Why Anko is banned but Chocolates is ok?

2 views
Skip to first unread message

Kaz

unread,
Nov 15, 2002, 11:35:43 PM11/15/02
to
About a year ago or so, I was watching "Koko ga hen dayo Nihonjin"
then I heard that foreign people extremely dislike "Anko", and they
were blaming like it's unbelievable, disgusting, savage, crazy to eat
sweetened beans. Beans must not be sweet in the civilized human's
eating habits....something like that.

But I suppose it's a quite contradiction that chocolates are also made
out of beans. It is surely made from Cacao beans. And the chocolates
are surely sweet although some of them are bitter.

One day I brought some of those Anko Sweets to an American person
working together with me but he had got really unpleasant face and he
said like "I won't have such a disgusting piece of shit....stuff like
that". I really have no idea why they really hate that stuff.

Ryan Ginstrom

unread,
Nov 15, 2002, 11:59:25 PM11/15/02
to

"Kaz" <k...@ivebeenframed.com> wrote in message
news:365fcc52.02111...@posting.google.com...

> One day I brought some of those Anko Sweets to an American person
> working together with me but he had got really unpleasant face and he
> said like "I won't have such a disgusting piece of shit....stuff like
> that". I really have no idea why they really hate that stuff.

Don't try to scrutinize us. We are inscrutable.

--
Regards,
Ryan Ginstrom

Michael Cash

unread,
Nov 16, 2002, 1:38:09 AM11/16/02
to
On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 13:59:25 +0900, "Ryan Ginstrom"
<gins...@hotmail.com> bellowed:

Scrute you, buddy.


--

Michael Cash

"Would you please tell the women in Japan that the only thing that doesn't
look slutty in a leopard skin print is a leopard?"

Prof. Briscoe Darling
Mount Pilot College


http://www.sunfield.ne.jp/~mike/
http://www.oldies.jp

obakesan

unread,
Nov 16, 2002, 2:34:50 AM11/16/02
to
HiYa

In article <rtpbtuk4utqb313ua...@4ax.com>, some kind human wrote:
>On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 13:59:25 +0900, "Ryan Ginstrom"
><gins...@hotmail.com> bellowed:
>
>>
>>"Kaz" <k...@ivebeenframed.com> wrote in message
>>news:365fcc52.02111...@posting.google.com...
>>> One day I brought some of those Anko Sweets to an American person
>>> working together with me but he had got really unpleasant face and he
>>> said like "I won't have such a disgusting piece of shit....stuff like
>>> that". I really have no idea why they really hate that stuff.
>>
>>Don't try to scrutinize us. We are inscrutable.
>
>Scrute you, buddy.
>

and here's me been spelling it "scrotum" all this time

say, christmas is getting close, maybe I should snick off a few when I'm back in
Oz?

http://exotic.hypermart.net/scrotum_shop/


might be a dickbag to hang off?

See Ya

--
(when bandwidth gets better ;-)

Chris Eastwood
Photographer, Programmer, Motorcyclist and dingbat

please remove u n d i e s for reply

Kaz

unread,
Nov 16, 2002, 6:02:01 AM11/16/02
to
"Ryan Ginstrom" <gins...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ar4jbh$ffr4m$1...@ID-101276.news.dfncis.de>...

Sorry but it's a serious issue for us since those Tokyo or Kobe type
"Honorary Whites" folks always label Kinai type persons who eat
Japanese Anko sweets as 90 year-old racists. Like the girl who was
told by Matt.
We have a lot of western(mostly French style) confectioneries but we
still like those Ohban-Yaki stuffs too.
Those bigoted pseudo-westerners even label any Kinai person who eats
Anko as Yakuza.
Sometimes they even label a Kinai person who always uses chopsticks as
a Yakuza so I've got to be serious about it.

Michael Cash

unread,
Nov 16, 2002, 7:12:43 AM11/16/02
to
On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 07:34:50 GMT, cjundie...@powerup.com.au
(obakesan) bellowed:

>HiYa
>
>In article <rtpbtuk4utqb313ua...@4ax.com>, some kind human wrote:
>>On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 13:59:25 +0900, "Ryan Ginstrom"
>><gins...@hotmail.com> bellowed:
>>
>>>
>>>"Kaz" <k...@ivebeenframed.com> wrote in message
>>>news:365fcc52.02111...@posting.google.com...
>>>> One day I brought some of those Anko Sweets to an American person
>>>> working together with me but he had got really unpleasant face and he
>>>> said like "I won't have such a disgusting piece of shit....stuff like
>>>> that". I really have no idea why they really hate that stuff.
>>>
>>>Don't try to scrutinize us. We are inscrutable.
>>
>>Scrute you, buddy.
>>
>
>and here's me been spelling it "scrotum" all this time
>
>say, christmas is getting close, maybe I should snick off a few when I'm back in
>Oz?
>
>http://exotic.hypermart.net/scrotum_shop/

Judging by the English, it would seem that Oz is quite the land of
opportunity for enterprising immigrants.

This is quite a way to bestow immortality on a kangaroo....or at least
a portion of him, anyway. I'd hate to be the roo who laid down his
life so his nutsack could end up as a factory second, deeply
discounted while supplies last.


