one of final that;
>
> "We will execute you by the guilt of being a un-westernized classic Yakuza
> dictator"
>
> and the evidence they announced to prove me as a Yakuza dictator;
>
> "Being a un-westernized Anko-eating Kansai-jin who even tries to
liberalize
> eating of Anko"

Where the hell are these quotes from?

You've become totally nonsensical.

You should really calm down. I'm not calling you an un-civilized
Kansai-jin, because Kansai-jin aren't uncivilized. I'm not calling you a
yakuza either. Nor a dictator. I'm calling you someone who gets riled up
way too easily over the most mundane things possible.

--
Matt

Cindy

Nov 19, 2002, 4:39:08 PM11/19/02
Collin McCulley wrote:

> Put me down for one of each, please.
>
> When I first read Kaz's post, I went and grabbed myself a
> daifuku mochi from the fridge. I had the last two for desert
> tonight.

Damedayo Collin! Kataku natte shimau ja naino.

Collin McCulley

Nov 19, 2002, 10:34:54 PM11/19/02

"Cindy" <cind...@aol.com> wrote in message news:%byC9.85329$QZ.13038@sccrnsc02...

Because of refrigeration? They never have, but
I keep them sealed up. Sometimes they're even in
the fridge at the store.

--Collin

Dave Fossett

Nov 19, 2002, 9:10:26 PM11/19/02
Collin McCulley wrote:

> Because of refrigeration? They never have, but
> I keep them sealed up. Sometimes they're even in
> the fridge at the store.

Have you tried "Yukimi Daifuku" (ice cream wrapped in mochi)? They are kept
in the freezer, of course.

--
Dave Fossett
Saitama, JAPAN

Cindy

Nov 19, 2002, 9:35:03 PM11/19/02

That must be fake daifuku MOCHI! Well, I believe many wagashi are made
convenient for wagashi lovers now. I guess I will go to the Poon Nyun's
to get some for myself.

Kevin Gowen

Nov 19, 2002, 10:57:43 PM11/19/02
Dave Fossett wrote:
> Collin McCulley wrote:
>
>> Because of refrigeration? They never have, but
>> I keep them sealed up. Sometimes they're even in
>> the fridge at the store.
>
> Have you tried "Yukimi Daifuku" (ice cream wrapped in mochi)? They are kept
> in the freezer, of course.

I rather care for those. My BYJW particularly likes them.

> --
> Dave Fossett
> Saitama, JAPAN

- Kevin

Collin McCulley

Nov 20, 2002, 1:13:00 AM11/20/02

"Cindy" <cind...@aol.com> wrote in message news:rxCC9.87063$QZ.13209@sccrnsc02...

I don't know what would be fake about them, but they
certainly seem to be in "convenience" type packaging.
IIRC the ingredients are, rice flour, water (I think), sugar and beans.
Not a preservative in sight. What makes mochi mochi, as opposed
to fake mochi?
I don't recall the brand, but they're the kind that come
6 to a package. Up near the front of the store in one of the
wire racks at the end of the aisles.

--Collin

Collin McCulley

Nov 20, 2002, 1:17:26 AM11/20/02

"Dave Fossett" <re...@via.newsgroup> wrote in message news:8bCC9.1521$6C6.2...@news1.dion.ne.jp...

> Collin McCulley wrote:
>
> > Because of refrigeration? They never have, but
> > I keep them sealed up. Sometimes they're even in
> > the fridge at the store.
>
> Have you tried "Yukimi Daifuku" (ice cream wrapped in mochi)? They are kept
> in the freezer, of course.

No. I can't even seem to find green tea (or adzuki bean)
ice cream here, though maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

"Yukimi" is a new concept to me -- is there more to it
than looking out the window in the winter?

--Collin

Kevin Gowen

Nov 19, 2002, 11:50:17 PM11/19/02
Collin McCulley wrote:
> "Dave Fossett" <re...@via.newsgroup> wrote in message news:8bCC9.1521$6C6.2...@news1.dion.ne.jp...
>> Collin McCulley wrote:
>>
>> > Because of refrigeration? They never have, but
>> > I keep them sealed up. Sometimes they're even in
>> > the fridge at the store.
>>
>> Have you tried "Yukimi Daifuku" (ice cream wrapped in mochi)? They are kept
>> in the freezer, of course.
>

> No. I can't even seem to find green tea (or adzuki bean)
> ice cream here, though maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

AFAIK it is only a Lotte product, so you might have a spot of trouble
finding it in your neighborhood.

> "Yukimi" is a new concept to me -- is there more to it
> than looking out the window in the winter?

It's basically enjoying snow-covered scenery. You may know Basho's いざ
ゆかん雪見にころぶ所まで.

> --Collin

- Kevin

Kevin Gowen

Nov 19, 2002, 11:54:09 PM11/19/02

Well, this could describe any number of manufacturers. I don't see what
Cindy is making a deal about, though. (Cindy making a big deal about
nothing? Holy shit) I routinely saw daifuku under refrigeration in
department stores and other outlets. This was especially the case when
they were filled with fruit. Of course, I certainly saw them displayed
out in the open as well.

> --Collin

- Kevin

Kaz

Nov 20, 2002, 1:17:52 AM11/20/02
"John W." <worth...@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3DD84917...@nospam.yahoo.com...
> Kaz wrote:
>

> > Those people in Kinai are not even treated, or considered as the Japanese
> > nationals these days, maybe due to our hatred and ridicule against the
> > pseudo western things of the Tokyo imperial totalitarian civilization and
> > its
> > severe centralization. So we are somewhat non-Japanese anyway, and I don't
> > understand what you mean "be foreigner sometime". . We are often treated as
> > the Koreans or the Chinese and we have been being a sort of non-Japanese
> > over too
> > long period. If you mean foreigners as Caucasians, it's is completely a
> > contradiction and
> > ridiculous since I could never change my DNA.
> >

> Interesting. So on the one hand you profess that 'Kinai' people are more
> kind/friendly/accepting to foreigners (if I had more time/interest I'd look up

It's a general status from the 7th century. Don't you know that the
tower of Shitennoji is built for welcoming new comers to this island.

> the posts where you've said this), but you can't be because you're anti
> "Western-loving" Tokyo Japs.

Foreigners are not only the Westerners You always sound like you think
that every foreigner is the Westerner.....some like that. The
Westerners are just a part of foreigners, no more than that.

Of course I don't like those "pseudo-Westerners" since they detest us,
they try to destroy us, they severely discriminate us in the Japanese
society, they bother our peaceful livings, and they even threaten our
lives sometimes by inciting like "execute all those Osakans".... stuff
like that.

They even threaten other Asia, and people in Asia also don't like
those pseudo western brutal Tokyo samurais(Satsuma & Choshu
samurai)who are wearing western dresses with the second class
Bushido(those tokyo samurais were the second class samurai bastards
anyway)

They are just some kind of terrorists and nothing else for me
sometimes.

> And if you'd take the time to use your noggin' you'd know that I meant it's
> much, much more difficult to be a foreigner in Japan than it is to be a
> Japanese.

Maybe because the Westerners are offensive to those Anko-eating type
Japanese. And that's not our problem but yours.

> > And if I, or Osakans become being the more like non-Japanese, the more
> > severe discrimination and exclusion will be practiced by the imperial Tokyo
> > folks.
> >

> But I thought those Tokyo bastards were pro West?

Surely they are pro pseudo-Western Japanese, the pro honorary Whites.
But I definitely do not think they are pro true West. They are
nationalists of Tokyo pseudo western imperial regime and civilization,
and it seems they have some attitudes against the true West.

> > Please don't misunderstand. What I mean Tokyo is the region of Yamanote
> > area. The Edo region, The region that has been existing from the Edo era is
> > not included to my meaning of Tokyo. To me the region is not Tokyo but it's
> > Edo. And of course there are sweetie stores that sell Anko sweets, however,
> > you
> > seldom find any store selling those Anko stuffs in the "Pseudo-Western"
> > "Honorary Whites" region of Tokyo(Yamanote).
>
> How much you want to bet someone can't run down to the Yamanote region and find
> some Anko-selling shops?

I am NOT saying there is NO Anko-selling stores, but I am saying there
are very few of them. And the more western style confectioneries.

> > Even though you may find a few, it is definitely far less
> > stores than the Edo region. And those people in Tokyo(Yamanote) definitely
> > tend to despise those Anko-eating folks in the Edo region. And maybe the
> > only premium Anko sweets are sold in the Tokyo region and that's why
> > sometimes they are sold at really high prices, I suppose.

> > At least, there are a lot of Japanese despise and hate Osakans and the
> > Koreans. If you don't know that fact, you maybe stayed too long in somewhere
> > in overseas.
> >

> No, I know that there are such prejudices. But this is pervasive in Japan, not
> just Kansai or Tokyo. People from the Nagoya region are looked down on, so are
> folks in Hiroshima, Tokai, Hokkaido, pick a place and everyone else in Japan
> will have some prejudice against them. I think it has something to do with very
> low self esteem.

But it seems Hokkaido extremely detest us, and even Nagoya detest us.
It's true that Tokyoites detest everyone besides Tokyo, but we are on
the top of such classification of detested region.
Hiroshimans don't detest as much as ones in the other region because
they know the hell. It's only a few decades Hiroshima came back as a
ordinary Japanese city after the A-bomb. And tokyo-japs are extremely
detesting Hiroshimans as well as they do to Osakans since Hiroshima
was the hell. Many of Hiroshimans hate tokyo-japs, surely because they
were genocided because of those silly brutal pseudo-Westerners of
tokyo-japs, and even today, they still have those aftereffect of
nuclear.

> > Osakan merchants are like Jews of Japan, and those imperial Tokyo samurai
> > racialists are just like those White supremacists.
> >
> > I envy the fact that the Jews have been in the high position of its country,
> > while Osakan merchants are classified as just a sort of slaves in Japan.
> >

> I doubt this is true. Besides, the only reason the Jews were given Israel is
> because nobody in Europe wanted a large Jewish population.

We were given Osaka. Tokyo-japs seem like trying to ruin Kinai yayoi
population spreading in Japan though.

> > > John W.
> >
> > Why do you have two names? Which are you, John or Hanako?
>
> John. I forgot to delete my wife's name from Netscape. But like all marriages
> we're sort of the same person by now anyway (which is one reason I take such
> great offense to your insults against her home town).

Your wife is insulting me, looking down on me(us) as well as those
Himeji folks. I am tired of those Himeji folks insulting my region in
fj.soc.politics. And I am very confused with those Himeji folks who
detest us and making conspiracies together with Kobe and Hyogo ken
then trying to destroy us.

Collin McCulley

Nov 20, 2002, 3:36:28 AM11/20/02

"Kevin Gowen" <kgowen...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:3DDB1489...@myrealbox.com...