>
>
>might be a dickbag to hang off?

You wouldn't believe the amount of merriment I have singing along with
my mp3s and substituting the words "swing" and "dickbag" into the
songs.

Ken

unread,
Nov 16, 2002, 11:16:29 AM11/16/02
to
Kaz wrote:

> "Ryan Ginstrom" <gins...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Don't try to scrutinize us. We are inscrutable.
>
>
> Sorry of but of it's of a of serious of issue of for of us of since
> of those of Tokyo or of Kobe of type of "Honorary Whites" of folks
> of always of label of Kinai of type of persons of who of eat of
> Japanese of Anko of sweets of as of 90 of year-old of racists.
> Like of the of girl of who of was of told of by of Matt.
> We of have of a lot of western (of mostly of French of style) of
> confectioneries of but of we of still of like of those of Ohban-Yaki
> of stuffs of too.
> Those of bigoted of pseudo-westerners of even of label of any of
> Kinai of person of who of eats of Anko of as of Yakuza.
> Sometimes of they of even of label of Kinai of person of who of
> always of uses of chopsticks of as of Yakuza of so of I've of
> got of to of be of serious of about of it of Tokyo-Japs.


I corrected your stylistic inconsistency for you.

Kevin Gowen

unread,
Nov 16, 2002, 11:37:01 AM11/16/02
to

Isn't it the other way around? Or maybe not. I can't even scrut myself,
because I'm Catholic.

> --
> Regards,
> Ryan Ginstrom

- Kevin

John W.

unread,
Nov 16, 2002, 1:20:34 PM11/16/02
to
k...@ivebeenframed.com (Kaz) wrote in message news:<365fcc52.0211...@posting.google.com>...

Sometimes I think you are victim to the malady that affects most
Japanese I've met. You don't understand the over emotion of
foreigners. To you it's extreme, calling you a savage, etc., but to us
it's just a normal reaction. Nothing offensive, nothing severe. Our
reactions are just big. You read too much into things.

John W.

Brett Robson

unread,
Nov 16, 2002, 1:16:50 PM11/16/02
to
On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 21:12:43 +0900, Michael tapped desperatedly at the keyboard
...

>
>This is quite a way to bestow immortality on a kangaroo....or at least
>a portion of him, anyway. I'd hate to be the roo who laid down his
>life so his nutsack could end up as a factory second, deeply
>discounted while supplies last.


"Hi Michael, I was happy with my kangaroo pouch. This one is going to my
mother-in-law. I may order more later on. Regards, Kevin"

--
from the Linux manual pages:
NAME false - do nothing, unsuccessfully

Hokousha

unread,
Nov 16, 2002, 8:05:22 PM11/16/02
to
k...@ivebeenframed.com (Kaz) wrote in message news:<365fcc52.02111...@posting.google.com>...

> One day I brought some of those Anko Sweets to an American person
> working together with me but he had got really unpleasant face and he
> said like "I won't have such a disgusting piece of shit....stuff like
> that". I really have no idea why they really hate that stuff.

They, us, they, us. Actually I like anko, but I prefer it a bit
sweeter, I think, than most Japanese do. More like what you get in
Chinese yuebing. This time of year we used to have doushaobao every
morning for breakfast in Nanjing. Yum. Nothing better with a cold
glass of milk.

Natto, on the other hand, is clearly disgusting, savage, and inhumane.
A tragic waste of good soybeans. Or even bad soybeans. A group here is
thinking of starting an organization to promote daizu liberation.
Please send money. Later on we'll be staging an intervention where we
try to free captive beans from a natto factory. If only the little
guys could run...

Tim

Jun Miyamoto

unread,
Nov 16, 2002, 8:17:13 PM11/16/02
to

In the Japanese bean paste, the skin of the bean is visible
like the hardshells of shellfish? That may be the source of
disgust. If the skin is not visible, it looks(and tastes) like
just like any other fruit paste used for western baking(date
filling is a good example).

In the USA many people regardless of their etchnicity like
the Chinese sweet rice cake coated with sesame seeds. This
has the bean paste inside but they may or may not use the Japanese
azki bean. In any case any culture has cuisine that seems
disgusting to people outside and even to insiders.

The Japanese may love shellfish like shrimp and crabs or oysters
but these are the most disgusting things I could ever eat and
I don't think I am the only Japanese who feels this way.

In article <365fcc52.02111...@posting.google.com>,

Greg Macdonald

unread,
Nov 16, 2002, 9:47:54 PM11/16/02
to
On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 01:17:13 +0000 (UTC), Jun Miyamoto
<miya...@physics.purdue.edu> spake:

>
>In the Japanese bean paste, the skin of the bean is visible
>like the hardshells of shellfish? That may be the source of
>disgust. If the skin is not visible, it looks(and tastes) like
>just like any other fruit paste used for western baking(date
>filling is a good example).

The texture and appearance of bean paste never affected me in the
slightest-- I just couldn't stand the taste. And I totally disagree
that it taste likes 'any other fruit paste'. I could be an exception,
I dunno.


Kaz

unread,
Nov 16, 2002, 11:23:07 PM11/16/02
to
worth...@yahoo.com (John W.) wrote in message news:<73fde4f0.02111...@posting.google.com>...

Surely it's extreme to me. I really don't like foreigners and those
"Honorary Whites" folks labeling me and other un-westernized Japanese
as savage, Yakuza, uncivilized, cheater, spy, terrorists, etc. How do
you feel if you were the one? I mean how do you feel if you were in
the same situation that people are reviling at you just because you
follow the ordinary traditional culture and habits of your own
country.

> but to us
> it's just a normal reaction. Nothing offensive, nothing severe. Our
> reactions are just big. You read too much into things.

Those over reactions of foreigners don't matter to me at all, but the
infection to those "wanna-be westerner", the "Honorary Whites"
Japanese is the serious issue because they always try to imitate what
the Westeners do, and they always start to bully and discriminate
against people who were disliked by the Westerners. Believe it or not,
the one of the reasons why Osakans have been discriminated by most
Japanese is because foreigners hate it. And that reason was also the
one of motivations to stand as a candidate for the Olympic games of
2008. But it already failed though.

MatthewOutland

unread,
Nov 16, 2002, 11:36:45 PM11/16/02
to
Kevin Gowen <kgowen...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:<3DD6742D...@myrealbox.com>...


I think you can as long as you use contraceptives

MatthewOutland

unread,
Nov 16, 2002, 11:37:15 PM11/16/02
to
i
mean don't use contraceptives

obakesan

unread,
Nov 17, 2002, 12:07:22 AM11/17/02
to
HiYa

In article <67aee454.02111...@posting.google.com>, some kind human
wrote:

>Chinese yuebing. This time of year we used to have doushaobao every


>morning for breakfast in Nanjing. Yum. Nothing better with a cold
>glass of milk.
>
>Natto, on the other hand, is clearly disgusting, savage, and inhumane.
>A tragic waste of good soybeans

which would make cheese a tragic waste of milk then??

Hanako Kobayashi

unread,
Nov 17, 2002, 12:57:00 AM11/17/02
to
Kaz wrote:

> worth...@yahoo.com (John W.) wrote in message news:<73fde4f0.02111...@posting.google.com>...
> > k...@ivebeenframed.com (Kaz) wrote in message news:<365fcc52.0211...@posting.google.com>...
> > >

> > > Sorry but it's a serious issue for us since those Tokyo or Kobe type
> > > "Honorary Whites" folks always label Kinai type persons who eat
> > > Japanese Anko sweets as 90 year-old racists. Like the girl who was
> > > told by Matt.
> > > We have a lot of western(mostly French style) confectioneries but we
> > > still like those Ohban-Yaki stuffs too.
> > > Those bigoted pseudo-westerners even label any Kinai person who eats
> > > Anko as Yakuza.
> > > Sometimes they even label a Kinai person who always uses chopsticks as
> > > a Yakuza so I've got to be serious about it.
> >
> > Sometimes I think you are victim to the malady that affects most
> > Japanese I've met. You don't understand the over emotion of
> > foreigners. To you it's extreme, calling you a savage, etc.,
>
> Surely it's extreme to me. I really don't like foreigners and those
> "Honorary Whites" folks labeling me and other un-westernized Japanese
> as savage, Yakuza, uncivilized, cheater, spy, terrorists, etc. How do
> you feel if you were the one? I mean how do you feel if you were in
> the same situation that people are reviling at you just because you
> follow the ordinary traditional culture and habits of your own
> country.
>

I wouldn't let myself be so sensitive, for starters. You really, really have a chip on your shoulder. If you
think your life is so hard, you should try being a foreigner in Japan sometime. I'm not sure how you came up with
people in Tokyo don't eat Anko, and consider it a kansai 'yakuza' thing. If that's the case, why is it sold in
Tokyo at all, and why do so many places sell it (sometimes at really high prices)?

>
> > but to us
> > it's just a normal reaction. Nothing offensive, nothing severe. Our
> > reactions are just big. You read too much into things.
>
> Those over reactions of foreigners don't matter to me at all, but the
> infection to those "wanna-be westerner", the "Honorary Whites"
> Japanese is the serious issue because they always try to imitate what
> the Westeners do, and they always start to bully and discriminate
> against people who were disliked by the Westerners. Believe it or not,
> the one of the reasons why Osakans have been discriminated by most
> Japanese is because foreigners hate it. And that reason was also the
> one of motivations to stand as a candidate for the Olympic games of
> 2008. But it already failed though.

Hate what. Osaka? I don't believe it. Few foreigners I know hate Osaka (few Japanese, for that matter, but I know
you don't believe that). No, one of the reasons for the historical animosity grew from Osaka being a merchant
town (mainly) and Edo being a samurai town (mostly). The latter wanted to control the former, but everyone knew
that the merchants held the samurai by the balls (and that pissed off the samurai, logically).

John W.