> Collin McCulley wrote:

> >> Have you tried "Yukimi Daifuku" (ice cream wrapped in mochi)? They are kept
> >> in the freezer, of course.
> >

> > No. I can't even seem to find green tea (or adzuki bean)
> > ice cream here, though maybe I haven't looked hard enough.
>
> AFAIK it is only a Lotte product, so you might have a spot of trouble
> finding it in your neighborhood.

The mochi or the ice cream? Lotte is a manufacturer?
For the ice cream I figure it's a matter of lack of demand or
the expense to supply it here, since it's certainly available in
NJ.

> > "Yukimi" is a new concept to me -- is there more to it
> > than looking out the window in the winter?
>
> It's basically enjoying snow-covered scenery. You may know Basho's いざ
> ゆかん雪見にころぶ所まで.

I'm a still bit ignorant of the high culture stuff.
It'll be awhile yet before I try tackling haiku.

--Collin

John W.

Nov 20, 2002, 1:47:14 AM11/20/02
Kaz wrote:

Listen you fucking little prick, leave family out of it, okay? I get really pissed when these things
come about, and I WILL notify your ISP that you are posting inflamatory, offensive posts of a racist
nature. I don't mind debating or even insulting posts directed at me, but if you want to see me get mad
start insulting my family. I will NOT warn you on this again, and I suggest you take my message here
literally.

John W.

Dave Fossett

Nov 20, 2002, 1:48:18 AM11/20/02
Collin McCulley wrote:

> The mochi or the ice cream?

No, Yukimi Daifuku. That was what we were talking about, wasn't it?

> Lotte is a manufacturer?

Yes.

Kevin Gowen

Nov 20, 2002, 2:01:59 AM11/20/02

Collin McCulley wrote:
> "Kevin Gowen" <kgowen...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:3DDB1489...@myrealbox.com...
>> Collin McCulley wrote:

>> > No. I can't even seem to find green tea (or adzuki bean)
>> > ice cream here, though maybe I haven't looked hard enough.
>>
>> AFAIK it is only a Lotte product, so you might have a spot of trouble
>> finding it in your neighborhood.
>
> The mochi or the ice cream?

I am talking about the Yukimi Daifuku, the daifuku with ice cream
inside. Obviously, many companies produce green tea ice cream and azuki
ice cream.

> Lotte is a manufacturer?

Surely you've heard of Lotte? They produce various candies, cookies, ice
cream treats, chewing gums, and other such products. They also own the
professional baseball team, the Chiba Lotte Marines.

> For the ice cream I figure it's a matter of lack of demand or
> the expense to supply it here, since it's certainly available in
> NJ.

How strange that you've not been able to find such ice cream. Do you
live in the sticks? I mean, even Haagen-Dazs makes green tea ice cream.
I don't know if they make azuki ice cream. Oh, and try their cinnamon
ice cream. It whips a wildcat's ass.

>> > "Yukimi" is a new concept to me -- is there more to it
>> > than looking out the window in the winter?
>>
>> It's basically enjoying snow-covered scenery. You may know Basho's いざ
>> ゆかん雪見にころぶ所まで.
>
> I'm a still bit ignorant of the high culture stuff.
> It'll be awhile yet before I try tackling haiku.

Don't worry. Neither Basho's haiku nor haiku in general are high culture
stuff. However, keep a cyanide capsule nearby in case you ever get the
urge to read Genji.

> --Collin

- Kevin

Yoshitaka Ikeda

Nov 20, 2002, 2:23:12 AM11/20/02
For faithful posters.

From <3DDB2FF2...@nospam.yahoo.com> Written by John W.

In fj.* news groups, most of users hate Kaz, because he is a racist.
Some user notified ISP and he was divested of his account.
After that, he says "I was diversted of my account because of
discrimination for Kinai."
And he insult many people an poor excuse.
He doesn't and never change, I think.
It's useless to talk to him.

--
Yoshitaka Ikeda
Living in Tokyo,Japan.

Kaz

Nov 20, 2002, 3:37:05 AM11/20/02
"Matthew Caesar" <mca...@student.nospam.umass.edu> wrote in message

I was just asking why he doesn't like it. What is really wrong with it?
Your mistake is that you had been labeled and stereotyped me as a classic
Yakuza, or maybe some Japanese you have met in your life before and you thought
he's nasty, and you automatically misread its meaning as I am forcing him to
eat it.

And my doctrine is NOT forcing one's own doctrine to someone he/she doesn't
know, and letting them do whatever they like to do.
You seem to be failed to label me the more nasty Yakuza dictator this time.
Nice try but come back with a better conspiracy.

> t makes it seem like
> they should and they have no good reason to like something. You're
allowed
> to like your kaki furai. Personally, I like mine raw. Do you see me
> questioning why you like kaki furai? Or why you may or may not like them
> raw? NO.
>
> > > I don't see how I flamed you by pointing out what I liked and didn't
> like.
> > > Sorry, if you want me to label you as a nasty dictator, I can. Others
> > have
> > > already, too. In this thread no less!
> >
> > It doesn't make sense to me because you are the one who started to blame
> my
> > post saying "what I like is the deep fried oysters(Kaki Furai)" first.
> >
> > Of course I think you can label me as a nasty dictator anytime since you
> are
> > the dictator who judges everything by your narrow doctrine. And others
> maybe
> > if they were also dictators.
>
> I guess I must be a dictator, as you keep on saying so. After all, my
last
> name IS Caesar.

Sure you are. but not because of your name.