Kevin Gowen

unread,
Nov 17, 2002, 9:26:12 AM11/17/02
to
Brett Robson wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 21:12:43 +0900, Michael tapped desperatedly at the keyboard
> ...
>>
>>This is quite a way to bestow immortality on a kangaroo....or at least
>>a portion of him, anyway. I'd hate to be the roo who laid down his
>>life so his nutsack could end up as a factory second, deeply
>>discounted while supplies last.
>
>
> "Hi Michael, I was happy with my kangaroo pouch. This one is going to my
> mother-in-law. I may order more later on. Regards, Kevin"

Asshole. My mother in-law is dead, you fuck.

- Kevin

Brett Robson

unread,
Nov 17, 2002, 9:58:54 AM11/17/02
to
On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 09:26:12 -0500, Kevin tapped desperatedly at the keyboard

...
>
>Brett Robson wrote:
>>On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 21:12:43 +0900, Michael tapped desperatedly at the keyboard
>> ...
>>>
>>>This is quite a way to bestow immortality on a kangaroo....or at least
>>>a portion of him, anyway. I'd hate to be the roo who laid down his
>>>life so his nutsack could end up as a factory second, deeply
>>>discounted while supplies last.
>>
>>
>> "Hi Michael, I was happy with my kangaroo pouch. This one is going to my
>> mother-in-law. I may order more later on. Regards, Kevin"
>
>Asshole. My mother in-law is dead, you fuck.
>


I guess she won't need one then.

That is a cut and paste from the top page.

Kevin Gowen

unread,
Nov 17, 2002, 10:53:41 AM11/17/02
to
Brett Robson wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 09:26:12 -0500, Kevin tapped desperatedly at the keyboard
> ...
>>
>>Brett Robson wrote:
>>>On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 21:12:43 +0900, Michael tapped desperatedly at the keyboard
>>> ...
>>>>
>>>>This is quite a way to bestow immortality on a kangaroo....or at least
>>>>a portion of him, anyway. I'd hate to be the roo who laid down his
>>>>life so his nutsack could end up as a factory second, deeply
>>>>discounted while supplies last.
>>>
>>>
>>> "Hi Michael, I was happy with my kangaroo pouch. This one is going to my
>>> mother-in-law. I may order more later on. Regards, Kevin"
>>
>>Asshole. My mother in-law is dead, you fuck.
>>
>
>
> I guess she won't need one then.

Neither shall you.

> That is a cut and paste from the top page.

- Kevin

Kaz

unread,
Nov 17, 2002, 12:14:08 PM11/17/02
to
Jun Miyamoto <miya...@physics.purdue.edu> wrote in message news:<ar6qmp$cr7$1...@mozo.cc.purdue.edu>...

> The Japanese may love shellfish like shrimp and crabs or oysters
> but these are the most disgusting things I could ever eat and
> I don't think I am the only Japanese who feels this way.

Do you mean you don't like seafoods at all? As a matter of fact, I
didn't like fish until I get grown up, but now I like them. Shrimp,
crabs and oysters are excellent and I don't understand why you don't
like them. I especially love deep freid oysters(Kaki Furai).I think
also many Americans, especially those in New England region like
oysters too. They eat them raw with ketchup and western wasabi like we
do for sashimi.

Jun Miyamoto

unread,
Nov 17, 2002, 12:27:50 PM11/17/02
to

I am a semi-vegetarian who can eat some fish(only those with scales and
fins like salmon and tuna). Besides those shellfishes scare me.

Whenever I open the New York Times magazines, they show that gigantic
Maine lobsters with HUGE scissors and antennas in colored pictures.
I just cannot identify myself with people who savor them. I just
love vegetables and potatoes and trained myself to be a good cook
without using any meat or fish.


In article <365fcc52.0211...@posting.google.com>,

Jun Miyamoto

unread,
Nov 17, 2002, 12:33:11 PM11/17/02
to

In article <3dd70302...@news.cogeco.ca>,

Maybe it has to do with different nutritious categories? Beans
belong to carbohydrate like rice or potato and they are served
in the western meals as side dishes ? They are not supposed to
be sweetened? If the beans are served just as beans it is OK?

This kind of repulsive reaction does exist even if you are
eating the same thing. I know someone who cannot eat tomatoes
in salads but if it is in the form of pizza sauce it is OK.

I know also someone who can eat fruit with no problems but when
they are made into jams, they just can't. I think visible effects
play a lot here as well as different forms of cooking the same
ingriedients. Interesting.

Greg Macdonald

unread,
Nov 17, 2002, 12:53:58 PM11/17/02
to
On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 17:33:11 +0000 (UTC), Jun Miyamoto
<miya...@physics.purdue.edu> spake:

>
>In article <3dd70302...@news.cogeco.ca>,
>Greg Macdonald <mr_mac_...@SPAMSUCKShotmail.com> wrote:
>>On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 01:17:13 +0000 (UTC), Jun Miyamoto
>><miya...@physics.purdue.edu> spake:
>>
>>>
>>>In the Japanese bean paste, the skin of the bean is visible
>>>like the hardshells of shellfish? That may be the source of
>>>disgust. If the skin is not visible, it looks(and tastes) like
>>>just like any other fruit paste used for western baking(date
>>>filling is a good example).
>>
>>The texture and appearance of bean paste never affected me in the
>>slightest-- I just couldn't stand the taste. And I totally disagree
>>that it taste likes 'any other fruit paste'. I could be an exception,
>>I dunno.
>>
>>
>
>
>
>Maybe it has to do with different nutritious categories? Beans
>belong to carbohydrate like rice or potato and they are served
>in the western meals as side dishes ? They are not supposed to
>be sweetened? If the beans are served just as beans it is OK?