> > So are you going to execute me because of my being Anko-eating
Kansai-jin
> > and a nasty Yakuza dictator?
>
> ...eh?
>
> > What I am trying to avoid is just not to dream any nightmare at tonight
> that
> > those Honorary Whites of your friends and those White men press me down
> and
> > tie me to the electric chair.
>
> The only chair you need to be tied down to is one in a padded white room.

That's the more nasty insulting. Hundred times more nastier than forcing
someone to eat something he doesn't like. I have no idea why you detest me
so much but it is completely free for me to have any lifestyle and logic.
You can't force me to have a specific logic or lifestyle.

<snipped>

Kaz

Nov 20, 2002, 3:39:14 AM11/20/02
"John W." <worth...@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3DD92284...@nospam.yahoo.com>...

Not every samurai is the first class samurai to be respected. I said they
are second class in the other post but actually I think those Tokyo samurai
of Satsuma and Choshu, the originals of the pseudo Westerners of Tokyo would
be the third class.

Dave Fossett

Nov 20, 2002, 6:55:16 AM11/20/02
"John W." wrote:

> [ ... ] and I WILL notify your ISP that you are posting inflamatory,

offensive posts of a racist
> nature. I don't mind debating or even insulting posts directed at me, but
if you want to see me get mad
> start insulting my family. I will NOT warn you on this again, and I
suggest you take my message here
> literally.

OK, so you haven't threatened to sue him yet, but when you start writing
stuff like this on Usenet, don't you think it is time to turn off the
computer, take a deep breath, and just go and do something else instead for
while?
Personally, I'm surprised that people still keep feeding this troll, let
alone take him seriously.

Collin McCulley

Nov 20, 2002, 11:20:07 AM11/20/02

"Kevin Gowen" <kgowen...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:3DDB3367...@myrealbox.com...

> Collin McCulley wrote:
> >> >>

> > Lotte is a manufacturer?
>
> Surely you've heard of Lotte?

Didn't he live in Sodom?

> They produce various candies, cookies, ice
> cream treats, chewing gums, and other such products. They also own the
> professional baseball team, the Chiba Lotte Marines.

Hadn't heard of them, but then I don't look at brand names
too closely when I buy that kind of stuff. What's
the Japanese pronunciation of that? "rotte"? "rootte"?

> > For the ice cream I figure it's a matter of lack of demand or
> > the expense to supply it here, since it's certainly available in
> > NJ.
>
> How strange that you've not been able to find such ice cream. Do you
> live in the sticks? I mean, even Haagen-Dazs makes green tea ice cream.
> I don't know if they make azuki ice cream. Oh, and try their cinnamon
> ice cream. It whips a wildcat's ass.

I'll ruffle through the Haagen-Daz and see if I can find them.
Fort Worth isn't exactly the sticks, but then grocery stores here
are not nearly as diversified in what they carry than in cities
up north. There are places, like Central Market,
that specialize in carrying international type and gourmet stuff,
odd ingredients, etc., but I just haven't made it there yet ... so
like I said, the fault is probably mine.
I go to an asian market (the one Cindy mentioned) that is
Korean run, but about half the store is Japanese stuff. I
took a peek in their freezer case and didn't see it, but maybe not
a long enough peek.

> Don't worry. Neither Basho's haiku nor haiku in general are high culture
> stuff. However, keep a cyanide capsule nearby in case you ever get the
> urge to read Genji.

Even if I read in in Japanese?

--Collin

Kevin Gowen

Nov 20, 2002, 9:45:48 AM11/20/02
Collin McCulley wrote:
> "Kevin Gowen" <kgowen...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:3DDB3367...@myrealbox.com...
>>
>> Collin McCulley wrote:
>> >> >>

>> > Lotte is a manufacturer?
>>
>> Surely you've heard of Lotte?
>
> Didn't he live in Sodom?
>
>> They produce various candies, cookies, ice
>> cream treats, chewing gums, and other such products. They also own the
>> professional baseball team, the Chiba Lotte Marines.
>
> Hadn't heard of them, but then I don't look at brand names
> too closely when I buy that kind of stuff. What's
> the Japanese pronunciation of that? "rotte"? "rootte"?

The Japanese spelling is ロッテ. I don't know, but I suspect that it is
the largest of such confection companies in Japan. It's website is
http://www.lotte.co.jp/. I suppose if you've never lived in Japan and
have no interest in Japanese baseball, it's not surprising that you've
never heard of Lotte.

>> > For the ice cream I figure it's a matter of lack of demand or
>> > the expense to supply it here, since it's certainly available in
>> > NJ.
>>
>> How strange that you've not been able to find such ice cream. Do you
>> live in the sticks? I mean, even Haagen-Dazs makes green tea ice cream.
>> I don't know if they make azuki ice cream. Oh, and try their cinnamon
>> ice cream. It whips a wildcat's ass.
>
> I'll ruffle through the Haagen-Daz and see if I can find them.
> Fort Worth isn't exactly the sticks, but then grocery stores here
> are not nearly as diversified in what they carry than in cities
> up north. There are places, like Central Market,
> that specialize in carrying international type and gourmet stuff,
> odd ingredients, etc., but I just haven't made it there yet ... so
> like I said, the fault is probably mine.
> I go to an asian market (the one Cindy mentioned) that is
> Korean run, but about half the store is Japanese stuff. I
> took a peek in their freezer case and didn't see it, but maybe not
> a long enough peek.

I am surprised you are having as hard a time as you are, but I am even
more surprised that you are so determined to find these flavors. They
aren't very good, you know. I suppose your best bet would be the
Oriental market, although Central Market may have what you seek. Or,
just switch to butter pecan. MMMMMMM!