Could be, but not in my case. I LOVE baked beans, especially the maple
syrup flavoured kind. So sweet beans aren't a problem at all. It's
just the particular flavour of whatever bean paste was being used in
the Japanese desserts I was eating that I didn't like.

>This kind of repulsive reaction does exist even if you are
>eating the same thing. I know someone who cannot eat tomatoes
>in salads but if it is in the form of pizza sauce it is OK.
>
>I know also someone who can eat fruit with no problems but when
>they are made into jams, they just can't. I think visible effects
>play a lot here as well as different forms of cooking the same
>ingriedients. Interesting.

That's true, and I've also noted that people can be very picky about
tastes even among the same foods, like me. For example, people that
insist on certain brands of peanut butter, or jams.


Jun Miyamoto

unread,
Nov 17, 2002, 2:07:32 PM11/17/02
to

In article <3dd7d6d5...@news.cogeco.ca>,

Greg Macdonald <mr_mac_...@SPAMSUCKShotmail.com> wrote:
>On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 17:33:11 +0000 (UTC), Jun Miyamoto
><miya...@physics.purdue.edu> spake:
>
>>
>>In article <3dd70302...@news.cogeco.ca>,
>>Greg Macdonald <mr_mac_...@SPAMSUCKShotmail.com> wrote:
>>>On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 01:17:13 +0000 (UTC), Jun Miyamoto
>>><miya...@physics.purdue.edu> spake:
>>>
>>>>
>>>>In the Japanese bean paste, the skin of the bean is visible
>>>>like the hardshells of shellfish? That may be the source of
>>>>disgust. If the skin is not visible, it looks(and tastes) like
>>>>just like any other fruit paste used for western baking(date
>>>>filling is a good example).
>>>
>>>The texture and appearance of bean paste never affected me in the
>>>slightest-- I just couldn't stand the taste. And I totally disagree
>>>that it taste likes 'any other fruit paste'. I could be an exception,
>>>I dunno.
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>Maybe it has to do with different nutritious categories? Beans
>>belong to carbohydrate like rice or potato and they are served
>>in the western meals as side dishes ? They are not supposed to
>>be sweetened? If the beans are served just as beans it is OK?
>
>Could be, but not in my case. I LOVE baked beans, especially the maple
>syrup flavoured kind. So sweet beans aren't a problem at all. It's
>just the particular flavour of whatever bean paste was being used in
>the Japanese desserts I was eating that I didn't like.

I believe it is the azuki beans(shining purple color and thick skin
not easy to make it invisible even after smashed in the blender)
that make the Japanese bean paste. I think it is common to make
something sweet out of it in the Japanese cooking but there have to
be other dishes using the same bean even in Japan.

Western vegetarian cook books do list some dishes that call for azuki
beans and I recommend you try those and see how you feel.

Greg Macdonald

unread,
Nov 17, 2002, 7:04:06 PM11/17/02
to
On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 19:07:32 +0000 (UTC), Jun Miyamoto
<miya...@physics.purdue.edu> spake:

>I believe it is the azuki beans(shining purple color and thick skin


>not easy to make it invisible even after smashed in the blender)
>that make the Japanese bean paste. I think it is common to make
>something sweet out of it in the Japanese cooking but there have to
>be other dishes using the same bean even in Japan.
>
>Western vegetarian cook books do list some dishes that call for azuki
>beans and I recommend you try those and see how you feel.

I'll give them a try sometime... even though I'm *really* short of
vegetarian cookbooks :)


Kaz

unread,
Nov 17, 2002, 8:02:09 PM11/17/02
to
"Hanako Kobayashi" <han...@uclink4.berkeley.edu> wrote in message
news:3DD72FAC...@NOSPAM.yahoo.com...

I don't think I'm sensitive though. Considering those offensive attitudes
toward us, I am still rather optimistic than other Osakans.

> for starters. You really, really have a chip on your shoulder. If you
> think your life is so hard, you should try being a foreigner in Japan
sometime.

Those people in Kinai are not even treated, or considered as the Japanese
nationals these days, maybe due to our hatred and ridicule against the
pseudo western things of the Tokyo imperial totalitarian civilization and
its
severe centralization. So we are somewhat non-Japanese anyway, and I don't
understand what you mean "be foreigner sometime". . We are often treated as
the Koreans or the Chinese and we have been being a sort of non-Japanese
over too
long period. If you mean foreigners as Caucasians, it's is completely a
contradiction and
ridiculous since I could never change my DNA.

And if I, or Osakans become being the more like non-Japanese, the more
severe discrimination and exclusion will be practiced by the imperial Tokyo
folks.

> I'm not sure how you came up with
> people in Tokyo don't eat Anko, and consider it a kansai 'yakuza' thing.
If that's the case, why is it sold in
> Tokyo at all, and why do so many places sell it (sometimes at really high
prices)?