If you still continue to have bad luck, it would be easy enough to make
your own green tea ice cream. I have no idea about how you would do go
about making azuki ice cream, although often such markets carry various
flavorings for shaved ice. The azuki flavoring sometimes contains the
beans themselves, so perhaps you could use that. Look at me being all
helpful with my food preparation tips.

>> Don't worry. Neither Basho's haiku nor haiku in general are high culture
>> stuff. However, keep a cyanide capsule nearby in case you ever get the
>> urge to read Genji.
>
> Even if I read in in Japanese?

Yes. If you are determined to read a Japanese novel, there are many that
you could choose, and they would have the bonus of not boring the balls
off you. Of course, they have the disadvantage of not being Chris Kern's
favorite book.

> --Collin

- Kevin

Cindy

Nov 20, 2002, 10:34:16 AM11/20/02
Kevin Gowen wrote:

> Cindy is making a deal about, though. (Cindy making a big deal about
> nothing? Holy shit) I routinely saw daifuku under refrigeration in
> department stores and other outlets.

プロは目の付け所が違うの! 大福餅にホントの餅を使っていたら、硬くなるの
が当たり前でしょう。

Cindy

Nov 20, 2002, 10:42:48 AM11/20/02
Collin McCulley wrote:

> I don't know what would be fake about them, but they
> certainly seem to be in "convenience" type packaging.
> IIRC the ingredients are, rice flour, water (I think), sugar and beans.
> Not a preservative in sight. What makes mochi mochi, as opposed
> to fake mochi?
> I don't recall the brand, but they're the kind that come
> 6 to a package. Up near the front of the store in one of the
> wire racks at the end of the aisles.

うん、知ってる、知ってる。

コリンはよく料理するから、もっと手間を掛けようと思ったら、パックの切り餅
と缶詰のあんもあそこで買えるから、買って、餅をあみで焼いて、その餅にあん
をからませれば、「あんころ餅」の出来上がり。 Which is kinda reversed
daifuku mochi.

もっと凝るなら、あそこに餅つき機売ってるから、それともち米買って、つき立
ての餅を楽しむ。注意・・・その餅は冷えると固くなる!

Kevin Gowen

Nov 20, 2002, 10:51:08 AM11/20/02

You should ask ホントのScotsman. They know a lot about it.

- Kevin

Collin McCulley

Nov 20, 2002, 10:54:39 PM11/20/02

"Kevin Gowen" <kgowen...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:3DDBA01C...@myrealbox.com...
> Collin McCulley wrote:

> I am surprised you are having as hard a time as you are, but I am even
> more surprised that you are so determined to find these flavors. They
> aren't very good, you know.

I like them. Well, green tea more than adzuki -- that's
the one I'm really after.

> I suppose your best bet would be the
> Oriental market, although Central Market may have what you seek. Or,
> just switch to butter pecan. MMMMMMM!

Briars vanilla. Or coffee. Or chocolate.

> If you still continue to have bad luck, it would be easy enough to make
> your own green tea ice cream. I have no idea about how you would do go
> about making azuki ice cream, although often such markets carry various
> flavorings for shaved ice. The azuki flavoring sometimes contains the
> beans themselves, so perhaps you could use that. Look at me being all
> helpful with my food preparation tips.

I haven't been able to bring myself to splurge on an
ice cream maker yet, but it's on the list. (Pizza stone first,
though, maybe).

--Collin

Collin McCulley

Nov 20, 2002, 11:06:16 PM11/20/02

"Cindy" <cind...@aol.com> wrote in message news:X3OC9.65756$WL3.29096@rwcrnsc54...

Hmmm. This sounds like a culinary disaster waiting
to happen to me, but it might be interesting to try.
I didn't know they sold anko there, but I'll look for it next time.

BTW, mukashi-mukashi I bought a bag of rice flour thinking
I'd find a use for it, but never have. Any ideas?

--Collin

rose

Nov 20, 2002, 9:08:40 PM11/20/02

Collin McCulley wrote:

> "Kevin Gowen" <kgowen...@myrealbox.com> wrote :

> > I suppose your best bet would be the
> > Oriental market, although Central Market may have what you seek. Or,
> > just switch to butter pecan. MMMMMMM!
>
> Briars vanilla. Or coffee. Or chocolate.

Or strawberry. (^¬^)

□■     <:3 )~
■楽猫 <:3 )~

rose

Nov 20, 2002, 9:17:57 PM11/20/02

Collin McCulley wrote:

> BTW, mukashi-mukashi I bought a bag of rice flour thinking
> I'd find a use for it, but never have. Any ideas?

Lots of ideas ! (^¬^) よだれ~

http://www.komeko.net/indexmain.html

□■     <:3 )~
■楽猫 <:3 )~

Collin McCulley

Nov 20, 2002, 11:32:46 PM11/20/02

"rose" <newsr...@yahoo.co.jp> wrote in message news:3DDC4028...@yahoo.co.jp...

iya da.

--Collin

Collin McCulley

Nov 20, 2002, 11:57:37 PM11/20/02

"rose" <newsr...@yahoo.co.jp> wrote in message news:3DDC4255...@yahoo.co.jp...

> Collin McCulley wrote:
> >
> > BTW, mukashi-mukashi I bought a bag of rice flour thinking
> > I'd find a use for it, but never have. Any ideas?
>
> Lots of ideas ! (^¬^) よだれ~
>
> http://www.komeko.net/indexmain.html

Very nice! Even all divided up by season. I think
I'll try the kushidango first.
Thanks, Rose. (But please stop drooling, it's unseemly).