Please don't misunderstand. What I mean Tokyo is the region of Yamanote
area. The Edo region, The region that has been existing from the Edo era is
not included to my meaning of Tokyo. To me the region is not Tokyo but it's
Edo. And of course there are sweetie stores that sell Anko sweets, however,
you
seldom find any store selling those Anko stuffs in the "Pseudo-Western"
"Honorary Whites" region of Tokyo(Yamanote).
Even though you may find a few, it is definitely far less
stores than the Edo region. And those people in Tokyo(Yamanote) definitely
tend to despise those Anko-eating folks in the Edo region. And maybe the
only premium Anko sweets are sold in the Tokyo region and that's why
sometimes they are sold at really high prices, I suppose.

> > > but to us
> > > it's just a normal reaction. Nothing offensive, nothing severe. Our
> > > reactions are just big. You read too much into things.
> >
> > Those over reactions of foreigners don't matter to me at all, but the
> > infection to those "wanna-be westerner", the "Honorary Whites"
> > Japanese is the serious issue because they always try to imitate what
> > the Westeners do, and they always start to bully and discriminate
> > against people who were disliked by the Westerners. Believe it or not,
> > the one of the reasons why Osakans have been discriminated by most
> > Japanese is because foreigners hate it. And that reason was also the
> > one of motivations to stand as a candidate for the Olympic games of
> > 2008. But it already failed though.
>
> Hate what. Osaka? I don't believe it. Few foreigners I know hate Osaka
(few Japanese, for that
> matter, but I know
> you don't believe that).

At least, there are a lot of Japanese despise and hate Osakans and the
Koreans. If you don't know that fact, you maybe stayed too long in somewhere
in overseas.


> No, one of the reasons for the historical animosity grew from Osaka being
a merchant
> town (mainly) and Edo being a samurai town (mostly). The latter wanted to
control the former, but > everyone knew
> that the merchants held the samurai by the balls (and that pissed off the
samurai, logically).

Osakan merchants are like Jews of Japan, and those imperial Tokyo samurai
racialists are just like those White supremacists.

I envy the fact that the Jews have been in the high position of its country,
while Osakan merchants are classified as just a sort of slaves in Japan.

> John W.

Why do you have two names? Which are you, John or Hanako?

John W.

unread,
Nov 17, 2002, 8:57:43 PM11/17/02
to
Kaz wrote:


>
> Those people in Kinai are not even treated, or considered as the Japanese
> nationals these days, maybe due to our hatred and ridicule against the
> pseudo western things of the Tokyo imperial totalitarian civilization and
> its
> severe centralization. So we are somewhat non-Japanese anyway, and I don't
> understand what you mean "be foreigner sometime". . We are often treated as
> the Koreans or the Chinese and we have been being a sort of non-Japanese
> over too
> long period. If you mean foreigners as Caucasians, it's is completely a
> contradiction and
> ridiculous since I could never change my DNA.
>

Interesting. So on the one hand you profess that 'Kinai' people are more
kind/friendly/accepting to foreigners (if I had more time/interest I'd look up
the posts where you've said this), but you can't be because you're anti
"Western-loving" Tokyo Japs.

And if you'd take the time to use your noggin' you'd know that I meant it's
much, much more difficult to be a foreigner in Japan than it is to be a
Japanese.


>
> And if I, or Osakans become being the more like non-Japanese, the more
> severe discrimination and exclusion will be practiced by the imperial Tokyo
> folks.
>

But I thought those Tokyo bastards were pro West?

>
>
> Please don't misunderstand. What I mean Tokyo is the region of Yamanote
> area. The Edo region, The region that has been existing from the Edo era is
> not included to my meaning of Tokyo. To me the region is not Tokyo but it's
> Edo. And of course there are sweetie stores that sell Anko sweets, however,
> you
> seldom find any store selling those Anko stuffs in the "Pseudo-Western"
> "Honorary Whites" region of Tokyo(Yamanote).

How much you want to bet someone can't run down to the Yamanote region and find
some Anko-selling shops?

>
> Even though you may find a few, it is definitely far less
> stores than the Edo region. And those people in Tokyo(Yamanote) definitely
> tend to despise those Anko-eating folks in the Edo region. And maybe the
> only premium Anko sweets are sold in the Tokyo region and that's why
> sometimes they are sold at really high prices, I suppose.
>
>

>


> At least, there are a lot of Japanese despise and hate Osakans and the
> Koreans. If you don't know that fact, you maybe stayed too long in somewhere
> in overseas.
>

No, I know that there are such prejudices. But this is pervasive in Japan, not
just Kansai or Tokyo. People from the Nagoya region are looked down on, so are
folks in Hiroshima, Tokai, Hokkaido, pick a place and everyone else in Japan
will have some prejudice against them. I think it has something to do with very
low self esteem.

>
> Osakan merchants are like Jews of Japan, and those imperial Tokyo samurai
> racialists are just like those White supremacists.
>
> I envy the fact that the Jews have been in the high position of its country,
> while Osakan merchants are classified as just a sort of slaves in Japan.
>

I doubt this is true. Besides, the only reason the Jews were given Israel is
because nobody in Europe wanted a large Jewish population.

>
> > John W.
>
> Why do you have two names? Which are you, John or Hanako?

John. I forgot to delete my wife's name from Netscape. But like all marriages
we're sort of the same person by now anyway (which is one reason I take such
great offense to your insults against her home town).

John W.

MonkeyBoy

unread,
Nov 17, 2002, 9:47:53 PM11/17/02
to
"Red Bean Rising"

Okay, let's not go jumping to generalizations here. Not all
westerners hate anko (especially when preceeded with an "M" heh heh)

Anyway, I like it, though it can be a bit sweet when there is a large
amount of it. I think it's great on green tea ice cream too :-)

But, then again, I also like natto - am I strange? Am I . . .
different?

Also, Kaz, I have a great deal of respect for those Japanese who are
proud of and hold true to their culture.

- MonkeyBoy


k...@ivebeenframed.com (Kaz) wrote in message news:<365fcc52.02111...@posting.google.com>...


> About a year ago or so, I was watching "Koko ga hen dayo Nihonjin"
> then I heard that foreign people extremely dislike "Anko", and they
> were blaming like it's unbelievable, disgusting, savage, crazy to eat
> sweetened beans. Beans must not be sweet in the civilized human's
> eating habits....something like that.
>
> But I suppose it's a quite contradiction that chocolates are also made
> out of beans. It is surely made from Cacao beans. And the chocolates
> are surely sweet although some of them are bitter.
>

John W.

unread,
Nov 17, 2002, 9:56:48 PM11/17/02
to
MonkeyBoy wrote:

> "Red Bean Rising"
>
> Okay, let's not go jumping to generalizations here. Not all
> westerners hate anko (especially when preceeded with an "M" heh heh)
>
> Anyway, I like it, though it can be a bit sweet when there is a large
> amount of it. I think it's great on green tea ice cream too :-)
>
> But, then again, I also like natto - am I strange? Am I . . .
> different?
>
> Also, Kaz, I have a great deal of respect for those Japanese who are
> proud of and hold true to their culture.
>

From this statement can it be assumed that you don't respect Kaz? He only respects a tiny portion of his
country's culture, and hates the rest of it.

John W.

Matthew Caesar

unread,
Nov 17, 2002, 11:22:09 PM11/17/02
to

"Kaz" <k...@ivebeenframed.com> wrote in message
news:365fcc52.0211...@posting.google.com...

> Jun Miyamoto <miya...@physics.purdue.edu> wrote in message
news:<ar6qmp$cr7$1...@mozo.cc.purdue.edu>...
>
> > The Japanese may love shellfish like shrimp and crabs or oysters
> > but these are the most disgusting things I could ever eat and
> > I don't think I am the only Japanese who feels this way.
>
> Do you mean you don't like seafoods at all? As a matter of fact, I
> didn't like fish until I get grown up, but now I like them.

Jun said "shellfish," not "seafood."

>Shrimp,
> crabs and oysters are excellent and I don't understand why you don't
> like them. I especially love deep freid oysters(Kaki Furai).

Purely your opinion Kaz. You seem to not want to respect the opinions of
others. Personally, I like shellfish. But Jun may not, for their taste,
smell, texture...the list can go on. People are ALLOWED not to like
something. GASP. Other people of the same nationality dislike something
you do? I guess they must be from Tokyo.

Oh wait, the Tokyo-japs aren't true Japanese like those from Kinai, right?

>I think
> also many Americans, especially those in New England region like
> oysters too. They eat them raw with ketchup and western wasabi like we
> do for sashimi.

"Western" wasabi? Horseradish is horseradish, Kaz. I don't give wasabi an
"eastern" designation. Quit segragating everything so much.

And for your information, personally, I love anko. Mmm. Not a big fan of
natto or tororo imo though.

--
Matt


Kaz

unread,
Nov 18, 2002, 12:46:23 AM11/18/02
to

"Matthew Caesar" <mca...@student.nospam.umass.edu> wrote in message
news:3dd86b29$1...@oit.umass.edu...

>
> "Kaz" <k...@ivebeenframed.com> wrote in message
> news:365fcc52.0211...@posting.google.com...
> > Jun Miyamoto <miya...@physics.purdue.edu> wrote in message
> news:<ar6qmp$cr7$1...@mozo.cc.purdue.edu>...
> >
> > > The Japanese may love shellfish like shrimp and crabs or oysters
> > > but these are the most disgusting things I could ever eat and
> > > I don't think I am the only Japanese who feels this way.
> >
> > Do you mean you don't like seafoods at all? As a matter of fact, I
> > didn't like fish until I get grown up, but now I like them.
>
> Jun said "shellfish," not "seafood."

I am just asking him if he dislikes seafoods. And that is not any of your
business whether I ask him if he likes or not. ANY HUMAN IS ALLOWED TO ASK
ANYBODY unless you rule me or you rule the globe.

>
> >Shrimp,
> > crabs and oysters are excellent and I don't understand why you don't
> > like them. I especially love deep freid oysters(Kaki Furai).
>
> Purely your opinion Kaz. You seem to not want to respect the opinions of
> others.