--Collin

Brett Robson

Nov 21, 2002, 7:01:45 AM11/21/02

Collin McCulley wrote:
> BTW, mukashi-mukashi I bought a bag of rice flour thinking
> I'd find a use for it, but never have. Any ideas?

In the Philipines they make yummy cup-cakes from ground rice and
coconut milk, maybe with a bit of sugar then baked. Not sure how
fine the flour is though, they use a hand grinding machine which
probably makes a fairly coarse flour.

--
Brett Robson
System Administrator

Microsoft programmers proudly add[ed] multitasking
to their operating systems in the 1990s, unaware
that their "innovation" was common commercial
practice in the 1960s. - Philip Greenspun

Collin McCulley

Nov 21, 2002, 12:19:20 AM11/21/02

"Brett Robson" <in...@secret-web.com> wrote in message news:arhibd$fs6$1...@nnrp.gol.com...

> Collin McCulley wrote:
> > BTW, mukashi-mukashi I bought a bag of rice flour thinking
> > I'd find a use for it, but never have. Any ideas?
>
> In the Philipines they make yummy cup-cakes from ground rice and
> coconut milk, maybe with a bit of sugar then baked. Not sure how
> fine the flour is though, they use a hand grinding machine which
> probably makes a fairly coarse flour.

The flour is pretty fine. This recipe sounds a bit like
a macaroon sans almonds. Might make an interesting experiment.
Any idea if there's a leavening agent?

--Collin

Brett Robson

Nov 21, 2002, 8:02:43 AM11/21/02

Wondered what went into macroons.

Hadn't thought about rising. The texture is similar to a muffin,
American muffin not English muffin. I suppose it uses baking powder.

this is not it but sounds nice
http://home.earthlink.net/~vgendrano/ricecake.html
touch of cadomin might be nice

Personal favourite of a recently absent ng member
http://home.earthlink.net/~vgendrano/adobowithpotato.html

Yeah found it "Puto", uses baking powder
http://pinoycityusa.com/cooking/puto.htm
the receipe says 1 cup coconut milk and 1 cup dairy milk but I
don't think they use dairy milk at all.

Collin McCulley

Nov 21, 2002, 1:57:45 AM11/21/02

"Brett Robson" <in...@secret-web.com> wrote in message news:arhltn$goi$1...@nnrp.gol.com...

> Wondered what went into macroons.

Well coconut or almonds, but no flour, apparantly.
Only egg whites.

> Yeah found it "Puto", uses baking powder
> http://pinoycityusa.com/cooking/puto.htm
> the receipe says 1 cup coconut milk and 1 cup dairy milk but I
> don't think they use dairy milk at all.

Thanks. "Puto" reminds me that the last time I was at
the store I couldn't find the potapota crackers I like.
I wonder how hard they'd be to make.

--Collin

Kevin Gowen

Nov 20, 2002, 11:53:40 PM11/20/02
Collin McCulley wrote:
> "Kevin Gowen" <kgowen...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:3DDBA01C...@myrealbox.com...
>> Collin McCulley wrote:
>

>> I am surprised you are having as hard a time as you are, but I am even
>> more surprised that you are so determined to find these flavors. They
>> aren't very good, you know.
>
> I like them. Well, green tea more than adzuki -- that's
> the one I'm really after.

Well, green tea is the one that is easier to find. Why do you keep
romanizing it "adzuki", BTW? Not that I've never seen that romanizaton
before.

>> I suppose your best bet would be the
>> Oriental market, although Central Market may have what you seek. Or,
>> just switch to butter pecan. MMMMMMM!
>
> Briars vanilla. Or coffee. Or chocolate.

Is that anything like Breyer's? I prefer Blue Bell, myself.

>> If you still continue to have bad luck, it would be easy enough to make
>> your own green tea ice cream. I have no idea about how you would do go
>> about making azuki ice cream, although often such markets carry various
>> flavorings for shaved ice. The azuki flavoring sometimes contains the
>> beans themselves, so perhaps you could use that. Look at me being all
>> helpful with my food preparation tips.
>
> I haven't been able to bring myself to splurge on an
> ice cream maker yet, but it's on the list. (Pizza stone first,
> though, maybe).

Ice cream makers aren't that expensive. We have one that cost $30 that
makes 1.5 pints, but have only used it a few times.

- Kevin

rose

Nov 21, 2002, 3:27:12 AM11/21/02

Collin McCulley wrote:

> > > Briars vanilla. Or coffee. Or chocolate.
> >
> > Or strawberry. (^¬^)
>
> iya da.

がーーん Σ( ̄□ ̄;)えーーなんでーー。おいしいのに~~。

□■     <:3 )~
■楽猫 <:3 )~

Ryan Ginstrom

Nov 21, 2002, 4:33:38 AM11/21/02

> Well, green tea is the one that is easier to find. Why do you keep
> romanizing it "adzuki", BTW? Not that I've never seen that romanizaton
> before.

About twice as many hits for "adzuki beans" on Google than "azuki beans."

IIRC, adzuki was romanized when there was still a phonetic distinction
between づ and ず

--
Regards,
Ryan Ginstrom

rose

Nov 21, 2002, 6:59:30 AM11/21/02

Collin McCulley wrote:

> (But please stop drooling, it's unseemly).

But I love dango !

□■     <:3 )~
■楽猫 <:3 )~

Collin McCulley

Nov 21, 2002, 11:06:56 AM11/21/02

"Kevin Gowen" <kgowen...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:3DDC66D4...@myrealbox.com...

> Collin McCulley wrote:
> > "Kevin Gowen" <kgowen...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:3DDBA01C...@myrealbox.com...
> >> Collin McCulley wrote:
> >

> >> I am surprised you are having as hard a time as you are, but I am even
> >> more surprised that you are so determined to find these flavors. They
> >> aren't very good, you know.
> >
> > I like them. Well, green tea more than adzuki -- that's
> > the one I'm really after.
>
> Well, green tea is the one that is easier to find. Why do you keep
> romanizing it "adzuki", BTW? Not that I've never seen that romanizaton
> before.

Because I'm not romanizing the Japanese word.
I'm writing the English one.

> >> I suppose your best bet would be the
> >> Oriental market, although Central Market may have what you seek. Or,
> >> just switch to butter pecan. MMMMMMM!
> >
> > Briars vanilla. Or coffee. Or chocolate.
>
> Is that anything like Breyer's?

Yeah, that one.

> > I haven't been able to bring myself to splurge on an
> > ice cream maker yet, but it's on the list. (Pizza stone first,
> > though, maybe).
>
> Ice cream makers aren't that expensive. We have one that cost $30 that
> makes 1.5 pints, but have only used it a few times.

I know -- there are just a few other things ahead of it
in line. Maybe it'll go on the Christmas list.

--Collin

Collin McCulley

Nov 21, 2002, 11:22:21 AM11/21/02

"Ryan Ginstrom" <gins...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ari99n$i4fun$1...@ID-101276.news.dfncis.de...

Was there a distinction? Both of them are pronounced
"dzu" now, so for pronunciation-based transcription based
on the modern spelling (with ず) I'd still expect "dzu".
Merriam-Webster's definition of "adzuki"
gives "Japanese: azuki" as the etymology.

--Collin

Collin McCulley

Nov 21, 2002, 11:29:25 AM11/21/02

"rose" <newsr...@yahoo.co.jp> wrote in message news:3DDCCAA2...@yahoo.co.jp...

> Collin McCulley wrote:
> >
> > (But please stop drooling, it's unseemly).
>
> But I love dango !

_食う_のが好きだ。 you mean, right? ;-)

--Collin

Ryan Ginstrom

Nov 21, 2002, 9:37:08 AM11/21/02

"Collin McCulley" <cmcc...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Ryan Ginstrom" <gins...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > IIRC, adzuki was romanized when there was still a phonetic distinction
> > between づ and ず
>

> Was there a distinction?

Yes, there was a distinction, just as there was a distinction between を and
お, as well as とう/とお, ゑ/え, etc.

>Both of them are pronounced
> "dzu" now, so for pronunciation-based transcription based
> on the modern spelling (with ず) I'd still expect "dzu".

Actually, I think this is regional -- in some places, they're both "zu." I'm
not aware of any dialects where the distinction is preserved, however.

--
Regards,
Ryan Ginstrom

Kevin Gowen

Nov 21, 2002, 9:45:44 AM11/21/02
Collin McCulley wrote:
> "Ryan Ginstrom" <gins...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ari99n$i4fun$1...@ID-101276.news.dfncis.de...
>>
>> "Kevin Gowen" <kgowen...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > Well, green tea is the one that is easier to find. Why do you keep
>> > romanizing it "adzuki", BTW? Not that I've never seen that romanizaton
>> > before.
>>
>> About twice as many hits for "adzuki beans" on Google than "azuki beans."
>>
>> IIRC, adzuki was romanized when there was still a phonetic distinction
>> between づ and ず
>

> Was there a distinction? Both of them are pronounced
> "dzu" now,

They are? By whom?

> so for pronunciation-based transcription based
> on the modern spelling (with ず) I'd still expect "dzu".

Why? You think that "suzuki" should be "sudzuki", for example?

> Merriam-Webster's definition of "adzuki"
> gives "Japanese: azuki" as the etymology.
>
> --Collin

- Kevin

Kevin Gowen

Nov 21, 2002, 9:51:42 AM11/21/02
Collin McCulley wrote:
> "Kevin Gowen" <kgowen...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:3DDC66D4...@myrealbox.com...
>> Collin McCulley wrote:

>> > I like them. Well, green tea more than adzuki -- that's
>> > the one I'm really after.
>>
>> Well, green tea is the one that is easier to find. Why do you keep
>> romanizing it "adzuki", BTW? Not that I've never seen that romanizaton
>> before.
>
> Because I'm not romanizing the Japanese word.
> I'm writing the English one.

I didn't know that they were mutually exclusive. The OED gives the
spellings of atsuki, adsuki, adzuki, and azuki. Which one is the English
word?

>> > Briars vanilla. Or coffee. Or chocolate.
>>
>> Is that anything like Breyer's?
>
> Yeah, that one.
>

>> > I haven't been able to bring myself to splurge on an
>> > ice cream maker yet, but it's on the list. (Pizza stone first,
>> > though, maybe).
>>
>> Ice cream makers aren't that expensive. We have one that cost $30 that
>> makes 1.5 pints, but have only used it a few times.
>
> I know -- there are just a few other things ahead of it
> in line. Maybe it'll go on the Christmas list.

Why not get the Presto Pizzazz pizza oven instead? The Pizzazz pizza
oven makes your favorite pizza extra delicious! Fresh or frozen,
regular or rising crust, its exclusive RotaBake technology assures
pizzeria perfect results every time.