It's just your silly reasoning. It seems a dictatorial person like you
always judge by his silly egoistic point of view.
I am merely explaining what I like. Is human NOT ALLOWED to express what he
likes to eat in your doctrine that is supposed to be defined as superior by
only you? And don't call my name. I don't like someone new to me calling my
name.

> Personally, I like shellfish.

Purely it's just your opinion.

> But Jun may not, for their taste,
> smell, texture...the list can go on. People are ALLOWED not to like
> something.

Although it's Anko, people are also ALLOWED to eat anything he likes.
Anko has nothing to do with classic jap Yakuza things.

GASP. Other people of the same nationality dislike something
> you do? I guess they must be from Tokyo.

You seem like you are completely blind about how those Tokyo-japs detest us.


> Oh wait, the Tokyo-japs aren't true Japanese like those from Kinai, right?

But they insist that they are the true Japanese and we are the Korean
bastards.

> >I think
> > also many Americans, especially those in New England region like
> > oysters too. They eat them raw with ketchup and western wasabi like we
> > do for sashimi.
>
> "Western" wasabi? Horseradish is horseradish, Kaz. I don't give wasabi
an
> "eastern" designation. Quit segragating everything so much.

It is free to call anything any name. And it's none of your business what
name he calls. Just don't force anyone with your self-centered opinion. I
don't care whether you give it or not. It's not my business at all..

>
> And for your information, personally, I love anko. Mmm. Not a big fan of
> natto or tororo imo though.

Purely it's just your opinion. It's simply none of my business whether you
like Anko or not, or whether you hate natto or not at all.

Matthew Caesar

unread,
Nov 18, 2002, 1:22:26 AM11/18/02
to

"Kaz" <KazR...@ivebeenframed.com> wrote in message
news:oA7jJYs...@newsthru.thrunet.com...

> And don't call my name. I don't like someone new to me calling my
> name.

Then don't use it as your internet identity. Use some moniker if you don't
want people to call you by your name.

> > Personally, I like shellfish.
>
> Purely it's just your opinion.
>
> > But Jun may not, for their taste,
> > smell, texture...the list can go on. People are ALLOWED not to like
> > something.
>
> Although it's Anko, people are also ALLOWED to eat anything he likes.
> Anko has nothing to do with classic jap Yakuza things.

I don't understand this statement at all.

> You seem like you are completely blind about how those Tokyo-japs detest
us.

Oh, I've seen it...when people ask me if there was anyplace else in Japan I
would like to study at in the future, I always reply Kansai. Oh boy.

> > >I think
> > > also many Americans, especially those in New England region like
> > > oysters too. They eat them raw with ketchup and western wasabi like we
> > > do for sashimi.
> >
> > "Western" wasabi? Horseradish is horseradish, Kaz. I don't give wasabi
> an
> > "eastern" designation. Quit segragating everything so much.
>
> It is free to call anything any name. And it's none of your business what
> name he calls. Just don't force anyone with your self-centered opinion. I
> don't care whether you give it or not. It's not my business at all..

You complain about how the Tokyo-japs get you down through their unofficial
segregation, yet you then go and segregate everything else. Hmm...makes
PERFECT sense to me.

> > And for your information, personally, I love anko. Mmm. Not a big fan
of
> > natto or tororo imo though.
>
> Purely it's just your opinion. It's simply none of my business whether you
> like Anko or not, or whether you hate natto or not at all.

Then, please enlighten me.

Why did you start this whole rant about how anko was "banned?" Your
coworker didn't like it. The people on Koko ga Hen didn't like it. Surely
you can't assume that all westerners dislike it then? Perhaps your usage of
the word "banned" in the subject lead me astray. By your own logic then, it
is simply none of your business if your coworker or the people on Koko ga
Hen dislike anko. So give it a rest.

Frankly, anyone who says that eating sweetened beans is "unbelievable,
disgusting, savage" etc, is an idiot. Try to take stuff like that with a
grain of salt. After all, the point of a show like Koko ga Hen (or anything
else on TV for that matter) is for entertainment value. It riled you up.
Sadly, not all of us find your ranting to be very entertaining.

--
Matt


Greg Macdonald

unread,
Nov 18, 2002, 1:24:21 AM11/18/02
to
On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 14:46:23 +0900, "Kaz"
<KazR...@ivebeenframed.com> spake:


>> >Shrimp,
>> > crabs and oysters are excellent and I don't understand why you don't
>> > like them. I especially love deep freid oysters(Kaki Furai).
>>
>> Purely your opinion Kaz. You seem to not want to respect the opinions of
>> others.
>
>It's just your silly reasoning. It seems a dictatorial person like you
>always judge by his silly egoistic point of view.
>I am merely explaining what I like. Is human NOT ALLOWED to express what he
>likes to eat in your doctrine that is supposed to be defined as superior by
>only you? And don't call my name. I don't like someone new to me calling my
>name.

Interesting that you criticize him for having a 'dictatorial'
attitude, and then slide right into some dictations of your own. And
if you don't want people to use your name, post anonymously. Or not at
all. This is a public forum, as you have stridently noted.