> --Collin

- Kevin

Kevin Gowen

Nov 21, 2002, 9:53:32 AM11/21/02

やだなー、その下品な言葉づかい。

> --Collin

- Kevin

Collin McCulley

Nov 21, 2002, 12:06:45 PM11/21/02

"Kevin Gowen" <kgowen...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:3DDCF198...@myrealbox.com...

> Collin McCulley wrote:
> > "Ryan Ginstrom" <gins...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ari99n$i4fun$1...@ID-101276.news.dfncis.de...
> >>
> >> "Kevin Gowen" <kgowen...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message

> >> About twice as many hits for "adzuki beans" on Google than "azuki beans."
> >>
> >> IIRC, adzuki was romanized when there was still a phonetic distinction
> >> between づ and ず
> >

> > Was there a distinction? Both of them are pronounced
> > "dzu" now,
>
> They are? By whom?
>
> > so for pronunciation-based transcription based
> > on the modern spelling (with ず) I'd still expect "dzu".
>
> Why? You think that "suzuki" should be "sudzuki", for example?

That would get an English speaker closer to its actual
pronunciation, but no, I don't think it should be romanized
that way.

I can only speak for what I know of hyoujungo. The 'z'
sound is never a "clean" one as in English "zoo". There's
always a little fuzz (the technical term!) in there, but not so
much as "dzu" might suggest. And づ and ず are the same.

http://www.sf.airnet.ne.jp/~ts/japanese/szvowels.html
http://www.sf.airnet.ne.jp/~ts/japanese/tdvowels.html

Such is my understanding from native speakers and
other sources. How do you characterize it?

--Collin

Collin McCulley

Nov 21, 2002, 12:25:32 PM11/21/02

"Kevin Gowen" <kgowen...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:3DDCF2FE...@myrealbox.com...

> Collin McCulley wrote:

> >> Well, green tea is the one that is easier to find. Why do you keep
> >> romanizing it "adzuki", BTW? Not that I've never seen that romanizaton
> >> before.
> >
> > Because I'm not romanizing the Japanese word.
> > I'm writing the English one.
>
> I didn't know that they were mutually exclusive. The OED gives the
> spellings of atsuki, adsuki, adzuki, and azuki. Which one is the English
> word?

I've never seen it in English context where it
wasn't spelled "adzuki". Merriam-Webster has none of
the other three. Can you get them past your spell
checker without it wanting to change them into
"adzuki"? Why would you prefer the least common spellings
over the most common one?

--Collin

Kevin Gowen

Nov 21, 2002, 10:41:25 AM11/21/02
Collin McCulley wrote:
> "Kevin Gowen" <kgowen...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:3DDCF198...@myrealbox.com...
>> Collin McCulley wrote:

>> > Was there a distinction? Both of them are pronounced
>> > "dzu" now,
>>
>> They are? By whom?
>>
>> > so for pronunciation-based transcription based
>> > on the modern spelling (with ず) I'd still expect "dzu".
>>
>> Why? You think that "suzuki" should be "sudzuki", for example?
>
> That would get an English speaker closer to its actual
> pronunciation,

Really? I disagree.

> but no, I don't think it should be romanized
> that way.

Ok.

> I can only speak for what I know of hyoujungo. The 'z'
> sound is never a "clean" one as in English "zoo". There's
> always a little fuzz (the technical term!) in there, but not so
> much as "dzu" might suggest. And づ and ず are the same.
>
> http://www.sf.airnet.ne.jp/~ts/japanese/szvowels.html
> http://www.sf.airnet.ne.jp/~ts/japanese/tdvowels.html
>

> Such is my understanding from native speakers and
> other sources.

I noticed this quote: "Since Japanese people don't distinguish "dz" and
"z", you can pronounce /z/ as "z", not "dz". In fact, /z/ in the middle
of a word is often pronounced as "z".

> How do you characterize it?

I hear a native speaker of Japanese speak Japanese to me all day, every
day, and I disagree that it sounds like "dzu". Ditto for any Japanese
newsbroadcaster I have ever heard. Of course, given that there are well
over 100 million native speakers of Japanese, I am sure that there are
some NSoJ who pronounced ず/づ as you claim, and as the sound clips on
that webpage indicate. It just does not match my experience with the
language, no offense to TAKASUGI Shinji intended.

> --Collin

- Kevin

Kevin Gowen

Nov 21, 2002, 11:03:23 AM11/21/02
Collin McCulley wrote:
> "Kevin Gowen" <kgowen...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:3DDCF2FE...@myrealbox.com...
>> Collin McCulley wrote:

>> > Because I'm not romanizing the Japanese word.
>> > I'm writing the English one.
>>
>> I didn't know that they were mutually exclusive. The OED gives the
>> spellings of atsuki, adsuki, adzuki, and azuki. Which one is the English
>> word?
>
> I've never seen it in English context where it
> wasn't spelled "adzuki".

Did you miss this thread on sci.lang.japan?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?W21E62582

You may also wish to compare:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%22azuki+bean%22
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%22adzuki+bean%22

> Merriam-Webster has none of
> the other three.

Well, it is less comprehensive than the OED.

> Can you get them past your spell
> checker without it wanting to change them into
> "adzuki"?

No.

>Why would you prefer the least common spellings
> over the most common one?

I don't. I've done Google searches for a number of combinations and it
would seem that usage for adzuki and azuki is about even. U.S. pages
tend to use adzuki while non-US pages tend to use azuki. To me, azuki is
more accurate than adzuki, and adzuki just looks weird. It's like
discussing what is the way to romanize 新聞.

> --Collin

- Kevin

rose

Nov 21, 2002, 7:05:57 PM11/21/02